742 posts

Edited Apr 22, 2014, 11:42
Re: Jeff Beck
Apr 22, 2014, 11:41
tiompan wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
I didn't get very far with the first clip, to be honest, and the second was better but didn't really do anything for me. I liked The Yardbirds one best of all, but it was still so so. His thing seems to be an exercise in technique expertise overall - I didn't find it soulful. Maybe that's just me though.

Oddly enough the usual view of him is that he eschews technique and attempts to get closer to a voice ,and thus that wee bit more soulful than a machine producing the pitches .

The fusion that JP posted worked for me, definitely. Very soulful playing. Superb. I totally get Jeff Beck when he's working in that genre. I think it's just his blues material that doesn't do much for me.

His early influences are rock n roll and blues , his blues stuff usually had something extra , never quite straight which made it a bit more interesting even to the extent of bringing in a bit of humour , but he was never considered a blueser in the same school as the Mayall / other blues band players .
Goodbye pork hat whilst bluesy is actually a Charlie Mingus tune and was originally recorded with Jan Hammer so it belongs to his fusion period .
I quite like his fusion stuff but I'm not a fusion fan ,I like jazz but and only some rock but the two together rarely work for me ,apart from Miles . I don't hear the fusion stuff as being soulful at all ,whereas some of the attaempts at echoing voices and ballads can be .

Interesting. I love Mingus, Coltrane, Miles etc and as for late Coltrane, Ayler etc I find it very soulful. I hear something in, sort of like chaos theory creating something transcendent. I thought beck's fusion playing was very 'spiritual'.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Apr 22, 2014, 12:13
Astralcat wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
I didn't get very far with the first clip, to be honest, and the second was better but didn't really do anything for me. I liked The Yardbirds one best of all, but it was still so so. His thing seems to be an exercise in technique expertise overall - I didn't find it soulful. Maybe that's just me though.

Oddly enough the usual view of him is that he eschews technique and attempts to get closer to a voice ,and thus that wee bit more soulful than a machine producing the pitches .

The fusion that JP posted worked for me, definitely. Very soulful playing. Superb. I totally get Jeff Beck when he's working in that genre. I think it's just his blues material that doesn't do much for me.

His early influences are rock n roll and blues , his blues stuff usually had something extra , never quite straight which made it a bit more interesting even to the extent of bringing in a bit of humour , but he was never considered a blueser in the same school as the Mayall / other blues band players .
Goodbye pork hat whilst bluesy is actually a Charlie Mingus tune and was originally recorded with Jan Hammer so it belongs to his fusion period .
I quite like his fusion stuff but I'm not a fusion fan ,I like jazz but and only some rock but the two together rarely work for me ,apart from Miles . I don't hear the fusion stuff as being soulful at all ,whereas some of the attaempts at echoing voices and ballads can be .

Interesting. I love Mingus, Coltrane, Miles etc and as for late Coltrane, Ayler etc I find it very soulful. I hear something in, sort of like chaos theory creating something transcendent. I thought beck's fusion playing was very 'spiritual'.

Ayler , Coltrane ,Coleman etc can be soulful but they are a long way from fusion for me .
Some Joe Zawinul has often struck me , and surprisingly for a fusion /kybrd as "soulful" ,even a bit folky (maybe the European influence coming out ) and Wayne Shorter definitely so but most of it leaves me cold .
I find it difficult to separate Coltrane's technical achievements and his interests from the overall appreciation , a bit like Wagner or the Stanely Bros , your knowledge of their personalities and beliefs colours the experience .
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Apr 22, 2014, 12:32
tiompan wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Astralcat wrote:

Ayler , Coltrane ,Coleman etc can be soulful but they are a long way from fusion for me .
Some Joe Zawinul has often struck me , and surprisingly for a fusion /kybrd as "soulful" ,even a bit folky (maybe the European influence coming out ) and Wayne Shorter definitely so but most of it leaves me cold .
I find it difficult to separate Coltrane's technical achievements and his interests from the overall appreciation , a bit like Wagner or the Stanely Bros , your knowledge of their personalities and beliefs colours the experience .

Of course I wasn't saying they were fusion. I love quite a lot of free jazz and certain, not all, fusion. I think knowing Coltrane's spiritual philosophy could, but not necessarily influence one's listening experience. In my case it probably does in a positive sense. I haven't heard of Jow Zawinul. I'll check him out. Thanks for the heads up!
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Apr 22, 2014, 12:54
I haven't heard of Jow Zawinul. I'll check him out. Thanks for the heads up![/quote]

You'll know this .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae0nwSv6cTU

Cheery stuff ,as close as fusion has got to pop .
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Apr 22, 2014, 13:09
tiompan wrote:
I haven't heard of Jow Zawinul. I'll check him out. Thanks for the heads up!

You'll know this .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae0nwSv6cTU

Cheery stuff ,as close as fusion has got to pop .[/quote]

I haven't actually! I only have one Weather Report album, 'Mysterious Traveller', which I got from the library. I didn't realise he was in them. I more of a Mahavishnu head you see.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Apr 22, 2014, 13:37
Rod's actually pretty good up to about the mid 70s when he became mega popular. The first solo lps which are compiled on Reason To Believe are great up to the 4th one at least.
Faces are pretty good as are most of the things he did in the 60s.

Shame that the one time British great vocalist turned into the stereotype feather headed leaopard skin jean wearing cartoon character. Not sure if he's got back from there since. Do we think you're sexy, no you're a himbo. Odd, he started as a beatnik before becoming the mod with the tallest bouffant backcomb job.

Stevo
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Apr 22, 2014, 13:51
THere was a great career spanning compi of the Yardbirds that came out in 2001 on Rhino called Ultimate! which has mostof the Beck era material on as well as most of the best of tHe Clapton and Page eras.
Unfortunately looks like it may be OOP at the moment since price on Amazon is rising. Would be worth looking around for. Great stuff on there by all 3+ line ups.

I had a lot of the Roger The Engineer material on my old walkman and it turned up frequently on random. That material is superlative.
Stevo
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Apr 22, 2014, 14:50
I just get can't get past the fact that it's Rod. Daft I know, but I can't help it, and even if I could, I far prefer The Small Faces. The lads rock thing doesn't do much for me either, whereas the SM's great soul mod pop and psychedelia is, to my taste at least, far better and in a different league altogether.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Apr 22, 2014, 23:09
click on my name and arcane secrets will be revealed
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Apr 23, 2014, 09:05
Will do!