Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Edited Apr 21, 2014, 14:20
Re: Jeff Beck
Apr 21, 2014, 14:20
I'm very partial to jazz/fusion so I shall give these a go. You may have just cracked it for me! Nice one.
konaman
konaman
533 posts

Apr 21, 2014, 15:58
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ndyILodYwM

has a bit of everything.....
wychburyman
951 posts

Apr 21, 2014, 17:58
The only album I have is " Guitar Workshop" which is really nice. I'm going to see home in Brum this week funnily enough. Not a big fan, but tagging along with some friends. Should be interesting. He's often cited as the musicians musician
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Apr 21, 2014, 18:58
I've got the complete UPP recordings somewhere if you want a copy?
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Apr 22, 2014, 01:59
...and often regarded as the greatest extant guitarist. Not by me. But I agree with his choice for that accolade: John McLaughlin.
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Edited Apr 22, 2014, 08:52
Apr 22, 2014, 08:45
Oh now that's more like it! SUPERB! The UPP and Jan Hammer stuff definitely stimulated my fusion back brain and funked up my synapses!

Your friend's very nice as well. Say hello. From me. Obviously.

ps: Beck links posted on my fb page :-)
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Apr 22, 2014, 08:46
I'd love a copy. That's really kind of you. Thanks!
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Apr 22, 2014, 09:44
Some of JBs favourite solos . He has also championed Hank Marvin & Billy Gibbons ,as well as the more obvious Cliff Gallup and Les Paul .
http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/jeff-becks-favourite-guitar-solos-of-all-time-388049
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Apr 22, 2014, 10:03
tiompan wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
I didn't get very far with the first clip, to be honest, and the second was better but didn't really do anything for me. I liked The Yardbirds one best of all, but it was still so so. His thing seems to be an exercise in technique expertise overall - I didn't find it soulful. Maybe that's just me though.

Oddly enough the usual view of him is that he eschews technique and attempts to get closer to a voice ,and thus that wee bit more soulful than a machine producing the pitches .

The fusion that JP posted worked for me, definitely. Very soulful playing. Superb. I totally get Jeff Beck when he's working in that genre. I think it's just his blues material that doesn't do much for me.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Apr 22, 2014, 10:37
Astralcat wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
I didn't get very far with the first clip, to be honest, and the second was better but didn't really do anything for me. I liked The Yardbirds one best of all, but it was still so so. His thing seems to be an exercise in technique expertise overall - I didn't find it soulful. Maybe that's just me though.

Oddly enough the usual view of him is that he eschews technique and attempts to get closer to a voice ,and thus that wee bit more soulful than a machine producing the pitches .

The fusion that JP posted worked for me, definitely. Very soulful playing. Superb. I totally get Jeff Beck when he's working in that genre. I think it's just his blues material that doesn't do much for me.

His early influences are rock n roll and blues , his blues stuff usually had something extra , never quite straight which made it a bit more interesting even to the extent of bringing in a bit of humour , but he was never considered a blueser in the same school as the Mayall / other blues band players .
Goodbye pork hat whilst bluesy is actually a Charlie Mingus tune and was originally recorded with Jan Hammer so it belongs to his fusion period .
I quite like his fusion stuff but I'm not a fusion fan ,I like jazz but and only some rock but the two together rarely work for me ,apart from Miles . I don't hear the fusion stuff as being soulful at all ,whereas some of the attaempts at echoing voices and ballads can be .
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index