Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

Re: Record Store Day
Apr 17, 2014, 16:40
anthonyqkiernan wrote:
Oh, may I recommend this (not the most Google-able band).

Tasty. Got a track called Driver by them. Sure they'd be a blast at a live show. Seem to be on the edge of falling apart but probably really tight in reality.
veneta1
223 posts

Apr 19, 2014, 00:34
Superb article on The Quietus about RSD:

http://thequietus.com/articles/15031-record-store-day-2014-problems-distribution-vinyl

I've got to say that I tend towards the comments made by Manchester record label, Modern Love.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2613 posts

Edited Apr 19, 2014, 20:47
Re: Record Store Day - update
Apr 19, 2014, 16:28
I see that RSD isn't even over yet and some greedy bastards are already asking over £50 on eBay for the Paul Weller 45. I don't care what anyone says about RSD helping independent shops, there's something dreadfully unsound about the whole grasping concept as far as I'm concerned. It needs some serious rethinking, maybe along the same lines as football clubs use to ensure only genuine supporters get tickets for plumb away games, i.e. only regular customers get to buy limited editions.

As it stands, Record Store Day sucks. I ignored the whole sodding farce today and bought something I really wanted from a well known high street shop instead. And I'll be playing it for musical pleasure, not selling the fucker for profit as soon as I can find a computer to access eBay.

RSD "exclusives" seem to share the same fate as Star Wars blister packed toys and boxed Dinky cars - in other words, items that are meant for pleasure but only get collected rather than enjoyed. How tragic is that? And is that really the intention by the creative artists concerned? Did Paul Weller really record his latest 45 with the aim of making 350 people richer? I bloody hope not. Either way, it's already pretty damned obvious that not all of the purchasers of his record are Weller fans. Wouldn't it be great if Virgin mass-released it after all at normal price, thus thwarting the RSD touts?

(I've just clocked Davey B's separate thread that makes a similar point. More fool the daft bastards who line the greedy profiteers' pockets.)
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Apr 19, 2014, 20:49
What he said. Never taken part myself, always saw it as an excuse for retailers to ramp the prices of product. I've taken to buying straight from the source (i.e. the bands/artists themselves) as much as possible in recent years, or if not ordering from the smaller labels like Cardinal Fuzz etc.

And if proof was ever needed of blatant profiteering...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/westerntowers/m.html?item=351052823350&hash=item51bc60fb36&pt=UK_Records&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Looks like this 'guy' bought a load of stock just to ramp up the profits. Not the worst offender by far, but they certainly didn't buy m' cos' they wanted to own or listen to the product.
flashbackcaruso
1057 posts

Apr 20, 2014, 12:38
Was planning a long overdue visit to Rough Trade yesterday and only realised it was RSD at the last minute, so had a look at the list of releases to see if there was anything I should keep an eye out for. Sadly there was no sign of the Anne Briggs EP, but was pleased to find they still had Michael Chapman's 'Playing Guitar The Easy Way'. Its additional educational value made it feel worth paying the seemingly standard £21.99 for it, but I looked on Amazon for more Chapman vinyl and saw it available there for around £5 less. Really doesn't make sense this whole RSD lark, does it?
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Edited Apr 20, 2014, 14:45
Apr 20, 2014, 14:44
Had another thought about all this; from I'm not sure when, there has been a general enthusiasm over what any given recording was 'worth', even/especially amongst genuine fans, so it's all become a bit of one of those self-fulfilling ones.

Perhaps they ought now to be burning copies of 'Record Collector', who knows.

:-/

x
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Apr 20, 2014, 15:21
I didn't bother with RSD this year, and have never lined up in previous years. I like the idea of small record stores getting huge sales, but the whole instant markup and flipping of these "rarities" is beyond preposterous.

I've never noticed any retailers who are gouging people, only ebay sellers. If people would simply refuse to pay high prices, then there would be no insane mark-ups. I fully blame people who have-to-have-it and pay whatever someone asks. They are enabling everything which people despise about RSD.

I spent RSD shopping for antiques and furniture with my family. It was finally spring, and we went on a road trip. We found a couple of occasional chairs for $50 each, and my daughter spent her money on candy. Best RSD ever!
veneta1
223 posts

Apr 20, 2014, 17:57
sanshee wrote:
Had another thought about all this; from I'm not sure when, there has been a general enthusiasm over what any given recording was 'worth', even/especially amongst genuine fans, so it's all become a bit of one of those self-fulfilling ones.

Perhaps they ought now to be burning copies of 'Record Collector', who knows.

:-/

x

I'll tell you exactly what an RSD vinyl LP is worth.

Yesterday, I went into a noted record shop in Manchester and bought two vinyl albums at £17.99 and £16.99 respectively. I was happy to pay the prices, although if they'd been released at any other time of the year they'd probably have been about £2-£3 cheaper.

Today, the album I paid £16.99 for is available from an Amazon marketplace seller for £6.98 plus £1.26 p&p.

Let's just say that I'm less than happy with this new information.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Apr 20, 2014, 18:41
Apr 20, 2014, 18:41
It's a nice idea on paper but, as ever, greed and eye on the dosh corrupts the idea.

Plus, I think the notion of actual 'music' gets lost in the scramble for coveting objects. Collection of artefacts over listening. May as well be at an auction. Not that I don't like a nice thing or two myself. But, I think it becomes as much an ugly scramble for some kind of exclusivity as when you see people queuing round the block at midnight to get the latest Ipad, or whatever.

I'm glad the shops do well out of it, but I'm not sure how much music does.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2613 posts

Edited Apr 20, 2014, 22:31
Apr 20, 2014, 22:21
That is the most concise and eloquent summary of what's wrong about
RSD I've ever seen. I rest my case.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index