Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2609 posts

Edited Apr 13, 2014, 20:45
Record Store Day
Apr 13, 2014, 20:44
Aside from checking out Public Service Broadcasting at their signing session at Pop Recs in Sunderland next Saturday (and hopefully securing a copy of their excellent new single on 45), I won't be bothering queueing up outside any of my local record shops for Record Store Day.

For one thing, there's very few of the advertised exclusives that appeal to me, and the chances are that those that do will still be in the racks for months afterwards if previous RSDs are anything to go by; for another, the shoving, elbowing and general obnoxiousness of many of the once-a-year shoppers really gets my goat; and thirdly, the prices of the artefacts in question seem to get sillier every year (£16 for a pink vinyl 7" 'See Emily Play' last year, for example: you're 'avin a larf).

I don't need a dedicated, hyped up day to support my local record shops as I shop in them all year round. And I want to spend my hard-earned moolah on records I genuinely want to play and enjoy, not on sealed and shrink-wrapped "limited editions" that will appear on eBay for three times their already barmy prices within days of the event.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Re: Record Store Day
Apr 13, 2014, 21:19
The only record I was going to buy has now been delayed, so it won't be an RSD release:

Durutti Column - Chronicle

http://music.kookydisc.co.uk/

Rather than a reissue, this is a new album, released on a small independent label. Better than a Bowie picture disc or whatever :)
ars moriendi
ars moriendi
433 posts

Apr 15, 2014, 13:38
It should be rebranded International 'Major Record Label Rip Off Day'

Shame as it had good intentions, but it has been hijacked by greedy bastards
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

Edited Apr 16, 2014, 09:09
Apr 16, 2014, 09:05
Edwyn Collins' Curious George is being re-issued but I'm thinking that'll be on the shelves still when I saunter in at lunchtime.

I'm also thinking there won't be much interest in The Julie Ruin's 7" (new tracks, not on the album) round my way either so I might be able to pick up that too.

Fucked if I'm going to pay out for the LCD Soundsystem 5 album set though! Seriously pricey!

I am sure these 'exclusives' do not need to be as expensive as they so often are. I'd probably buy more (and therefore spend more) if they were more reasonably priced.

:o)
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Apr 16, 2014, 09:29
Gnomon wrote:
I'm also thinking there won't be much interest in The Julie Ruin's 7"

They good then? Thinking of having a bank holiday Monday in Brighton to see them in May
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

Apr 16, 2014, 16:15
anthonyqkiernan wrote:
Gnomon wrote:
I'm also thinking there won't be much interest in The Julie Ruin's 7"

They good then? Thinking of having a bank holiday Monday in Brighton to see them in May

I've not had the pleasure of seeing them live yet? Their three UK dates (Leeds, London & Brighton) clash with Nice 'n' Sleazy and Bearded Theory, both of which I'm meant to be at!

The album is a cracker. That kind of ramshackle, unhinged guitar pop-punk I love. What Be Your Own Pet might have grown up to become. I usually only put the best tracks from a cd on my iPod but everything from 'Run Fast' went on and they're already up there amongst the Most Played. Watch 'Oh Come On' on YouTube, though my favourite fave is probably the title track.

I really, really want to see them.

:o)
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Edited Apr 16, 2014, 16:29
Apr 16, 2014, 16:28
Want to see the film about KH too. Think Brighton will happen

Gnomon wrote:
That kind of ramshackle, unhinged guitar pop-punk I love.

Oh, may I recommend this (not the most Google-able band).
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Apr 16, 2014, 17:17
Apr 16, 2014, 17:17
anthonyqkiernan wrote:
Want to see the film about KH too. Think Brighton will happen

The film is good, we watched it a couple of days ago.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Apr 16, 2014, 17:40
ars moriendi wrote:
it has been hijacked by greedy bastards

What hasn't?
1001realapes
1001realapes
2387 posts