20 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Apr 13, 2014, 09:59
Re: sound cards
Apr 13, 2014, 09:39
If you're used to traditional DAW software then get this http://www.reaper.fm/index.php the evaluation version is free and it isn't limited in any way. Get some free soft synths, can't make many recommendations there as tbh I don't use many synths at all but use NI Kontakt or Cakewalk Dimension mostly when I do (or break out Max if I'm in the mood to build). Most of the synth(ish) sounds in my work are built from step-synth style programming of effects in complex/busy signal paths on sequenced samples (so, I'm building synths in send channels basically).

You're always going to get latency with your guitar until you get yourself a new ASIO device, and there are a lot of cheapish alternatives there, all of which will just be 'better' than that old Soundblaster you have (I know, I used to have one too). From the Peavey Xport USB for guitar (40 quid or less), Roland UA-11 Duo (about 60 quid).. I mean I'm going for Guitar orientated solutions only here, so I have to say the Line 6 POD as well http://www.gtrmusic.co.uk/line6-pod-studio-gx-usb-recording-interface-p-613.html which has some great amp modelling built into it. If you plan to record more sources than a single guitar though, like you want to record vocals as well, you really should look to spend a little more and get something with nice mic pre-amps. The M-Audio Mtrack may be perfect for you, as another just popped into my head thing, and comes with Ableton Lite.

Speaking of Ableton, thats software with a very different approach to trad. DAWs. You may find it a lot easier to use. People who first use Ableton either take to it instantly or go through a little pain. It's a mindset really, but I couldn't work without it now. I write and perform with Ableton (and Max) and mixdown/master with Sonar. I think Ableton still do a free evaluation version, I'd recommend giving it a try, you may find it incredible liberating (in a fuck.. why haven't I used this before way) or a complete headfuck, YMMV.

Good luck, and remember as your new machine has a lot more power you can give it a lot more work. As in your additional hardware requirements are less as the PC can do most of what you'ld go to hardware for in terms of modelling and mastering.

And watch and follow tutorials, youtube is full of them.

Unsung Forum Index