Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band

35 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lawrence
9547 posts

Edited Mar 29, 2014, 22:19
Re: Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band
Mar 29, 2014, 22:00
Yeah well I know Yoko isn't for everyone, or Nico or just about anything unconventional. I'm just not conservative enough that everything has to be three-chord/twelve bars with a screaming blues scale. Not that some don't do it well, there's plenty that do that kind of stuff better than Crap-ton.

Of course I mentioned Whitehouse but I don't think it's necessarily the immature ramble everyone thinks it is. OK I used to be taken aback by all the taboo-breaking, and I'm not the amoral type who would agree with senseless rape or sexual objectivity (obviously)... Of course I know material like that is always going to be controversial but that's what William Bennett was aiming for really. Whitehouse isn't for everyone musically either but it wasn't just a tuneless racket. Like I said it was inspired very much by Ono and lots of serious 20th Century electronic classical. And anyways Whitehouse would later break out of the box with multiple themes of human rights/hypnotism/brainwashing/pseudo-religious cultism/psychoanalysis/etc. It's almost as if Bennett redeemed himself from merely shocking people (if you can imagine such a thing...) Of course there's also Bennett's new project Cut Hands with its Voodoo mysticism and percussive anarchy...

Enough of my rant about Whitehouse, my point is I'm the type who gets annoyed by any kind of musical conventionalism to the point of turning to music that most people are turned off by. Of course I've always approached music abstractly anyhow. It doesn't matter to me if it doesn't meet the rigid standard of what everyone else thinks music should be, although it doesn't mean I should like poorly executed, hackneyed or wimpy music either (again fare like the Goo Goo Dolls come to mind...)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index