35 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Re: Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band
Mar 21, 2014, 02:55
spencer wrote:
"Underrated".... I was half thinking of putting Plastic Ono Band in the 'Unmentioned on Unsung' topic - I decided that surely the Yoko axis of it had been, sometime, but, I don't recall it.

Dunno about that. I've spoken with Dog on here at least a handful of times about Yoko. He's not a fan of anything she did post-Fly, which I guess is fair enough, but I thought she did a pretty good job subverting pop tropes with Elephant's Memory and the like.

Anyway, Yoko does a Q&A every Friday where she answers 15 FB and 15 Twitter questions. Sometimes there aren't too many more than 15 questions asked, so if you ever fancy interacting with her about anything it's worth a bash. Let me look up the question I asked (it was something sycophantic about Why).

Here we are:

"Wahoo! Yoko Ono just answered one of my [admittedly total brown-nosing] questions.

http://imaginepeace.com/archives/12671

Q: How did you encourage John to produce such striking, cosmically forward-thinking guitar playing on your wonderful song Why? So many genres are forever indebted to you for your work on that Plastic Ono album and Fly.

A: "I didn’t encourage John to do that. His incredible sense of music made him realize that he had to play that way for that kind of sound."

It's still in my Top 10 songs of all time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCb0TsSIqI0"

I'm kind of more a Fly dude now. I do think Yoko's Plastic Ono Band record is easily superior to John's, at least for my tastes, but the fact that it's played by Lifelong Rockers does start to reveal itself after several listens. Just a certain drum flourish here that Jaki Love-Time would never be caught doing, or an out of place blues riff played by Clapton that breaks the spell. Why is still an adrenal shot to the scrotum and I'll love it right up until my dying days. That and Greenfield are the definite stand-outs. Fly is that sound's more organic conclusion, though.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index