Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Re: Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band
Mar 21, 2014, 07:39
Absolutely superb album and a great artist in every way. Check out her more recent Plastic Ono Band work as well. 'Between My Head And The Sky' is wonderful.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Mar 21, 2014, 09:16
It was talked about quite a bit a few years back I think. But no, can't think of much since.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Edited Mar 21, 2014, 10:36
Mar 21, 2014, 10:07
Of course the third side of Fly, which are mostly experimental electronic pieces featuring special tape-loop boxes of some sort, was what inspired William Bennett to start up his Whitehouse project. I kid you not, you can hear her influence strating with Bennett's early Come album Rampton up to the first few Whitehouse albums...
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Mar 21, 2014, 10:21
Considering she spends a lot of her time these days posting hippie aphorisms on facebook (recent quote: "If someone is unpleasant to you, draw a halo around his or her head in your mind. He/she is an angel who came to teach you something"), that's pretty funny she inspired a dude who dedicated a bunch of his albums to serial killers.
Davey_B
Davey_B
408 posts

Mar 21, 2014, 10:24
I've not heard the new work but I went to the current version of Plastic Ono band (with Sean Lennon) at the South Bank for one of the Meltdown festivals.

I found it all a bit disappointing. Yoko's vocals (a very important part of it) were mixed very low down in the mix and the whole thing seemed very tame in comparison to her work from the 70s.

Maybe I'll give the newer albums a listen and see if they are more satisfying than the live performance was.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Mar 21, 2014, 10:35
Yeah it's ironic isn't it?
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Mar 21, 2014, 12:41
I've not seen them live, but I like the albums very much. I've just been playing the latest, Take Me To The Land Of Hell.
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Mar 21, 2014, 12:45
The aphorisms are typical Yoko. Playful and child/zen like. I like them. Serial killers ?
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Mar 21, 2014, 12:54
Astralcat wrote:
I've not seen them live, but I like the albums very much. I've just been playing the latest, Take Me To The Land Of Hell.

I dug a track I heard recently, Bad Dancer. She's going for a Nu-Yoik Dance-Punk thang, and she gets it. Pretty amazing feat for an 80-year old, really. Haven't heard the recent releases, but if they're like that I can see why a fan of her avant-fluxus-primal scream stuff wouldn't go for it, but I worship at a pretty broad church so I can get behind it. You can't really tell an 80+ year old woman to try to make a tantric two-hour recreation of Mind Train without being held responsible for the potentially tragic results.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Mar 21, 2014, 12:58
Astralcat wrote:
The aphorisms are typical Yoko. Playful and child/zen like. I like them. Serial killers ?

They tend to be a bit flaky and drippy for my tastes. Then again, I've never been a fan of whittling the whole world down into a nice, quotable soundbite. I guess hers are a slight step up from the "wot matters is dat you got a bird wot's there for you wheneva shit goes down" homespun bollocks which predominates over a lot of the rest of facebook.
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index