Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Edited Mar 29, 2014, 21:16
Re: Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band
Mar 29, 2014, 20:46
Lawrence wrote:
Well he was only a hired-hand on Fly and there's not much blues-cack on it...

But I know what you mean. I hate white-boy blues with a passion. Just imagine having to sit through it live. (I did, on two occasions when an older friend dragged me to a coupe of concerts of that nature...)

Frankly Crap-ton even admits himself he never knew how the real blues worked, not that I'm a fan of it (although it might be Crap-ton who soured my taste for such music...) Fuck him anyways, I think everyone knows about his racism but most people don't seem to care anyways. Maybe because too few really care about Crap-ton.

But what I really hate him for is complete shit like "Layla", which has the most crap guitar that even beats out the Goo Goo Dolls, for, well, crap-i-ness!

Amen, brother. Hardcore Clapton fans are usually the type of people who will brush off his remarks and Jimmy Page and Bowie's paedo moves, but will then call Yoko a shrieking, talentless slanty-eyed harpy without a moment's compunction. Like her music or not, people's knee-jerk attitudes to Yoko are a better litmus test than an actual litmus test when it comes to gauging people's acidity. See: Esquire Journalist who wrote the "Excrusive Gloupie" headline.

That Layla riff just makes me think of Jeremy Clarkson for some reason.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Edited Mar 29, 2014, 22:19
Mar 29, 2014, 22:00
Yeah well I know Yoko isn't for everyone, or Nico or just about anything unconventional. I'm just not conservative enough that everything has to be three-chord/twelve bars with a screaming blues scale. Not that some don't do it well, there's plenty that do that kind of stuff better than Crap-ton.

Of course I mentioned Whitehouse but I don't think it's necessarily the immature ramble everyone thinks it is. OK I used to be taken aback by all the taboo-breaking, and I'm not the amoral type who would agree with senseless rape or sexual objectivity (obviously)... Of course I know material like that is always going to be controversial but that's what William Bennett was aiming for really. Whitehouse isn't for everyone musically either but it wasn't just a tuneless racket. Like I said it was inspired very much by Ono and lots of serious 20th Century electronic classical. And anyways Whitehouse would later break out of the box with multiple themes of human rights/hypnotism/brainwashing/pseudo-religious cultism/psychoanalysis/etc. It's almost as if Bennett redeemed himself from merely shocking people (if you can imagine such a thing...) Of course there's also Bennett's new project Cut Hands with its Voodoo mysticism and percussive anarchy...

Enough of my rant about Whitehouse, my point is I'm the type who gets annoyed by any kind of musical conventionalism to the point of turning to music that most people are turned off by. Of course I've always approached music abstractly anyhow. It doesn't matter to me if it doesn't meet the rigid standard of what everyone else thinks music should be, although it doesn't mean I should like poorly executed, hackneyed or wimpy music either (again fare like the Goo Goo Dolls come to mind...)
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Mar 29, 2014, 22:38
I definitely know less about Power Electronics/Violence than I let on, so maybe I shouldn't have tried to sound so much like that know-it-all talking paperclip that used to give you helpful tips and facts of the day on Microsoft Word. There's something to be said for going that far away from '50s Leave It To Beaver culture in the name of art, most definitely. And aesthetically, it's a lot like early S.P.K. records and things like that, right? I do think the "immerse yourself in nothing but horrible, grizzly, ugly shit" thing is something a lot of young men go through- watching all-night marathons of Romper Stomper, Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer and the oeuvre of Nick Love just so they can convince their anomic teenage selves that they can still feel something, anything. I guess it's a matter of looking into the individual acts' bios? From the few Power Electronics records I heard, it did feel a bit like being chained to a klansman's radiator in their dark basement, but if that's the dark vibe they were going for, and they're not really actual fans of serial killers and racists, then cool beans.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Mar 29, 2014, 22:56
Well I think there's a difference between power electronics material which much of it isn't really that serious or much of the right-wing garbage under the banner of "neofolk" which I used to be suckered into (unfortunately) which I realized is just a way to push ultra-right-wing crap on people. It's the latter that's more dangerous with its populist fanfare and everything. At least power-electronics (for the most part) doesn't try to be popular. (There are P.E. groups that are fascist though, I don't find them very good myself really...)
Lawrence
9547 posts

Apr 01, 2014, 19:38
Oh did I happen to mention Crap-ton's other anti-masterpiece "Wonderful Tonight"? Sounds as slow as dripping molasses... Wouldn't wanna get any of that stuff on me!
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index