Topic View: Flat | Threaded
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Edited Feb 07, 2014, 22:48
Re: Penultimate Drdion?
Feb 07, 2014, 22:47
Sin Agog wrote:
It does annoy me when people tell you not to post somewhere if you don't like it. A dialog is what a forum should be about, hein? Which is what your problem was with the Now Playing thread to begin with. It's a thread where people actively don't talk to each other. It can be fun not having to put any mental energy into a post, so I can grok what's to enjoy in a thread like that, too. Still, a geezer like Guttersnipe at least generates readable content.

I rather look at it as a thread that takes advantage of the real time aspects of this medium and the ability to directly link to the music. Conversation is welcome, but not necessary, the music can quite ably speak for itself. Everyone is welcome. I was hoping for a great variety of postings, so in lieu of that, I've been providing my own variety.

It is rather perplexing the hostility quite a few Brits seem to be directing at this. So I get a lot of sniping either directly or indirectly to something no one is breaking their respective arms to even look at, censorship in essence.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Feb 07, 2014, 23:01
Sorry, wasn't trying to be hostile! The thread's fine, and hardly indicative of some general decline in blah blah. When the rest of the internet's filled up with gottdamned smegging cats, a thread with cool songs 'n' handy youtube links is high culture.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Feb 08, 2014, 17:24
Feb 08, 2014, 17:20
zphage wrote:
It is rather perplexing the hostility quite a few Brits seem to be directing at this.

I don't know why there would be hostility as it is effectively just a real-time SOOL.

What would be really helpful for me (and possibly other people with limited time to spend on Unsung) would be to have each artist / track in the Topic Title so you can just scroll through down the thread rather than open every message. I guess one can do that in extremis by switching from the threaded to the flat view but would be great not to have to do that and only see the messages you want to open.

Anyway .... blah blah etc
Wiggy
1696 posts

Feb 10, 2014, 10:10
I shall miss this. I enjoy reading what the man has to say (even when I don't agree or get it), I will really miss a lot of the folks on this forum although (apart from Yali/Charlie who I've kown for years) I've only met a few briefly, many here feel like mates I sometimes bump into and who always have something useful/interesting/funny to say.
It's been good for keeping up with Copes output - I've atually enjoyed a lot of his music over the last 10 years and it surprises me when folks dismiss all his recent stuff - ok, much of it has been lo-fi and cartoonish, but that has been part of its genius and charm in my opinion (and I've loved his folky/earthy stuff).
I'm wondering if he wants to get under the radar for a while ahead of the looming sh*t-storm that will hit when "Lives of The Prophets" finally appears. I'm guessing this forum could attract a lot religious fascists asserting their right to stop other people from holding a different view when that comes out?
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Edited Feb 10, 2014, 12:24
Feb 10, 2014, 11:35
Wiggy wrote:
I shall miss this. I enjoy reading what the man has to say (even when I don't agree or get it), I will really miss a lot of the folks on this forum although (apart from Yali/Charlie who I've kown for years) I've only met a few briefly, many here feel like mates I sometimes bump into and who always have something useful/interesting/funny to say.
It's been good for keeping up with Copes output - I've atually enjoyed a lot of his music over the last 10 years and it surprises me when folks dismiss all his recent stuff - ok, much of it has been lo-fi and cartoonish, but that has been part of its genius and charm in my opinion (and I've loved his folky/earthy stuff).
I'm wondering if he wants to get under the radar for a while ahead of the looming sh*t-storm that will hit when "Lives of The Prophets" finally appears. I'm guessing this forum could attract a lot religious fascists asserting their right to stop other people from holding a different view when that comes out?

I agree with all of what Wiggy said!

Hey Wiggy, hope you're well dude? Me? I'm stuck indoors chained to the computer finishing up book 2 and even dipping into book 3, while nursing my two lads who are spreading snot, coughing and wheezing lurgy germs everywhere. Drat.

No, I haven't had any sleep in the last 24 hours and my poor wife had to face work this morning on no sleep, while being bunged up with the lurgy herself. Double DrAT*

With regards to Mr Cope and his works - Personally I think he is a living *national treasure* and we are lucky to have this modern day Merlin walking among us! A psychedelic MoFo who walks his own path. I love all of his music. I love all of his books. I love him.
Are there any young Julian Copes out there? I doubt it!
Viva Julian Cope!

Heh - cheers Y'all.
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Edited Feb 10, 2014, 12:22
Feb 10, 2014, 11:46
cHARLIE wrote:
Wiggy wrote:

I agree with all of what Wiggy said!

Hey Wiggy, hope you're well dude? Me? I'm stuck indoors chained to the computer finishing up book 2 and even dipping into book 3, while nursing my two lads who are spreading snot, coughing and wheezing lurgy germs everywhere. Drat.

No, I haven't had any sleep in the last 24 hours and my poor wife had to face work this morning on no sleep, while being bunged up with the lurgy herself. Double DrAT*

With regards to Mr Cope and his works - Personally I think he is a living *national treasure* and we are lucky to have this modern day Merlin walking among us! A psychedelic MoFo who walks his own path. I love all of his music. I love all of his books. I love him.
Are there any young Julian Copes out there? I doubt it!
Viva Julian Cope!

Heh - cheers Y'all.

P.S. I don't care if he has no hair under the hat. ;o)
Wiggy
1696 posts

Feb 10, 2014, 15:11
Hey Mate,
Am at work but feeling crap! Blocked up, sore throat, etc. But hey ho, zero hours contract and all that!
Catch ya soon,
Wiggy
Beebon
1375 posts

Feb 10, 2014, 17:52
I'm a young Cope fan! (well 31 now so not as young as I was!)
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Edited Feb 12, 2014, 08:41
Feb 12, 2014, 08:40
Sowiesoso wrote:
I will miss the drudion but its termination, along with the dismantling, to me is just a classic case of pop star re-invention (a la Bowie) and Cope is canny enough to know its overdue. Alas his current black sheep guise more closely resembles the Tin Machine phase than the Thin White Duke. Besides JC can always fall back on his book writing which in recent times has been more consistent than his music & maybe , like bowie, abit of abstinence on the recorded output might do the trick for regaining his musical mojo

I think this is a really good point (ie re-invention), particularly if you bear one of Cope's comments from the 2000 QA in mind;

"Every few years, I have to serve a new apprenticeship in order to rebirth myself."

And also the note on the cover of Revolutionary Suicide re 'Peggy's new prescription'.

It's clear he's entering a new artistic phase and the house move is either one of many catalysts or symbolic gestures to suggest this to be the case.
There's a distictly different vibe within the work of Cope in each decade and he often marks the turning of a new decade with a new direction and artistic approach.
The dark, rock informed work and Black Sheep heathen folk of the last decade is as different to the flourescent new-age psychedelia of the ninetees as that was to his 80s career.
I suppose we're 4 years into this decade now but it's clear that he's been caught up with huge creative commitments (131 being the most significant) for the last few years, so perhaps the seismic sea-change has been delayed somewhat and we're about to witness (albeit delayed) another embodiment of JC for the 2010s.
Jogga
Jogga
116 posts

Feb 15, 2014, 00:25
I'm eagerly awaiting the announcement that he'll be supporting Morrissey at Rhyl Sun Centre. Viva Love Love Love!
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index