Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Senior Gomez
Senior Gomez
54 posts

Re: Penultimate Drdion?
Feb 05, 2014, 20:31
It's over, isn't it.

He's given us so much. I Can't even imagine what my teenage years would have been like without Julians music. This love continued all the way 'till about 5 years ago when I didn't really get any of it.

In the 80's all I had of Cope was the drivers club, pure joy magazine (thanks Mostyn) the occasional mention in the music press then finally lots of live shows and cracking albums.

Megalithic Stone circles, two volumes of incredible biography and the DRUDION have influenced me more than any other artist before or since.

Is that enough? Wow.
naughtynige
naughtynige
778 posts

Feb 05, 2014, 20:58
I've got one thing to say to you lot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asM056FLmg0
Senior Gomez
Senior Gomez
54 posts

Feb 05, 2014, 21:04
You're right!

Nothing changes.
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Feb 05, 2014, 22:37
veneta1 wrote:
billding68 wrote:
zphage wrote:
veneta1 wrote:
Seb wrote:
Gutterdandy, I'm sure your grudge plagues you - god knows we all hold them! - but relentlessly spamming this place is getting a bit embarrassing for all of us now.

Unplug your computer and go and have a nice cup of tea!

Gotta say that this pavlovian slagging off of JC is a hell of a lot more entertaining than posting interminable, narcissistic posts, about what you happen to have been listening to, for the last month.

not meant to be narcissistic
everybody is welcome to contribute
that was the intent, to have people
turn people onto stuff
and it has enliven a pretty dead board

Ive never thought of the now playing thread as narcissistic, if there is something that interests me I check it out if not I don't. To complain about it is cry baby whining because you got nothing else to do.get a mother f'ing life or troll elsewhere.

I could argue that my comment was in no way trolling in any way.

I happened to pass an opinion on what I felt was a pointless thread. Isn't there already a Soundtrack Of The Week thread where people can post details of what they've been listening to?

How do you know that I've got nothing better to do? Are we not allowed to pass an opinion unless you agree with it? And at least I didn't stoop to insults to get my point across.

Nice to see that the person most responsible for said thread responded in a far more reasoned and mature manner than you did.

I don't care the least about you which is why my comment may be so cut and dry. I'm sorry but if you find the thread redundant don't bother with it and let the people who do use it enjoy.
veneta1
223 posts

Feb 05, 2014, 23:00
billding68 wrote:
veneta1 wrote:
billding68 wrote:
zphage wrote:
veneta1 wrote:
Seb wrote:
Gutterdandy, I'm sure your grudge plagues you - god knows we all hold them! - but relentlessly spamming this place is getting a bit embarrassing for all of us now.

Gotta say that this pavlovian slagging off of JC is a hell of a lot more entertaining than posting interminable, narcissistic posts, about what you happen to have been listening to, for the last month.

turn people onto stuff

Ive never thought of the now playing thread as narcissistic, if there is something that interests me I check it out if not I don't. To complain about it is cry baby whining because you got nothing else to do.get a mother f'ing life or troll elsewhere.

I happened to pass an opinion on what I felt was a pointless thread. Isn't there already a Soundtrack Of The Week thread where people can post details of what they've been listening to?

How do you know that I've got nothing better to do? Are we not allowed to pass an opinion unless you agree with it? And at least I didn't stoop to insults to get my point across.

Nice to see that the person most responsible for said thread responded in a far more reasoned and mature manner than you did.

I don't care the least about you which is why my comment may be so cut and dry. I'm sorry but if you find the thread redundant don't bother with it and let the people who do use it enjoy.

Agreed and echo everything you say.

Life's too short for me to waste time with this.
veneta1
223 posts

Edited Feb 05, 2014, 23:06
Feb 05, 2014, 23:02
billding68 wrote:
veneta1 wrote:
billding68 wrote:
zphage wrote:
veneta1 wrote:
Seb wrote:

turn people onto stuff

Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Feb 05, 2014, 23:24
It does annoy me when people tell you not to post somewhere if you don't like it. A dialog is what a forum should be about, hein? Which is what your problem was with the Now Playing thread to begin with. It's a thread where people actively don't talk to each other. It can be fun not having to put any mental energy into a post, so I can grok what's to enjoy in a thread like that, too. Still, a geezer like Guttersnipe at least generates readable content.
veneta1
223 posts

Feb 06, 2014, 00:09
Sin Agog wrote:
It does annoy me when people tell you not to post somewhere if you don't like it. A dialog is what a forum should be about, hein? Which is what your problem was with the Now Playing thread to begin with. It's a thread where people actively don't talk to each other. It can be fun not having to put any mental energy into a post, so I can grok what's to enjoy in a thread like that, too. Still, a geezer like Guttersnipe at least generates readable content.

I'm loving Gutterdandy's posts because at least there's some passion there and I'm fascinated with his stance and why he seems to take Cope's comments about Liebling/Pentagram so personally. I hope he continues to post because he's entertaining.
tk421
121 posts

Feb 06, 2014, 13:10
Loved Cope for the last 24 years.

I love that he recommends new music all the time even if a lot of the stuff he recommends leaves me cold but then I love the enthusiasm with which he does everything.

I don’t know but I imagine that to discover, assimilate, fall in love with and then proselytise such an amount of new music on a monthly basis must be practically a full time job all by itself. How do you get the time to listen to so much and have a life?

Then add to that his consistent and regular output of his own music. Which, for my personal taste, has definitely taken an upturn in quality recently. Producing that must take up every spare second left over after the quest for new music.

Then add on to that the vast amount of writing and research that he publishes and I genuinely wonder where he gets the time.

Then add on to that the chore of writing a novel – a new departure but pretty time consuming I’m sure….

I’m sure he said a good while ago that once his children were up and out he would become less tied down. I guess the house move could be the first step on his new path.

I don’t know if this means no more music (I hope not) or just a more rootless life but either way I wish him well and say thanks for everything (except, obviously, cancelling the Belfast show...;)).
Sowiesoso
122 posts

Edited Feb 07, 2014, 22:40
Feb 07, 2014, 22:36
I will miss the drudion but its termination, along with the dismantling, to me is just a classic case of pop star re-invention (a la Bowie) and Cope is canny enough to know its overdue. Alas his current black sheep guise more closely resembles the Tin Machine phase than the Thin White Duke. Besides JC can always fall back on his book writing which in recent times has been more consistent than his music & maybe , like bowie, abit of abstinence on the recorded output might do the trick for regaining his musical mojo
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index