Top 3 All Time Favourite Artists

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Edited Dec 19, 2013, 15:19
Re: Top 3 All Time Favourite Artists
Dec 19, 2013, 15:19
Having absorbed so much music over the decades, I'm kinda reluctant to give you this list, as it's pretty much the bunch I started with in the 70s. You'll have to take my word for it that I'm open to fresh sounds.

1) Marc Bolan / T.REX

2) David Bowie

3) Led Zeppelin

Alice Cooper would've been there, but for his post 'Dada' output.

Jah Wobble, Fatboy Slim, Massive Attack, Portishead, Bonobo, Talking Heads and Prince were also nearly included, under the category 'various artists'.
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Dec 19, 2013, 16:13
Squid Tempest wrote:
[quote="riverman"]

Wow! Gotta get some Berlioz! Which of his albums do you recommend?!

The Requiem (Grande Messe des Morts)is a masterpiece. And a good version is the LSO live at St Pauls (conducted by Colin Davis). This youtube clip is a Proms recording from the 90s - the Dies Irae with the full arsenal of timps and 4 brass bands dotted at different corners of the Albert Hall starts at 25 mins, but the great thing about the work is the space to the sound - the Offertorium later is mainly based around the chorus signing two notes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuW2z1fOiQc. The sad thing is he rarely got to hear the whole thing - most orchestras weren't big enough, or of sufficient quality to pull it off.

My second favourite piece is probably Romeo and Juliet - pretty epic in scope and vision as well, it didn't touch me as much tho until seeing the LSO perform it a month or so ago. Another commission - this time from the virtuoso viola player Paganini who was a rich man and terminally ill at that point but clearly saw Berlioz as a genius worth backing.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Dec 19, 2013, 18:25
Which Smith? Mark E? TV? Patti? Robert? some other one?
earthlingfred93
1115 posts

Dec 19, 2013, 19:05
13th floor elevators / CAN / Funkadelic
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Dec 19, 2013, 19:28
earthlingfred93 wrote:
13th floor elevators / CAN / Funkadelic

Nice!

I kind of like these lists. A bit of a snapshot, but most of them show that certain favourites endure through the years, and there's no harm in that. Just because anyone's top 3 are all older artists doesn't mean you don't listen to new stuff, just that there are some firm favourites instilled back in the day.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Dec 19, 2013, 21:15
Fleetwood Mac (the original)

Rolling Stones

Sex Pistols
Lubin
Lubin
509 posts

Dec 19, 2013, 23:08
Incredible String Band ,Up to Changing Horses

Roy Harper

Ryan Adams

But it could all change tomorrow, and probably will.
fat_fleet
fat_fleet
146 posts

Edited Dec 19, 2013, 23:30
Dec 19, 2013, 23:30
Floyd (pre DSOTM)
The Dead (pre Arista)
electric Miles

notwithstanding such life-changers as Tago Mago, X In Search of Space, and ISB up through Wee Tam/Big Huge.
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Dec 20, 2013, 00:20
Bowie
Eno
Neil Young
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Dec 20, 2013, 06:52
Dec 20, 2013, 06:21
This is actually a very easy question for me -- but only because the request is "three" favorites. If it was 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, etc. it would be far harder! Because as my years of listenings grown longer, I find myself coming back to the same three dudes over and over again:

(alphabetical order)

Miles D.
Neil Y.
Frank Z.

I can think of only three non-musicians who could conceivably equal some of my favorite musicians their influence on my life:

1. John Waters (blew my mind open at age 14; trippier than any drug!)
2. Robert A. Wilson
3. Camille Paglia

Oh yeah, and one genius polymath who never fails to warm my heart:

...William! ...Shatner!

Addendum: Neil Stephenson is getting close to making my (non-music) list. I thought "Quicksilver" was incredible, but then "Anathem" is even better . . .
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index