Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 15, 2013, 19:06
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 15 September 2013 CE
Sep 15, 2013, 17:01
Knifeworld - Dear Lord, No Deal E.P
I bought a few years back this after hearing Steve Davis play it on his radio show. Dug it out on hearing a new track yesterday. It's very dense, at times astonishing but ultimately the whole experience is a wee bit dull. That's Prog for you in the 21st century. The new video is quite good though and I like the atypical horn section very much. If the tunes ever stuck then this would be great progressive music. As it is it's "just" very clever.

Victor Jara - Canciones pĆ³stumas
This is admittedly something of a tokenistic listen for a non Spanish speaker. His vocal style would totally fit my definition of keening and some of the playing is quite brilliant. There are also some eccentric arrangement and production touches that make it that bit more than a slightly cobbled together epitaph. Six songs and a couple of tribute tracks do not a whole album make but as a testament to a great musician (whose actual talents sometimes get lost among the biographical horrors) it is unimprovable.

Miles Davis - Get Up With It and Circle In The Round
I should have bought those bloody On The Corner and Bitches Brew boxes when they were still readily available

Barbara Hannigan, Amsterdam Sinfonietta, Candida Thompson - Britten: Iluminations
Barbara Hannigan is fast becoming my favourite non-pop singer. Everything I have heard her do in terms of new music has engaged me to the point of being overwhelming at times and she makes me listen to already familiar music with fresh ears. Her Lulu is a work of genius. As for this record, I flip-flop on some of Britten's more precious moments (frankly any settings of Rimbaud poems could probably fit that definition like a glove) but this record certainly makes a believer out of me.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index