Goblin - Patrick

Goblin - La Via Della Droga

Goblin - Amo Non Amo

Pink Floyd - More

Happy Mondays - The Peel Sessions

Richard Pinhas - Chronolyse

Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak

Françoise Hardy - La maison où j'ai grandi

Françoise Hardy - Ma jeunesse fout le camp...

Yabby U - King Tubby's Prophesy Of Dub

The Aggrovators - Rasta Dub '76
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 15 September 2013 CE
Sep 15, 2013, 14:05
The Ruts - The Crack
The Jam - Sound Affects
Madness - 7
Cocteau Twins - Lullabies EP
The Chameleons - Radio 1 Evening Sessions
The Creatures - "Right Now"
The Durutti Column - Amigos em Portugal
Heaven 17 - "Temptation"
Killing Joke - Fire Dances
Section 25 - From The Hip
Sisters of Mercy - "Lucretia, My Reflection" CD single

The Belltower - In Hollow EP
Bleach - "Shotgun" CD single
Cardiacs - "Day Is Gone" EP
Into Paradise - "Angel" CD single
Into Paradise - "Burns My Skin" CD single
Jesus & Mary Chain - The Power of Negative Thinking (last disc)

The Fall - Rude All The Time EP
Section 25 - Part-primitiv
Section 25 - Nature + Degree

The Lowland Hundred - Adit (on repeat for much of the week)
Robin Guthrie and Harold Budd - Bordeaux (on repeat today)
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

Edited Sep 15, 2013, 14:14
Sep 15, 2013, 14:13
The Beach Boys - Made In California (some absolutely stunning tracks among the 60 previously unreleased mixes and out-takes. Seems like they are still nowhere near the bottom of the barrel)

Forest - Forest
Forest - Full Circle

Leonard Cohen - Leonard Cohen

The Kinks - Lola Vs Powerman & The Moneygoround
The Kinks - Muswell Hillbillies
The Kinks - Everybody's In Showbiz

Elvis Presley - Elvis Sings Memphis Tennessee
Elvis Presley - Elvis Sings Guitar Man

Klaus Schulze - Black Dance

Muddy Suzuki - Stopgap (Scrapings From The Barrel 2001-2013)

Davy Jones/Micky Dolenz - You're A Lady (Jap mini LP featuring 4 songs each from 45s circa 1972-1973. Didn't realise what great singles Micky was putting out during this period, particularly this little cracker which featured input from Peter Tork: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iag_JgPfrtM With 4 Nesmith songs added from the same period it would have made a decent early 1970s Monkees LP along the lines of 'The Monkees Present'.)

Michael Nesmith & The Second National Band - Tantamount To Treason Vol.1

Vaughan Williams - Symphony No.8

Lambchop - How I Quit Smoking
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Sep 15, 2013, 14:25
Albums

White Hills - So You Are... So You'll Be
Naam - Vow
White Orange - White Orange
Causa Sui - Free Ride
Causa Sui - Euporie Tide
Kandodo - K2O (recommended)
Black Tempest - Sticks and Bells and Ancient Spells (recommended)
VA - The Dawn of Psychedelia
Vivian Stanshall - Men Opening Umbrellas Ahead
London Grammar - If You Wait
Expo '70 / Plankton Wat - split LP
Grails - Black Tar Prophecies Vol's 4, 5 and 6 (recommended)
The Weeknd - Kiss Land
WIKAN - Blackout EP (recommended)
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Sep 15, 2013, 14:27
Sep 15, 2013, 14:26
Very late service this week. That's austerity for you! Anyhoo,,,

Heptagram - Lucidity. Found this accidentally on the sniff for info on something else. Anyhoo, it's a (mostly) one man prog-metal thing from Bulgaria and very good it is too, if you like prog-metally things, which I do. Lots and lots of John Martyn/Matt Shaw style echoplexy delayed guitar combined with math-rock style riffage. I like! Free bandcamp download too.

The HAARP Machine - Disclosure
Jethro Tull - Songs from the Wood
Sienna Root - Different Realities
Atlantis - Live. (Frumpy offshoot)
Earthling Society - Zodiak
Inkubus Sukkubus - The Wild
Acid Mothers Temple - Nam Myo Ho Ren Ge Kyo/ IAO Chant from Cosmic Inferno
White Hills - Live at Roadburn
Mortad - The Myth of Purity
The Prodigy - Invaders Must Die
Dead Sea Apes - Soy Dios
The Nightwatch - ST
Surtr - Pulvis et Umbra
Monster Truck - Furiosity
Return to Forever - Hymn to the Seventh Galaxy
Dibbukim - Oyfn Veg Shteyt A Boym

Scar the Martyr - 4 track Sample CD from Metal Hamster. New project from Slipknot drummer Joey Jordison. Evil sounding riffage but also melodic and the drumming, as you might expect, is insane. Tempted to get the full album when it comes out.

Toundra - III. This is the mystery album from last week. Turns out they are an instrumental post-rock/prog metal band from Madrid. Anyway, I like it and it seems that I & II are available as very cheap downloads so it's all turned out rather well really!

Have a nice week x
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

Sep 15, 2013, 15:00
Meg Baird - Dear Companion / Leaves from Off the Tree (with Helena Espvall & Sharron Kraus)
The Clash - S/T / Sandinista!
Cocteau Twins - Garlands
Julian Cope - Fried / Rite / Revolutionary Suicide
Crass - Christ The Bootleg
Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left / Bryter Layter / Pink Moon
Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down In Broadway
The Glass Family - Electric Band
Jesus & Mary Chain - Darklands (deluxe)
Jethro Tull - This Was
Lollipop Shoppe - Just Colour
Moon Duo - Circles
Mr Fox - Join Us In Our Game (S/T / The Gypsy)
Neu! - Neu! 2 / Neu! '75 / Neu! '86
Will Oldham - Viva Last Blues (Palace Brothers) / Joya
Panda Bear - Person Pitch
Peppermint Trolley Company - Beautiful Sun
The Stranglers - La Folie
Strawbs - Dragonfly / Just a Collection of Antiques and Curios / From the Witchwood
Swans - White Light From The Mouth of Infinity / Love of Life
Vetiver - Thing of the Past
XTC - Skylarking
Zombies - Odessey & Oracle

V/A - The Free Design - The New Sound Redesigned
A Tribute to Roky Erickson - Where The Pyramid Meets The Eye
Charlie2300
Charlie2300
412 posts

Sep 15, 2013, 15:49
1001realapes wrote:
Jake Bugg - st

The Byrds - (Untitled) / (Unissued)

V.A. - Phonographic Yearbook 1921

V.A. - Phonographic Yearbook 1922

Albert Collins - The Complete Imperial Recordings

Jackson C. Frank - st

Ween - Shinola Vol. 1

Rush - Moving Pictures

The Bohemian Vendetta - st

Ennio Morricone - Le Monachine

Ennio Morricone - Cop Killer

Conrad Schnitzler - Con

Roy Harper - Stormcock

The Residents - Duck Stab! / Buster & Glen

Popol Vuh - Nosferatu - On The Way to A Little Way

Popol Vuh - Brüder des Schattens – Söhne des Lichts

Hans-Joachim Roedelius - Durch die Wüste

Kraftwerk - The Man Machine

Kraftwerk - Computer World

Elton John - Captain Fantastic & the Brown Dirt Cowboy

Hawkwind - st

Hawkwind - X In Search of Space

Goblin - Zombi

Goblin (Il Reale Impero Britannico) - Perché Si Uccidono

Goblin - Buio Omega

Goblin - Contamination

Goblin - Patrick

Goblin - La Via Della Droga

Goblin - Amo Non Amo

Pink Floyd - More

Happy Mondays - The Peel Sessions

Richard Pinhas - Chronolyse

Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak

Françoise Hardy - La maison où j'ai grandi

Françoise Hardy - Ma jeunesse fout le camp...

Yabby U - King Tubby's Prophesy Of Dub

The Aggrovators - Rasta Dub '76

Any recommendations for a good intro into the music of Goblin?
Charlie2300
Charlie2300
412 posts

Sep 15, 2013, 15:54
Nisennenmondai - Mirrorball
La Maison - Critical Situation
Robert Wyatt - Shipbuilding
Doctor Mix and The Remix - Heat
Subzone - Tunnel Vision
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Sep 15, 2013, 15:54
I saw them perform the Suspiria soundtrack live a few months ago, so I'd say that and their score to another Fulci Giallo, Deep Red. Haven't listened to everything of theirs like realapes (love the way he systematically goes through an artist's discography :D), so I'd be interested in what else he'd recommend.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Sep 15, 2013, 19:46
Sep 15, 2013, 16:07
Waylon Jennings The Essential disc 1
Compilation of one time Holly bassist's early years up to the point where he gained control of his music from record company dictate. He had always preferred recording with the same band he played with live - The Waylors but often had the record company insist on who he recorded with.
This first disc runs from '65 to '73 when he won artistic autonomy. He mainly plays electric guitar in a style I think others had picked up on. I think I recognise some of these songs from other people's versions but it may just be similarity of influence apart from Bacharach's You Can have Her which I had by Dionne Warwick with the gender of the individual talked about changed.
I really like this, it is more rooted in honky-tonk than the countrypolitan stuff taht was beginning to prevail around the time that the earliest material here came out. Funny since it was Chet Atkins who produced some of this early material who was one of the main popularists of the style in productions he did for other country artists

Aswad BBC sessions
a late 90s compilation of material recorded by the London based one time roots reggae artists. This runs from tracks recorded in '76 when they were recording for John Peel through several tracks recorded for other Radio 1 DJs as they became more popular up to some sessions recorded in '88 when they had pretty much lost their roots in most of the recordings they were making for release. They actually seem more rootsy on those later tracks here than i remember them from the charts.
I've been looking for some way of getting the early material by the band when they were one of the main underground uk reggae bands so was happy when this turned up locally for a couple of €€. Would prefer to avoid their poppier material which a few of the early 80s tracks veer too close to. Might try to get the Roots Rocking Island Years Anthology which is supposed to have a full disc of the better early stuff on the 1st disc and the less poppy good stuff from their post '84 pop era. Also just seen taht the BBC sessions was majorly expanded for a 2cd set in 2009 ciontaining all the sessions this is picked from.

Flipper Public flipper Ltd disc1
I think this is the more corruscating disc of the 2 in this live compilation. Toetapping tunage about nihilistic despair about man's relationship with man and drugs etc. Walls of sound created by the washes of Ted Falconi's guitar. Yum Yum.

Barbara Mandrell Treat Him Right & The Midnight Oil
2 lps of her early work with Billy Sherrill who was also working with Charlie Rich and Tammy Wynnette. Here she is approaching country soul from the country side of the equation. I've been hearing more of that kind of area approached more form the soul side I think.
Anyway this is great stuff very different to what she went onto when she became more popular, added strings and large doses of schmaltz.
She was originally known as part of her parents' family band where she was a renowned pedal steel guitar player.
I think the change may have come almost straight after the 2nd lp here which had me thinking about a turn-around thread tho the current Horrors one, one in which good material from otherwise frowned o artists is highlighted. I think there was a similar thread from a few years ago.

Devo Hardcore disc2
THis band's early pre 1st lp recordings. There are a number of r'n;b covers here, not sure how expected taht would be. If they had that as a recognised part of their sound or if it was something they were consciously working away from. I'm not familiar with their later material. I did used to have a very scratched up copy of their 1st lp way way back
This material does seem very stiff an awkward but I think taht was part of teh style. Glad this compilation, which has both of the volumes of an older compilation series in one 2cd package, has been reissued. I was hoping to get the old one for a few years.
The same label has also reissued a 2cd package of the 1st MX-80 Sound lp Hard Attack alongside a compi disc of other material from them around teh same time, not sure how much crossover there is between that and their Big Hits compilation e.p. plus possibly their Live in The Library material. That live lp is one of their best.

Jackie Wilson The History of Jackie Wilson Vol. 3: The Chicago Soul of
Nice 2 cd set of later material by the Reet Petite singer. This includes Higher and higher, Whispers (Gettin' Louder), The Who Who song and a version of Light My Fire.
I hadn't realised that Jackie's onstage collapse was as late as it was '75 , I thought it was late 60s. Apparently he was making great music up to just before that including some early 70s lps that are regarded as pretty classic.
He had a great voice and some great backing here from the house band from Motown. Lovely.

Altona s/t
1st lp by a band with ex-members of Thrice Mice playing pretty hard jazz-rock stuff. Sounds pretty good for a German band from the mid 70s, not a couple of years earlier when the Kosmische scene was at its peak.

Umezu Kazutoki KIKI BAND
couple of live sets from a current japanese band that are tagged as jazz-rock but seem to be working on a more primitive non-muso level than that name would imply. Seems to be a lot more gritty,like honking r'n'b but still pretty well played and mixing in some later influences. may verge on prog in places too.

Hangman's Beautiful daughters
a live set from this mid 80s indie band who had some 60s/velvets influence worked pretty well. Sound pretty gritty for a female fronted band from the era. Would like to hear more from them.

Jefferson Starship
There has been a torrent flood of their early material from '74/'75 when they were still playing material from the Grunt era solo lps like Grace's Manhole, Kantner's Blows Against The Empire and I think a couple of tracks from Baron Von TollBooth and The Chrome Nun as well as the early couple of jefferson Starship lps which were actually pretty decent.
Line up for the band at the time was
Johnny Barbata
Craig Chaquico
Papa John Creach
David Freiberg
Paul Kantner
Pete Sears
Grace Slick

who were largely people who'd appeared on that batch of solo lps that appeared on Grunt - Jefferson Airplane's vanity label material.
Freiberg was in Quicksilver Messenger Service at their peak and both Pap JOhn Creach and John Barbata were later-day members of the Airplane. Barbata replaced Joey Covington on the last couple of lps under the Airplane name. I haven't looked into those lps since I can't stand Joey Covington's drumming and haven't taken the opportunity to look them up since i found out about this.
Anyway the band was pretty interesting at this time. Not quite as good as the Airplane but then Jorma, Jack and Spencer were pretty superlative players. Spencer Dryden is one of my alltime favourite drummers. Jorma and Jack had gone off to Hot Tuna who were also very interesting at this point putting out some pretty psychedelic heavy rock lps like Yellow Fever which have recently been reissued. I'm not sure what Spencer Dryden was up to in the mid 70s, probably should be.

Who 's Next
Great heavy early 70s lp with Baba O'Riley and Won't Get Fooled Again as possibly stand out tracks
THis is the 1st disc of the Deluxe set which I found pretty cheap somewhere some years ago. I think I should listen to the band a lot more since they were great. This disc is rounded off with some great tracks from a New York recording session.
Must get around to picking up the most recent Quadrophenia set.

several other bits & pieces which will inevitably come back to me later.
Loads of material on my walkman I think including some tracks i hadn't heard on there before. Do wish that player's contents were easier to edit though.

Reading
The White Goddess
Robert Graves' detective work on the Celtic tree Alphabet and the riddle poems of gwydion. Finally getting seriously into reading this after meaning to for years and picking it up about 4 years back but continually being distracted into other stuff since

Manchild in The Promised Land Claude brown
memoirs of a black childhood in post world war 2 New York by a man who strayed to the wrong side of the law pretty early on. Very readable , so it shouldn't have been sitting on my shelf unread for as long as it has. Not sure how long that is but a few years anyway.
I think I'd recommend this to anybody interested in this type of area of writing. It's not as in your face as Iceberg Slim but still pretty good.

2000Ad
Slaine's reappeared recently and the last couple of issues have had very psychedelic artwork in his pages.

Promethea Alan Moore's tale of the human embodiment/crossover of a goddess who is part story. Not got very far through this so far, only on about #5. But looking great.

Watching
Blake's 7
early episodes are pretty bleak/dark if very low budget. They use a lot of backstairs and carparks of office type buildings as sets. It was interesting hearing them talk about budget restraints and compromises in the 'Cult of Blake's 7' 1/2 hr documentary about the series.
Unfortueately some of the acting verges on pantomime as the story goes on.
Also interesting that Gareth Jones who played Blake agree to come back for the last episode of series 4, on the proviso that the character was permanently killed, after he had initially left at the end of series 2. The concept behind the series on inception was 'Dirty Dozen in Space' though a bit watered-down, everybody was an antihero, with Avon veering on sociopathy. The end of series 4 ends with all of the group being gunned down in a watered down take on Sam Peckinpah. Hope that isn't too much of a spoiler for anybody.

Stevo
Pages: 7 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index