Reggae - Where to Start?

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lawrence
9547 posts

Edited Aug 14, 2013, 01:57
Re: Reggae - Where to Start?
Aug 14, 2013, 01:57
Yeah the Missing Brazilians record is so noisy you'd think you were listening to Whitehouse or Wolf Eyes at times...
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Re: Dub - Where to Start?
Aug 14, 2013, 07:39
King Tubby & Augustus Pablo - Kings Tubbys Meets Rockers Uptown

Lee Scratch Perry - Super Ape

Keith Hudson - Pick A Dub

Three classics from the 1970s to start you off. No drum machines here.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 14, 2013, 09:49
Aug 14, 2013, 08:00
Definitely stick to the 70s. Maybe stray up to 82. I am also digital phobic.

It is primarily a genre that is about singles and about producers more than artists as rock fans think of them with well organised linear discographies. There are albums that give a "rock" experience but I have leaned towards comps where the dubs gets a more than decent look-in.

I have very little interest in stoner dub albums. There are some great ones but as time goes on there is more and more landfill. There seem to be an awful lot of crass records out there that have been banged out to attract the attention of American students who see dub as thery soundtrack to an altered state rather than music that stands alone in its own right. The more you stay in the 70s the less that is the case.

There are exceptions (and I have listed a few) but for me great dub tends to be an extension of a song / idea. Dub taken out of the context of Reggae is another thing altogether and you'd need to ask someone else about the music where dub rubs shoulders with the avant garde.

So here is a bit of both (compilations and auteur statements). I could have picked half a dozen Burning Spear or Marley or Gregory Isaacs albums so those entries are personal place holders.

Unlike their American counterparts the Blood an Fire and Pressure Sounds labels both did a brilliant job of bringing the music back to life in a respectful manner. You could do worse than just collect their reissues as there is very little filler in those catalogues.

Anyway ....

Satta Massagana - Abyssinians
Showcase - Aswad
East of the River Nile - Augustus Pablo
African Herbsman - Bob Marley & The Wailers
Man In The Hills - Burning Spear
Peace & Love - Dadawah
Best Dressed Chicken In Town - Dr Alimantado
To Be A Lover - George Faith
More Gregory - Gregory Isaacs
No Bones For The Dogs - Joe Gibbs & the Professionals
Brand - Keith Hudson
Super Ape - Lee Perry
Dread Beat An'Blood - Linton Kwesi Johnson
Open the Iron Gate 1973-77 - Max Romeo
Live At The Counter Eurovision - Misty In Roots
Handsworth Revolution - Steel Pulse
Jesus Dread 1972-1977 - Yabby U
Best Of Wailing Souls
Yuh Learn - 4th Street Orchestra

Treasure Isle Duke Reid - Various
Don't Call Us Immigrants - Various
If Deejay Was Your Trade - Various
Darker Than Blue: Soul From Jamdown 1973-1980 - Various
Culture And The Deejays At Joe Gibbs (1977-79)
Derrick Harriott Riding The Roots Chariot - Various
Hustle!-Reggae Disco-Kingston, London, New York - Various
Open The Gate - Lee 'Scratch' Perry & Friends (Various)
Build The Ark - Lee 'Scratch' Perry & Friends (Various)
Lee Perry Voodooism - Various
Lee Perry Arkology - Various
The Frontline Box Set - Various
Augustus Pablo Classic Rockers - Various
stray
stray
2057 posts

Aug 14, 2013, 08:33
While I agree mostly with Ian. There was 'some' good stuff in the 90s and after that broke new ground and amazes still. Top of that list has to be
Rhythm & Sound : With the Artists. Worth the money for Jennifer Lara's take on 'Queen in my Empire' alone.

...Actually, I won't go into a list, just get that one. Use it as an antidote to the ringing plate reverb from all them there 70s recordings that you're going to wade through ;)
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 14, 2013, 09:10
Aug 14, 2013, 08:47
stray wrote:
While I agree mostly with Ian. There was 'some' good stuff in the 90s and after that broke new ground and amazes still. Top of that list has to be
Rhythm & Sound : With the Artists. Worth the money for Jennifer Lara's take on 'Queen in my Empire' alone.

...Actually, I won't go into a list, just get that one. Use it as an antidote to the ringing plate reverb from all them there 70s recordings that you're going to wade through ;)

I will check that out! I do like a bit of Cornell Campbell.

EDIT: just listening to the samples on Amazon. These productions sound outstanding so thanks for the steer.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Aug 14, 2013, 08:48
ah go on.. pretty much anything Lloyd Coxone has touched too, like this little beaut http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va4WsrZJRNk

Going back to 70's though, but...

Tapper Zukie - Man Ah Warrior. This is an IMPORTANT album. If you want to get a feel for what is the muse for modern stripped back dub tracks and production this is it.

Lawrence mentioned ON-U Sound. For my ears that label can be patchy, better to go to an earlier Sherwood label 'Carib Gems'. Recent Sherwood work has for me been a let down tbh.

Talking of though, 'African Headcharge - My Life in a Hole in The Ground' from the 80s is also an essential. Very experimental. A definitely unique experience.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Edited Aug 14, 2013, 10:34
Aug 14, 2013, 08:50
I'm with you on that recordmendation. Utterly bland name but if you want a pristinely-recorded alternative to all those lo-fi roots reggae acts, those Basic Channel dudes' take on reggae, with some excellent raw vocalists over their hermetically-sealed beats, is a worthy listen. Their label also put out a dubby compilation called Basic Replay that I really like.

I also have to say that Dancehall and the like has a lot to give to those willing to receive. I used to be one of those "I love roots reggae but all that noisy dancehall crap can smeg off" types, but as with most things in music I soon found out it's extremely easy to hate things I know very little about, and much more difficult once I've actually done some research and culled things I like from the genre. I think the first Dancehall record that reeled me in was a comp also put out by Basic Replay of a precocious 15 year old kid's recordings, White Mice - It's a Shame.

EDIT: Lester Bangs wrote a huge, wonderful article on Jamaica in 1976, when reggae was far from being standard listening in households and colleges in America. As well as describing a huge Nyabinghi block party led by Dadawah, it includes a revealing interview with Bob Marley, who seemed pretty into his brand new cadillac. I might write it up some day as I can't find it online. It's up there with the top two or three things Lester Bangs ever wrote.
MC
638 posts

Aug 14, 2013, 12:38
Some of my faves,quite a variety of styles:

Jah Lion - Colombia Colly
Peter Tosh - Legalize It / Equal Rights
Count Ossie - Mystical Revelation of Rastafari
Dr Alimantado - Best Dressed Chicken
Prince Far I - Long Life
Steel Pulse - Handsworth Revolution
wychburyman
951 posts

Aug 14, 2013, 13:13
Love Reggae, but don't have much of a knowledge base to go on

However, I would recommend Handsworth Revolution by Steel Pulse
fat_fleet
fat_fleet
146 posts

Aug 14, 2013, 14:55
Holy crap, I've got my work cut out for me! Thanks so much, such a comprehensive overview!

I've already started going through these lists, checking the artists out on youtube....I'll probably be bopping through here with more specific questions for y'all. One thing I guess I may have known but not fully realized is how many subgenres fall under the reggae tag.... Like I think 'dub' is about stretching songs out and adding electronic manipulation (?), but I have no idea about the differences between "roots reggae", "lover's rock", "rocksteady"....etc. I can see this is a huge iceberg. Anyhow, thanks again!

Whatta list IanB!
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index