Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 21 July 2013 CE

35 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9574 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 21 July 2013 CE
Jul 21, 2013, 23:27
Future Days – Can
Not my favourite Can LP – Spray and Bel Air are a long way from being my fave Can tracks – but I love the title track and Moonshake with its funky rhythm and funny percussive noises is ace!

Flatlands – Dr Robert
I've been playing Dr Robert and Blow Monkeys stuff (I've also played Diggin’ Your Scene /It Doesn’t Have To Be This Way / La Passionara / Travellin’ Soul singles this week) a lot since I saw them put in an ace gig a couple of weeks back. This album includes the wonderful I Guess This Is Goodbye which is one of the greatest heartbreak songs ever AFAIC.

It Swept Across The Open - Seabuckthorn
I played the last Seabuckthorn album, In Nightfall, a lot so I've been meaning to get this 2012 follow-up for some time. I've only heard it the once thus far but it’s sounding pretty good. Strangely enough it reminds me of Gordon Giltrap’s Visionary LP at times. That will probably put some people off it but I've always had a soft spot for that 1976 album.

The Best Northern Soul All-Nighter Ever – V/A
Especially Sweet Talkin’ Guy and the almost Sly-like So Is The Sun by World Column, neither of which sound particularly Northern Soul-like to me.

Unearthed: Liverpool Cult Classics Volume 3 – V/A
Another I've been meaning to get for ages. I liked Vols1& 2 but as this didn’t have Cope on it I didn’t get round to getting it till now. This is another that I've only heard the once so far but there are some interesting Merseyside obscurities here.

Also...
Homegoing – Cristal
A Long Way To Fall - Ulrich Schnauss
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index