Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Jul 22, 2013, 20:18
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 21 July 2013 CE
Jul 21, 2013, 22:14
Mad River s/t / Paradise Bar & grill
Recent BGO remaster of both lps on one cd. s/t has been returned to the original recording speed which has been done a couple of times before but now the reason is given, it wasn't a screw up per se, it was apparently intentional because each side ran for longer tahn the supposedly ideal 18 minutes. Lawrence Hammond's voicce sounds odd enough at the corrected speed, operatic and with weird texture, don't think I've heard the alternative version. My previous copy was the old Edsel vinyl which had the speed correction.
Mad River's music at least on the first lp and some bits of the 2nd lp has jarring atonal elements to it. Guitars create jagged soundscapes that do relate to other music coming out of SF at the time of the recording but remain pretty unique nonetheless. Not sure what level of influence they had elsewhere, I certainly hear echoes in Norway's day of Phoenix whose good 1st lp dates from a couple of years after.
I don't remember hearing the 2nd lp Paradise Bar & Grill before. It takes on a lot more of a country influence though they do still have a couple of great atonal psychedelic guitar pieces in the mox, as well as having richard brautigan reading a piece over guitar backing.
I think th elp is a lot less memorable than the first one but does have some interesting stuff on. This remaster is pretty decent as a lot of material on BGO tends to be.

Bo Diddley Tales From the Funk Dimension
The Raven compilation of material from Bo's early 70s funk influenced years. Not a major distance from what he was doing 10 years earlier, he's still doing deep guitar grooves. Great compi, not sure if this is the best way to hear the material since the individual lps have been reissued since this came out 10 years ago.
Still good one stop and it is cd length so it has a lotof this stuff on it. Not sure I need so many Creedence covers though.

Kenya Special
Brilliant compi of music from the 70s and 80s in the country my dad hails from. Pretty infectious. loads of Benga even if it is kikuyu Benga not the Luo stuff.

Dr Feelgood All Through The City disc1
The cheaper versionof the 3cd 1 dvd set of Wilko Johnson years material by Canvey Island R'n'B group. Took me longer tahn I thought it would for me to get into it but material like the title song All Through the City is pretty classic. I'm surprised I'm not more familiar with the music on here, probably have heard bits of it in cover versions in my teens and do know the band's own covers pretty well in different versions.

Ant-Bee Pure Electric Honey
Faust S/t
Zappa Waka/Jawaka
Mclusky MCCluskyism
The Litter Emerge
Algarnas Tradgard Delayed
Gétatchèw Mèkurya - [Negus of Ethiopian Sax (Éthiopiques Vol.14)
Ame Son Primitive Expression
Family various bits of Once Upon A Time

various other bits and pieces, will get baack and add to this later.

Stevo
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index