75 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Hidden Corner
The Hidden Corner
149 posts

Edited May 17, 2013, 22:50
Re: Curved Air.
May 17, 2013, 22:47
Interesting to see a Curved Air thread. I have all their 70s studio albums on vinyl - I've never heard the live album but have heard it's good.

My recommendations are that first 4 albums are all well worth hearing if you like prog and each is slightly not as good as the one before.

I'd give their first album 'Air Conditioning' 5 stars - it's both commercial and experimental. The vinyl copy I have is very poorly mastered (it's not the original picture disc which probably sounds even worse) - hopefully it sounds better on CD.

Second album is a 4 star job with a crazy 70s fold out cover and includes the classic 'Back Street Luv' single and a great long track on second side featuring a Sonja Kristina voiceover quoting from TS Elliot's The Wasteland.

Phantasmagoria, the third album, still has a lot to like, the vinyl is much improved on the mastering of the first two albums and I'd give it three and a half stars.

Fourth album ' Air Cut' is virtually a different group, albeit with Sonja K as well as 16 year old Eddie Jobson. It's not a bad album but more rocky prog than the proggy psyche rock of the first 3 albums and I'd give it 3 stars.

Following two albums 'Midnight Wire' (2.5 stars) and 'Airborne' (2 stars) are a slightly later reformed version of the group - SK is present and correct on vocals, Darryl Way is back, Stewart Copeland on drums but the band have lost their prog mojo.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index