Unsung Forum »
Curved Air.

Pages: 8 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Curved Air.
May 16, 2013, 10:03
A mate of mine has been telling me that he's recently got into Curved Air and that I would probably like 'em too.

Don't think I've ever heard a complete album, so where's a good place to start?
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Re: Curved Air.
May 16, 2013, 10:59
I'm gonna watch this thread too, as an astoundingly good Curved Air track was played by a DJ at a recent gig my lot did - and despite asking him what it was... erm, I forgot. I was, needless to say, completely off my tits, so had a decent excuse.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited May 16, 2013, 11:05
May 16, 2013, 11:02
Moon Cat wrote:
A mate of mine has been telling me that he's recently got into Curved Air and that I would probably like 'em too.

Don't think I've ever heard a complete album, so where's a good place to start?

Like Caravan I find a little Curved Air goes a long way but that "little" is actually pretty great. Phantasmagoria probably or the live album from the same era would be where I would point novices.

Have you heard the first Babe Ruth record? The "other" British female led Prog band. That's quite good too. Though neither singer appear to have received much encouragement on the songwriting front. At times they sound like a funked up Crimson. Fripp meets Mothers Finest.
Seb
Seb
600 posts

Edited May 16, 2013, 11:22
May 16, 2013, 11:20
I too am going to watch this thread.

EDIT. Actually I'm now just going to take Ian's advice and listen to what he says.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

May 16, 2013, 11:25
Air Conditioning and the second album were staples with the crowd I hung out with back then. Memory er, fuzzy, but favourable. The Amazon customer reviews indicate that the current CD's are less than perfect sonically though. The Anthology comp seems to tick all the boxes, and is a good remaster. Fond memories of them live, and Sonja in her prime ... (sigh). Perhaps I need to reaquaint myself with them too. I think Francis Monkman may have done some interesting stuff elsewhere.
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

May 16, 2013, 11:29
There's a line-up, fronted by Sonja Kristina, active today! They headlined Sonic Rock Solstice, the Summer before Last, I believe.

http://www.curvedair.com/
Gladwin
Gladwin
402 posts

May 16, 2013, 11:37
IanB wrote:
Have you heard the first Babe Ruth record? The "other" British female led Prog band.

Ahem. Renaissance?
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

May 16, 2013, 11:42
Dunno if I'd want to see them now, but they were damn good back then. Lights, swooping sounds and otherwise photogenic. Another one for Moonie: distant memory of a good BBC In Concert. Praps its out there on t'internet
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

May 16, 2013, 11:43
They're supposedly playing my mother's 60th Birthday party next year, though she's just been diagnosed with kidney cancer. She's a fighter, and kidneys are a waste of your innard space anyway, so I'm pretty sure she'll be in remission and front-stage-centre right on schedule.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited May 16, 2013, 12:04
May 16, 2013, 11:57
Gladwin wrote:
IanB wrote:
Have you heard the first Babe Ruth record? The "other" British female led Prog band.

Ahem. Renaissance?

Were they Prog? Think of them as more of a Folk-Classical hybrid. Folk Rock bands seemed to have a less of a difficulty allowing women a leading creative role. Prog not so much.
Pages: 8 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index