26 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Edited Jan 27, 2013, 20:04
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 27 January 2013 CE
Jan 27, 2013, 20:00
Ah. There you are. What with the snow 'n stuff I've been getting more listening done, absorbing and revisiting ...... 1) Lee Perry and Friends - Disco Devil: The Jamaican Discomixes .... still hugely pleased with this. While it could have been extended to a triple with the rest of Open The Gate and, say, Megaton Dub stuff such as the Jolly Brothers' Conscious Man - one of my favourites - price would have been against it. As it is, an indispensible slice of his creative best for under a tenner .......... 2) Lee Perry and Friends - Open The Gate .... still necessary and 100% recommended too ....... 3) Lee Perry and Friends - Sipple Out Deh .... 'DD's 7 inchers counterpart. Scope for the skip button, and I find the '77 onward stuff more interesting, but, for the number of great tracks and silly price, to quibble is totally stupid ........ 4) Jah Lion - Colombia Colly ... more great Perry, not uniform, but well worth having. Title track is mad. Fifty quid new from Amazon, or £11-99 from Honest Jons. Take your pick ........ 5) Roy Harper - Songs of Love and Loss .... a great comp, and superb remastering. I've never heard the strings on I'll See You Again and Commune and others sound so good. Achingly glorious. David Bedford RIP ........ 6) The Necks - Aether ..., At last! Heard it to the end. Thirty five minutes pass before washes of sound resolve into a beat. A Hammond throbs, and from then on till the end is a thrill ....... 7) The Necks - Townsville .... elegaic. Imagine John Martyn's Glistening Glyndebourne, with Dannys double bass, but the guitar's replaced by piano, with washes of cymbals resolving into a propulsive beat. A good review of it and them is here: http://www.messandnoise.com/releases/5804 And it's live, improvised..and they can do stuff this good night after night..... 8) The Necks - Drive By .... To my ears the most spacious sounding release of theirs I've heard. Lots of samples, found sounds..bees, parrots, schoolkids.. a sonic journey. Drifts along. The best intro to this wonderband along with Hanging Gardens and Sex. Love 'em ........ 9) Paul Kantner/ Jefferson Starship - Blows Against The Empire .... I reckon this was my most played album of last year. This is my fortieth year of ownership, and I still enjoy it now just as much as on first discovery. In the circunstances to say I like it is an understatement. Like Roy, a companion through life ........ right, you've suffered enough..
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index