Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Jan 27, 2013, 13:46
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 27 January 2013 CE
Jan 27, 2013, 12:34
Day Of Phoenix Wide Open N-way
Sublime Danish psych-prog veering between U.S. psych-folky vocals reminiscent of Buckley etc, and long guitar expolrations I find heavily reminiscent of Mad River (Something I also hear partially in the vocals at times).
Esoteric just reissued this apparently from mastertapes though there appears to be a skip in the opening track about 2 minutes in which somebody refered to in an Amazon review. I think it's audible but apparently missing from the earlier Repertoire version. Odd since I thought Esoteric were a label that could be pretty much relied on to go to masters where possible.
Anyway, I think this is very good & would reccommend it.
Their other lp The Neighbour's Son loses a lot of the magic, it was recorded after their bassist had o.d.ed and is basixcally a reunion

Alfonso LOvo La Gigantona
more sublimeness, this time in the shape of a latin jazz lp recorded by the Nicaraguan guitarist and a group including the Santana percussionist Cepito Areas. I don't knoew to what extent Santana is a touchstone for the sound here since I think Lovo's guitar sounds pretty different and I haven't listened to Caravensarai in a long time which might be about the closest Sasntana lp to this sound.
This comes with a dubby sheen of electronics too which adds another element to th esound.

Copernicus Deeper
the lp I've been wanting to replace since I lost the vinyl n th emid 80s has recently been reissued on cd by MoonJune records. More improvisatory poetry here including Son Of A Bitch from the NOrth a song about U.S. undercopver incursions into Guatemala.
Edgy stuff and the best of his lps I've so far heard. Still not heard Victim of The Sky though

TimeMazine cds
been ripping cds to my computer over the last few days and been surprised to find out that most of these are already in the EAC database. Not 6 though, not sure why.
Mostly pretty great compilations of psych related music spanning the decades from the 60s to the present day. Some stuff very worth checking out. As is the magazine, wish I'd started looking into it when #1 was still more easily available. Not sure what other similar zines are available internationally, this one's based in Greece which was always a spot of psychedelic fandom.

Son of Gutbucket
the cd that came with Galactic Zoo Dossier #9 and has some good stuff on. Zine/book is always worth a read too

Loop Barbue Copenhagen 22/3/89
been going through the cdrs I burned over the last few years. Looking for music that was on hard-drives that crashed and found 4 or 5 Loops.
Glad to know since annoyed by losing the stuff otherwise.
This has a few tracks from A Gilded Infinity being added among material largely from Fade Out. A rocking good time.

Pere UBu Old Waldorf '79
another disc I had burnt previously and have now ripped back to harddrive.
Had several great live sets from '77-'78 and now only have a couple. Wish it was easier to lay your hands on live Ubu, I think I have all that's easily available on cd.
So hoping that Ubu Projex expands its bootleg series and starts thinking in terms of flacs rather than MP3.
This set covers a lot of the material from New Picnic Time as well as several from Dub Housing. I think they became even more abstract live than in studio.
Actually this is 2 sets , all of an early one and some of a late one. & that only because not all of it fit on a cdr.

Mwandishi Aarhus 71
Spacey electric jazz from the early 70s. Mwandishi was Herbie Hancock's project from the turn of the 70s until about '73 when some of the band continued onto the Head Hunters line-up. Mwandishi later incorporated a lot of electronics as can be heard on the Sextant lp . This is more spacey ala Sun Ra or either of their own 1st 2 lps.
I'd reccommend trying to get hold of the French tv performance from '72 cos it is pretty sublime. But pretty much anything done under the name Mwans=dishi is worth investigating. As are some of the other offshoots, Julian Priester put out some interesting material in a similar vein too.

Arbouretum
not sure the date, but one of the sets from archive.org. Didn't listen right through it but what I heard was great. Heavy droney stuff that touches on Americana too. Pretty psychish too.

Soul Coughing
not listened to these in ages but was checking through the archive.org Live Music collection and found some by them so listened and enjoyed greatly. Didn't note date though.
I think at least one member wound up in Todd A odf Copshootcop's later project Firewater, who are also worth checking out.

various other bits & pieces which will no doubt come back to me later.

& hours of surprises still from the walkman. Still turning up things that I don't think I've heard on there before. Do wish it was easier to edit what was on there thoughsince I've bough a number of things I'd put on if the interface was more user friendly. Last time I tried to change anything it wanted nme to reformat the entire player which would wipe all tracks.

Watching
Django Unchained
Tarantino on form as are mist of the cast. Jamie Foxx's grin towards the end is pretty iconic, had me wondering if there was a poster of the still of it. Christoph Waltz is great throughout too, love the meticulous way he talks and explains things throughout. Kicked myself when I realised I hadn't recognised him from Inglorious Basterds.
Loads of cameos in this including Franco Nero who was the spaghetti western hero of the same name. which might be why he knows how to spell Django?
So, funny, bloody, violent and a pretty good film methinks.

The Quest
rubbish, though somewat enjoyable Van Damme flick from late 80s I think. Don't know why it thinks that there's only one area in the continet of Africa that gets to be represented with a fight style and therefore represents 'Africa' when other continents have individual countries competing.

Green Zone
Matt Damon as a U.S. soldier investigating WMD sites but questioning why there were supposedly sites for Weapons of mass destruction but he never finds any traces of evidence of the WMD's actual existence.
Guess it just about works but not sure about the politics it represents. Though saying why might give away too much of the plot.

reading
Trampled Underfoot the Barney Hoskyns oral history book on Led Zep. Pretty interesting. Doesn't paint Jimmy Page in the greatest of lights though. Think I'm about 1/2 way through at the moment.

Pimp Iceberg Slim
Been meaning to read this for years and so far have only read about the first chapter. He's still talking about childhood experiences and how he regrets other people having made decisions for him that otherwise might have not lead into the life he lead, how he could have gone straight with the right beloved father figure. Anyway, great book and one i'm looking forward to getting further into

Galactic Zoo Dossier #9
Interesting mix of comicbook stories of band histories, interviews , examples of psychedelic aspects of comics. Plus comes with free cd. So very good read. Wish I had the back issues beyond the collected 1-3 .

Stevo
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index