118 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Brik
586 posts

Edited Jan 24, 2013, 23:19
Re: Albums that deserve a second chance
Jan 24, 2013, 23:18
Here's me spleen...

Patti Smith Group - Wave - My only real issue with this is that not all of it aged entirely gracefully.

The Damned - Phantasmagoria / Anything - There's no Captain, but without this tongue-in-cheek Madness soundtracking Hammer Horror period I can't help but feel there'd be a bit of a hole.

Siouxsie & The Banshees - The Rapture - Some of the commercial elements grate a bit, but Sick Child, Fall From Grace and the title track redeem it in spades. I'll also nominate Join Hands. Ignore The Lord's Prayer and it's a wonderful slice o bile.

Kate Bush - Director's Cut - Deeper Understanding was a baaaaad choice of single. Much of the Sensual World stuff was fine, but the Red Shoes tracks are leaps and bounds ahead of the original issue. It's quite lovely!

Brain Donor - Drain'd Boner - More than just noise! Well maybe not, but after a couple of casual spins it can really grab you.

The Cure - Faith - I think this was when they seemed to begin mimicking their peers (esp. The Banshees - anyone else pick up on that?), but oddly enough I find the old grey and dour to be less pretentious than something like Disintegration.

The Creatures (more Siouxsie!) - Boomerang - It's actually an incredible album, just surprisingly difficult to come by.

Tom Waits - Alice - I'm going off the small pilgrimage I embarked on just to find the bleeding thing. It'd be a nice soundtrack to some colourful skewed Burton-esque world like Big Fish and works as a solid 'concept' album.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index