Albums that deserve a second chance

118 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Albums that deserve a second chance
Jan 24, 2013, 15:13
Black Sabbath - Mob Rules.

I guess there's already a bit of an issue amongst some fans as what is and isn't Sabbath as regards the Ozzy vs Dio era. As a fan of both, I've no problem reconciling one with the other mainly because both versions (including the Dio mrk II version) produced such great music. However, when talking of the Dio era a lot of fans will get misty-eyed first over the admittedly awesome "Heaven & Hell" leaving the following "Mob Rules" somewhat in it's wake. This is, IMO, a shame because I think "Mob Rules" is at least 96% as good as it's predecessor and deserves to bask in the same glory. I think with time, and the sad passing of RJ Dio - death is great for reappraisal - it's now getting the nods as a great rock album featuring as it does some of Tony Iommi's most crushing and cyclopean riffage, combined with the melodicism associated with the Dio era (although it's not like Sabbath were alien to a pretty tune or two in the Ozzy daze). "Voodoo" stands out for me as does the devastatingly monstrous riff of "Sign of The Southern Cross", which is basically Godzilla's DNA in music form.
So "Mob Rules" isn't, IMO, the poor cousin to the previous album and it was a pleasure and privilege to hear these tunes do what turned out to be a lap of honour when they were toured under the "Heaven & Hell" banner prior to Dio's passing. "Mob Rules" rules! \m/
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index