Unsung Forum »
Albums that deserve a second chance

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Albums that deserve a second chance
Jan 25, 2013, 02:04
Oh no, dude don't doubt any of that...and twas an inneresting read too.

But, I've met old lags of a certain vintage that freely told me that they either hid or denied certain musics of their past in order to 'get with the programme' so to speak. Actually, when you think about it, it's quite funny, cos if these guys, who would have been in their teens or twenties, when year-zero is supposed to have happened for them, really DIDn't like anything prior to year-zero, then they must've spent a LOT of time not liking ANYthing til the bomb dropped.

I expect RHitchcock may have singled out the Beatles just cos of their cultural Hugeness as much as anything? I guess, love or loathe (I'm on planet love BTW), their omnipresence in the multiverse of 'POP' is an almost inevitable point of reference for being of a certain time and age pre-punk. And now, they're timeless! Crazy pop kids!
Brik
587 posts

Jan 25, 2013, 02:07
Moon Cat wrote:
Might take you up on The Creatures thing, thanks. I only have the Bestiary now, and the Anima/Animus album.

It's only mp3 at the moment, but here she is: Enjoy!

https://www.box.com/s/a38ehaxf0cvy9lanpnzv
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jan 25, 2013, 02:12
ps.

One of the all-time what ifs in my noggin' is this; apparrently, after Knebworth, Jimmy Page & John Bonham had discussed the next, never to happen, Zeppelin album. The mood was; a raw, rock n roll centred thing. And apparently, following Page's liking of 'em, there was a mooted notion of doing an EP with the Damned. Don't know whether that would've been a split thing or (as I'd like to have heard) both line-ups playing together, I dunno. But, Damned Zeppelin.....I would LOVE to hear that!
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jan 25, 2013, 02:14
Awww thanks Bud. MP3's are fine. I'll dload it tomoz (need to swap puters). Thank you, very decent.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Jan 25, 2013, 02:15
I think the late '70s is when a certain "Everything was so much more fab in the swingin' '60s" 'tude started to crop up, possibly as a reaction to punk's griminess. A nostalgia trip that drove Lennon himself to say in his last interview: "We were the hip ones of the sixties. But the world is not like the sixties. The whole world has changed. Produce your own dream. It's quite possible to do anything...the unknown is what it is. And to be frightened of it is what sends everybody scurrying around chasing dreams, illusions."

I think I might've popped down to see the last couple of minutes of Yes at that Glasto, by the way. Everyone else in the audience seemed to emanate pleased vibes, though I wasn't really in a position to judge.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Jan 25, 2013, 02:31
Jan 25, 2013, 02:28
The thing is , I think the 90's were the last 'decade' and even that, when you look back, seems much more fragile and diaphanous a notion than the '80s' and so on, though time and distance can solidify these things eventually.

As media and communication tech has got more expansive and omnipresent, possibly in the most banal of ways, the time we are in, and the (western) cultural pathways seems to have got more fluid and disparate, more thinly spread (although more intense to the individual tapping away!) than in any time before. Perhaps we are so inclined to personalise previous iconic decades with the familiar baggage we attribute to them by reflex almost, that the 'apparent' lack of identity in our own time - apart from the free flow of what we might fondly call the 'digital age', and that's nostalgia born of ten minutes ago - may prove problematic. Perhaps the grand ages of identity are no more. Or, at best, served in bite sized chunks of now.

Yes at Glasto was a truly special mo' for me and my chums. The weather was blessed kind, the feeling was most high, and it's like they were playing a set list we'd written. And it was a full 2hour + set...in the sunny afternoon.
Brik
587 posts

Jan 25, 2013, 02:32
Moon Cat wrote:
Awww thanks Bud. MP3's are fine. I'll dload it tomoz (need to swap puters). Thank you, very decent.

You're very very welcome.
It looks like we've got some similar tastes so when you get round to it I reckon it'll go down a treat.
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Edited Jan 25, 2013, 05:30
Jan 25, 2013, 05:21
Moon Cat wrote:
ps.

One of the all-time what ifs in my noggin' is this; apparrently, after Knebworth, Jimmy Page & John Bonham had discussed the next, never to happen, Zeppelin album. The mood was; a raw, rock n roll centred thing. And apparently, following Page's liking of 'em, there was a mooted notion of doing an EP with the Damned. Don't know whether that would've been a split thing or (as I'd like to have heard) both line-ups playing together, I dunno. But, Damned Zeppelin.....I would LOVE to hear that!

I can remember buying Sounds 'Guitar Heroes' a short lived magazine in the wake of the success of Kerrrang! Jimmy Page was on the cover and there was piece about his more famous guitars. Capt Sensible had his 'lifelines' too over a naked pic of him onstage his knackers being covered up with his SG. It was so refreshing him being asked how many guitars do you own his reply being 'One'. I have not heard Curtain Call in years. I must dig it out.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jan 25, 2013, 06:58
I love the Bowie Deram Anthology which is basically an expansion on the Images material. Think it's probably neglected with the exceptionof the Laughing Gnome which people trot out as a live request, but I'm especially fond of Karma Man, Silly Boy Blue, We Are Hungry Men and a couple of others. This was back when he was influenced by Anthony Newley and often had string accompaniment so touching on the MOR but singing some touching vignettes.

& thinking about things from roughly the same era and possibly similar style I love Blaze! the psychedelic era lp by Herman's Hermits. Stone Roses always reminded me of that lp melodically, wonder if it has anything to do with a shared geographical location?

Also Donovan's psychedelic lps are great, just reminded cos Blaze! has a cover of his museum on. Not sure how unsung he is though.

& tangentially, reminded of the solo Bob Mould tour from '89 which was great, recordings of that which has him with a rhythm section of Anton Fier & Tony Maimone are worth searching out. Not sure how sung they are , it relates to the Workbook lp but that was a lot more acoustic. Live was electric.

I think Adventure the 2nd Television lp is rather neglected particularly relatively to Marquee Moon. It's th estudio lp I tend to return to but I think I [probably listen to them more live tahn anything.
Just trying to think if White Light/White Heat has a similar relationship to the 1st VU lp? Seems way more based in groove than that does and I think I might like it even more or about the same.

Oh yeah, when people reference the Gun Club it's normaly Fire of Love their most r'n'r/psychobilly orientated work though I think that's probably a little 1 dimensional view of the goods on offer. I always prefered Miami which is more psychedelic.

Stevo
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Jan 25, 2013, 08:29
Blur: 'Modern Life Is Rubbish'

Some moments of pure inspiration. A band absolutely at their creative peak, IMO. The more commercially successful albums were still ahead of them, but that was only because by then the masses had caught up with what the hip kids already had seen.
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index