Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1706 posts

Re: Albums that deserve a second chance
Jan 25, 2013, 20:05
Sin Agog wrote:
Kid Calamity wrote:
Blur: 'Modern Life Is Rubbish'

Some moments of pure inspiration. A band absolutely at their creative peak, IMO. The more commercially successful albums were still ahead of them, but that was only because by then the masses had caught up with what the hip kids already had seen.

I always thought they were totally invoking the Cardiacs on that 'un! Wonder if Albarn ever gave 'em a shout out in an interview.

Yeah, they definitely acknowledged it. Gave Cardiacs a support slot at one of their big Parklife-era outdoor shows in the East End somewhere I believe, just to confuse the britpoppettes.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2373 posts

Jan 26, 2013, 12:47
Totally with you RE: Wowee Zowee, still my fav' Pavement record. As you say, scans a lot better than their other efforts, quite enjoy Terror Twighlight. Though it deffo has that final album vibe going on.
Repossessed
79 posts

Jan 26, 2013, 16:15
Monganaut wrote:
Totally with you RE: Wowee Zowee, still my fav' Pavement record. As you say, scans a lot better than their other efforts, quite enjoy Terror Twighlight. Though it deffo has that final album vibe going on.

I quite enjoy TT too. On the other hand, I always found Brighten the Corners quite underwhelming. TT was definitely an improvement, even though the band was essentially breaking up at the time.
tk421
121 posts

Jan 26, 2013, 20:58
Good call - Reverberation is a fine album as are the two singles released after it, Prove Me Wrong & Inside Me Inside You.

The difference between them to me is the sound. It's hard to explain but the singles are quite raw and garagey sounding while Reverberation has a more polished and produced sound. Still a good sound though.

Another album that deserves a second chance is Fireproof by That Petrol Emotion. Released a few years after John O'Neill left and after the alternative pop of Chemicrazy. This is a straight out, blistering, and hugely enjoyable rock album.

It always reminds me that I should never pay attention to end of year polls. From memory this got 9/10 in the NME when it was released but their time had passed and it promptly bombed. It never appeared in the end of year poll while Suede's debut (which I like) was given a bad review, then was successful and was made album of the year...

Them's the breaks.

Anyway they reformed to play a few gigs a few years and were still great. This is a little of them in London at the time with a similar sound to Fireproof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ8ljQbxme0
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Jan 26, 2013, 23:52
Can - most of their mid to latter stuff is great - Landed, Flow Motion, Saw Delight. They don't get mentioned unlike say Tago Mago and Future Days.

David Bowie - Outside & Earthling

PIL - 9. It is actually my favourite PIL album

Captain Beefheart - Unconditionally Guaranteed, Bluejeans & Moonbeams. Highly derided - even Beefheart told people to get their money back on them. I suppose if you were expecting typical 'out there' beefheart fare, you would be disappointed. But the fact is, there a lot of very nice, poppy and melodious songs on there

I have said these kind of things on more than one occasion of course...
rickdog
1 posts

Edited Jan 27, 2013, 01:52
Jan 27, 2013, 01:37
Manuel Göttsching - Inventions for Electric Guitar

[img]http://i.imgur.com/lX0y3hV.jpg[/img]
Released 1975

RYM Rating - 3.87 from 543 ratings
Ranked #58 for 1975 , #2,311 overall
Genres Krautrock, Progressive ElectronicBerlin School, Ambient, Space Rock
Common tags krautrock, 1975, germany, electronic, progressive electronic, ambient, kraut, berlin school, 70s, prog, progressive

Blogspot this release

at Poofter's Forth Wyoming
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Jan 27, 2013, 03:13
Jan 27, 2013, 03:11
Husker Du "Warehouse: Songs & Stories" -- somewhat derided as overlong and pretentious, but I think it almost stands alone as a "mature punk rock" album (i.e., not doing songs "for the kids" anymore). Something like 25 tunes on there, and lots of them are real gems. Only drawback for me is the dreaded "80's gated snare".

Replacements "Hootenanny" -- all the hype was due to the albums that followed, but I think this is a pretty hilarious bunch o' shit! Almost like Jon Wayne's "Texas Funeral" in outrageous badness.

Rolling Stones "Their Satanic Majesties Request" -- I think it's their best album!!!
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jan 27, 2013, 13:34
With you on "Fireproof" too. I don't think TPE made a bad album really. Wish I'd seen 'em when they got back together for a bit.
Bolox2
110 posts

Jan 27, 2013, 15:14
Dog 3000 wrote:

Rolling Stones "Their Satanic Majesties Request" -- I think it's their best album!!!

So do I
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Jan 27, 2013, 16:28
I have been getting excellent mileage out of the many gems hidden in the late sixties Beach Boys albums. I had put them away in the dark London punk years. I was prompted listening to John Cale on Desert Island Discs. They are very L.A.
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index