Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Brik
586 posts

Re: Albums that deserve a second chance
Jan 25, 2013, 00:47
Moon Cat wrote:
Brik wrote:

The Damned - Phantasmagoria / Anything - There's no Captain, but without this tongue-in-cheek Madness soundtracking Hammer Horror period I can't help but feel there'd be a bit of a hole.

Siouxsie & The Banshees - The Rapture - Some of the commercial elements grate a bit, but Sick Child, Fall From Grace and the title track redeem it in spades. I'll also nominate Join Hands. Ignore The Lord's Prayer and it's a wonderful slice o bile.

Kate Bush - Director's Cut - Deeper Understanding was a baaaaad choice of single. Much of the Sensual World stuff was fine, but the Red Shoes tracks are leaps and bounds ahead of the original issue. It's quite lovely!

Brain Donor - Drain'd Boner - More than just noise! Well maybe not, but after a couple of casual spins it can really grab you.

I have love for all of those items, especially a new-found re-love for Drain'd Bonor.

Never heard The Creatures "Boomerang" though. Is that the Spanish influenced one?

That's the one, it's got a surprisingly denser sound than Feast with plenty of bolshy brass and there's a lot more emphasis on the lyrical side versus the more chanty ones. If you struggle to source it at all I can put it in my Box doodah account, as a Siouxsie fan you must! There's a big amount of variety to it though; it really should be in circulation.

Here's my own two favourites, all nice and bluesy, if you fancy a gander though; I think I read Jeff Buckley used to cover this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvFcwIV8Caw

And this un's a pure strutter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKlaCzPX3-U

PS. My love for Drain'd came during my annual Cope-a-thon this year, I even broke me own rule and backtracked for a second go around. Nagasaki Mshroom nailed me and Just About Now is summat else!
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Jan 25, 2013, 00:50
Nice one - will have a read.

8)
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jan 25, 2013, 00:56
Might take you up on The Creatures thing, thanks. I only have the Bestiary now, and the Anima/Animus album.

Drain'd Bonor, though I enjoyed it on purchase, suddenly clicked big-time late last year. Nice when that happens I think! x
keith a
9565 posts

Jan 25, 2013, 00:58
Brik wrote:

The Cure - Faith - I think this was when they seemed to begin mimicking their peers (esp. The Banshees - anyone else pick up on that?)

I always thought it was more of a case of them mimicking themselves. I like Faith but it did sound sound a bit 17 Seconds Pt 2.

Good call on The Rapture - I've gone back to it in recent years and it really does have some top notch Banshees moments on it.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jan 25, 2013, 01:01
IanB wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:
Black Sabbath - Mob Rules.

"Voodoo" stands out for me as does the devastatingly monstrous riff of "Sign of The Southern Cross", which is basically Godzilla's DNA in music form.
So "Mob Rules" isn't, IMO, the poor cousin to the previous album and it was a pleasure and privilege to hear these tunes do what turned out to be a lap of honour when they were toured under the "Heaven & Hell" banner prior to Dio's passing. "Mob Rules" rules! m/

Oh that is a really great record. The Sign of the "Southern Cross" / "Heaven & Hell" medley on the Dio era live album is also an absolute corker.

I saw THAT line-up on the Mob Rules tour (Hammy Odeon!) which was fab to my then young eyes, ears and brain, but "Southern Cross" as done by Heaven & Hell was....ooooh....just fucking HUGE and incredible so many years later.
keith a
9565 posts

Jan 25, 2013, 01:02
Moon Cat wrote:
I, by the way, am not, and have not criticised J Peel for changing his tune, although the Ponk revisionists, who lest we forget are now as old (if not older), in relative terms, as the dinosaurs they wished to supplant, have had a remarkably easy ride of critical consensus over the decades.

Really? Like who?
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jan 25, 2013, 01:02
keith a wrote:

Good call on The Rapture - I've gone back to it in recent years and it really does have some top notch Banshees moments on it.

I saw them on that tour. They seemed really happy doing the new with the old, I thought.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Jan 25, 2013, 01:24
Jan 25, 2013, 01:22
keith a wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:
I, by the way, am not, and have not criticised J Peel for changing his tune, although the Ponk revisionists, who lest we forget are now as old (if not older), in relative terms, as the dinosaurs they wished to supplant, have had a remarkably easy ride of critical consensus over the decades.

Really? Like who?

I mean by that that it is easy to pronounce oneself a fan of a range of punk and post-punk acts without fear of brick-bats or ridicule (although the dispatching of similar to supposed less bullet-proof genres is fine) because they are things that have, by and large, achieved critical consensus. This, by the way, is by no means an critique of particular bands - rather that, up until fairly recently perhaps, you would never, in a billion cartoon years, get someone saying "Er...Joy Division*. They weren't that good!" because no one, frankly, would dare.
Plus, the main-stream music press, what's left of it, is mostly 'personned' by 50+ post-punk survivors, who have enjoyed, and are used to, a fair amount of casually accepted sway and influence and inhabit a world where certain English pop musics are, weirdly, with certain aspects of a supposed activist-spawned Americana strain of 'rock' (vulgar word I know) and its fall-out, critically unassailable.

*An example, not a critique.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Jan 25, 2013, 01:47
Jan 25, 2013, 01:42
Faith No More - King for a Day, Fool for a Lifetime.
Doves - Kingdom of Rust
Dandy Warhols - Welcome to the Monkey House.
Led Zeppelin - Presence (though I think this has worked its way into the 'like' sphere now)

Basement Jaxx - Kish Kash.

Deep Purple - Come Taste The Band. Top album; main problems I'd wager are the words "Deep" and "Purple"

Echo & The Bunnymen - Reverberation. See above in a way. It's not a terrible collection of songs. It's just in the wrong livery.
keith a
9565 posts

Jan 25, 2013, 01:51
Moon Cat wrote:
keith a wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:

Really? Like who?

I mean by that that it is easy to pronounce oneself a fan of a range of punk and post-punk acts without fear of brick-bats or ridicule (although the dispatching of similar to supposed less bullet-proof genres is fine) because they are things that have, by and large, achieved critical consensus. This, by the way, is by no means an critique of particular bands - rather that, up until fairly recently perhaps, you would never, in a billion cartoon years, get someone saying "Er...Joy Division*. They weren't that good!" because no one, frankly, would dare.
Plus, the main-stream music press, what's left of it, is mostly 'personned' by 50+ post-punk survivors, who have enjoyed, and are used to, a fair amount of casually accepted sway and influence and inhabit a world where certain English pop musics are, weirdly, with certain aspects of a supposed activist-spawned Americana strain of 'rock' (vulgar word I know) and its fall-out, critically unassailable.

*An example, not a critique.

Surely it depends on the company when it comes to what is ridiculed. I've been with people who like, say, rock who have happily ridiculed punk/post-punk. It's hard to believe now how punk split opinion back then. Revisonism is only part of the story - fans of the the old guard were'nt shy about slagging off punk. And saying you liked punk bands back then set you up for more than ridicule. I wasn't exactly a punk, just someone who liked the music but I do remember being scared one night just for wearing drainies!

What was that article in one of the music magazines? Was it called Sacred Cows where they'd slag off some so-called sacred band like Joy Division or the Velvets. But they are very much a minority and in any case it becomes a bit of a cycle. The Doors never seemed to get slagged off until the film came out and suddenly everyone hated them. Led Zep had a time when they were distinctly out of favour with a lot of people but they came back into 'fashion' and now no-one seems to have a bad word about them.

Going back a bit I was surprised to see Robin Hitchcock pick out the Beatles in the revisionism thing - I know the story was that Glen Matlock got sacked from the Pistols because he liked The Beatles but that always sounded like a PR joke. Everyone I knew who liked punk liked The Beatles! Most of us didn't other with the revisionism in any case. I was certainly still into Gentle Giant in '77! It was more of a gradual process with many of us, realising that we were no longer so keen on some of the records we'd liked a few years earlier.
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index