Register
Unsung Forum »
"new" Klaus Dinger finally coming out?

18 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
phallus dei
583 posts

Edited Jan 15, 2013, 15:06
Re: "new" Klaus Dinger finally coming out?
Jan 15, 2013, 15:01
I have all of Dinger's stuff, except for "Mon Amour" which came out in 2006 and was just a resequenced reissue of "Neondian."

"Live in Tokyo vol 2" is definitely a let down compared to the mighty "live in Tokyo vol 1", which I consider a high point in Dinger's career. That being said, it is still worth getting.

"vol 2" is the first half of the same Tokyo concert. It is two discs, with the first disc being the stronger of the two. I would have loved to have been in the audience that night!

The second disc was harder to get into. It consists of a long part where Dinger is just playing over the P.A. a recorded message a fan from New Zealand sent him! And then Dinger plays excerpts of that fan's music, which is predictably in a Dinger-style! At first I was like WTF? But now I see it as another example of the way Dinger was trying to highlight his fans within his own art of the 1990s. (Other examples being the fan letter reproduced in NEU! Live in Dusseldorf, the cover to La! NEU!'s "Year of the Tiger" and my own fan letter that he reproduced on the old Dingerland web-site).

The only real weak section on the CD comes next, with surprisingly bland versions of "May Day" and "America." Totally unexpected that "America" lacks authenticity here, at least to my ears.

All in all, worth getting, and more consistent than the La! NEU? live in Kunsthalle release.

Unsung Forum Index