Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Jan 06, 2013, 21:35
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 6 January 2013 CE
Jan 06, 2013, 21:16
Sister Rosetta Tharpe Shout Sister Shout
1st disc of a Proper 4cd set. Not heard the rest yet. But this is pretty great sounds very blues based, this disc spans late 30s to early 40s so contemporary with Robert Johnson etc. Sounds it, not sure how different I'm expecting Gospel to sound, but I guess the mainstream is pretty different.
She hasn't really got into electric guitar that much yet but is playing very rhythmically. Think 2nd disc may be even better, looking forward to hearing this through.

Honky Tonk Heroes
this is a more widespread sampling of 40s/50s country than the title would suggest for the most part. I'm not sure to what extent the artists on here would be categorised as Honky Tonk there are bits of bluegrass among other things here. Anyway it came on the front of the Gram Parsons covered Uncut and hangs together pretty well.
Would have loved to get something like this back when I was getting into the Gun Club/Nick Cave etc. Reminds me I'd love to get the text of the Gun Club NmE interview where the writer goes through the list of delta blues/early country artists that JLP was probably influenced by. Came in the edition with JLP on the cover with his blond hair blowing in the wind http://pinterest.com/pin/139400550937438550/ (if that works).

Django Django
art-rock/prog/krautrock/psych stuff from last year.
There are some very interesting instrumental textures on here but so far I'm not 100% convinced by the vocals. Do like the Tiger Mountain era Eno-isms of Hail Bopp but not so much the Beach Boysish stuff later on. Maybe a few more listens will get me there more.

Sensation's Fix Music is painting
Krautrock like musical meditations recorded by an Italian partially in Virginia. Really like bits of this but may take a few more listens to get everything else to sink in.
A band that I've seen recoomended for years, here in alternative and remixed form largely. Have been told the 1st 2 studio lps at least are worth checking out.

Sun Ra Old Waldorf San Francisco 4/4/81 disc2
pretty spaced out set from one of my favourite periods of the band, the turn of the 80s.
He's covering some of the swingish material in a very spaced out style.
Same could be said for
Nuclear War.
weird that lp being out through Y the label run by Pop Group etc.
That has some really other takes on standards like Charlie Chaplin's Smile with June Tyson's vocals & whatever keyboard Ra himself was playing.

Grateful Dead Two From The Vault
think I heard pretty much all of the first disc in random order on my walkman as I came home. Random is supposed to cover a lot of different artists so not sure why it got stuck on the same one.
Do love this band especially about this time, August '68. Was trying to think when '69's purple period was but not sure beyond possibly the February run that most of Live Dead comes from.
In '68 and '70 there are months from which pretty everything electric is staggering. These being August '68 and May '70 especially.

Fusioon Absolute
this does sound even better on my 3-changer stereo than it did on my portable cd-player thing at my mother's. Very interesting. Really, not hearing the Egg/Soft Machine thing that much anymore. Worth hearing anyway.

various other bits & pieces that will probably come back to me later. & the usual endless surprise of what my walkman throws up at me from the 350 hours it has stored on it.

Reading
The White Goddess
finally getting around to reading this, though not sure to what extent I can really read this on puublic transport. think it's too in depth, could be wrong.

Iceberg Slim Pimp
so far only read the introduction but looking forward to reading the rest of this, been meaning to pick it up for years.Autobiography of Iceberg Slim one time pimp and the name source for Ices T & Cube.
Also got Trick Baby when I picked this up, which was £2 in HMV whereas Pimp was a 2 for £10 thing which lead me to buying the Keith Moon bio Dear Boy cos it was in the same promotion

Dark Star oral history of Jerry Garcia
verry interesting. Finally replacing a copy that was nicked with a box of other books as I moved out of a shared place just before the turn of the millenium. I'd moved things into th ehallway to load into a taxi that didn't turn up, left them overnight and then found out that it looked like a box was missing. Wish I'd numbered them, not been able to replace some of the other contents yet.

Mati Klarwein the new book of 52 covers etc
lp sized book with ability to look at images in great detail. have loved the guy's art since I first saw it so this was a great thing to get for Xmas. Have hoped for something similar for years.

TimeMazine 5,6,7
Greek produced psychedelic fanzine of great interest & quality. Some very revealing interviews with psychedelic artists. Today I read about Gary Duncan's black ops work in early 60s Vietnam which he thinks may have actually started the war.
Each edition comes with a full length cd compi, could do with the last 2 of which having labels cos I think I'm pretty bound to confuse them, both being white. Anyway great listening.

Ugly-Things #34
as great as usual, not sure if anything stands out quite as much as the Johnny Echols interview in the previous edition or the multi-part Misunderstood story of a fw issues back but great nonetheless.
Did really enjoy Cyril Jordan's story of the British Invasion era in San francisco. Also the article on Detroit's Spikedriver's whose cd I picked up a couple of years back and is very good, shame they fell apart before they really got anywhere.
anyway, pick this up and you'll probably enjoy it.

Watching
Jack Reacher
very atmospheric film , visceral, violent and better than I thought it was going to be. Not sure who I'd rather have than To m Cruise in th etitle role, think he just about pulls it off but think there may be better candidates.

Inglorious Basterds
in which Tarantino rewrites the history of the demise of one of the great despots of the 2oth century without apparently caring. Bit of a drag with the subtitles, think I probably need to get a bigger, normal size tv finally.

Stevo
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index