Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Jan 06, 2013, 12:38
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 6 January 2013 CE
Jan 06, 2013, 12:25
Andy Stott - Luxury Problems.

Well. What a beautifully packaged vacuum of ideas this is. Considering the incredible reviews this has received I was expecting a lot more. I was looking forward to something that broke new ground, or at least made me go 'oooh.. nice' on a reasonably regular basis. What I didn't expect was some extremely dull unimaginative and uninspiring tracks built around predictable flat four rhythms, with extraordinarily long intros and featuring just the occasional and passingly interesting transition. Ok, 'Up the box' does have a slightly altered Amen break.. yeah. Scorn and Porter Ricks did all this better, even Black Dog Productions recent(ish) work is better and thats some mostly poor stuff. Another thing, having a backdrop that goes all 'woooohummmm' on a track doesn't make it dark or unsettling, its just silly and always has been. I'd love to read the press release that went out with this to reviewers, it must be as stunning as the packaging is.

Brian Jonestown Massacre - Aufheben

Liking this a lot. Its one of those albums that creep up on you. Talking of bad reviews, I read somewhere this described as 'Kraut influenced surf rock'... er no.. its not. But it is good mind you.

Biblo - All finished EP

Now this netlabel release is definitely worth the time of anyone who likes dub techno. But to call it simply dub techno is to do it a disservice as its pushing the form a lot. Actually, its more a collection of tracks that have the form as an influence, among many others. A familiarity then, but with a lot more ideas than 'Luxury Problems'. Carter Tutti would be more than happy with the last track on it if they'd written it, it sounds a lot like something they've attempted a few times. Its available for free download here http://eicvirtual7inch.bandcamp.com/album/eicv7-no-29 and more of her work is available here https://soundcloud.com/biblo .

John White & Gavin Bryars - Machine Music

Inspired by the recent Gavin related thread I dug out this collection of mad compositions. Still most definitely different and entertaining.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index