Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 6 January 2013 CE

20 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 6 January 2013 CE
Jan 06, 2013, 14:10
Happy New Year from the South London/Croydon edgelands...

A minimalist start to the New Year:

Thomas Koner: Novaya Zemlya and subtitled "Towards a metaphysical geography" which is why a had to get it being a geography lecturer! Novaya Zemlya is an Arctic archipelago north of Russia (name translates as New Land). Three beautiful 10+ minute tracks - so much space in these tracks, very much headphone music but the distant rumbles sound great through speakers too.

Thomas Koner: Permafrost - my favourite of the 3 album collection of his earlier music released a couple of years ago (Nunatak & Teimo the others)

Pietro Riparbelli: Three days of silence (and subtitled "The mountain of the stigmata") - Field recordings from an Italian monastery associated with St Francis. Birds tweeting, footsteps on stone floors, drones (can't be field recordings surely but only instruments listed are Edirol recorders...) and then the beautiful organ/singing of the monks - sounding distant, the composer doesn't seem to intrude in the monks space. Not sure I'd recommend folks to rush and buy it, nothing much happens but I have been playing it lots - v peaceful and calming.

KTL: V - this is magnificent though I have to confess I struggle with the last track, which given it was recorded for an installation seems different to the rest of the album. But in any case I currently find the first 4 tracks (50+ mins worth anyway) fantastic, track 4 sounding to me like a natural conclusion to the album with the addition of the Prague Philharmonic orchestra adding great depth to Rehberg/O'Malley's sounds.

To counteract the above list, been rocking out to:

Six Organs of Admittance - Ascent
Teeth of the Sea - Your Mercury & Hypnoticon (looking forward to the new album due soon)

Oren Ambarchi: Sagittarian Domain - still on heavy rotation
Grails: Deep Politics

And then I had a couple of evenings of retro-krautrocking:

Faust: So Far/IV
Cluster: Zuckerzeit/Sowiesoso
Harmonia: Musik vom Harmonia
Ash Ra Tempel: s/t

And finally mustn't forget Nige and The Untied Knot - Rien N'Existe still on repeat listen.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index