Bee Gees - 1st

Brian Eno - LUX

Cluster - st

Cluster - II

Cluster - Zuckerzeit

Cluster - Sowiesoso

Harmonia - Musik von Harmonia

Big Star - # 1 Album

Big Star - Keep An Eye On The Sky (discs 1 & 2)

Eddie Harris - High Voltage

Joni Mitchell - Clouds

Ray Charles - Singular Genius (disc 1)

Gary Clark Jr. - The Bright Lights EP

Paul & Linda McCartney - Ram

Henry Mancini - Peter Gunn

The Walker Brothers - When The Lights Go Out

Scott Walker - And Who Shall Go to the Ball? And What Shall Go to the Ball?

Andy Partridge - Powers

Tracks :

Meshell Ndegeocello - Suzanne (many spins !)

The Residents - Santa Dog 2012

Rod Riguez - I'll Slip Away
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 6 January 2013 CE
Jan 06, 2013, 11:01
1001realapes wrote:
Bee Gees - Sing and Play 14 Barry Gibb Songs

Bee Gees - Monday's Rain

Don't tell me you actually have these LPs! Or did you just burn your own CDs from the various compilations like I did? Easily done.

Anyway here's my listening for the week:

Bridget St John - BBC Radio 1968-1976

The Rolling Stones - Grrr!

Vashti Bunyan - Some Things Just Stick In Your Mind

Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom

Bat For Lashes - The Haunted Man

VA - Midwinter Disc 4 ('The Old & The New' - One Year To The Next)

Matt Berry - Opium

Amazing Blondel - Fantasia Lindum

The Beach Boys - Holland
1001realapes
1001realapes
2389 posts

Jan 06, 2013, 11:15
flashbackcaruso wrote:
1001realapes wrote:
Bee Gees - Sing and Play 14 Barry Gibb Songs

Bee Gees - Monday's Rain

Don't tell me you actually have these LPs! Or did you just burn your own CDs from the various compilations like I did? Easily done.

Yes , from the Brilliant From Birth comp

a much more coherent way of listening
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Jan 06, 2013, 11:27
Been on a bit of an Americana trip this week, largely due to some £3 Warners CD bargains at a well known record store chain:

Little Feat 'Feats Don't Fail Me Now', 'The Last Record Album' and 'Dixie Chicken'
Neil Young & Crazy Horse 'Psychedelic Pill'
Dave Brubeck Quartet 'Bossa Nova U.S.A.'
Emmylou Harris 'Luxury Liner' and 'Quarter Moon In A Ten Cent Town'
ZZ Top 'Tres Hombres' and 'Fandango'
Gene Clark 'No Other'
Love 'Love', 'Da Capo' and 'Four Sail' (my, how underrated is the last named)
Ry Cooder 'Ry Cooder' and 'Boomer's Story'

Emphatically not American: Caravan 'Live At Shepherds Bush Empire 8/10/11' (in preparation for their Sage gig next Saturday: can't wait); and
Brian Eno 'Apollo', 'Ambient 4: On Land' and 'Lux' - which is a late contender for my album of 2012.

Also immersed myself in the wonderfully indulgent 20CD box of recordings of Stravinsky's 'Le Sacre du Printemps' issued by Universal to commemorate the 100th anniversary of its riotous premiere. Particularly gripping were Minneapolis SO/Antal Dorati (Mercury, 1953), LSO/Colin Davis (Philips, 1963) and BPO/Bernard Haitink (Philips, 1995). I'm going to have a lot of fun with this in the coming months.

Happy New Year, and week, dear friends.

Dave
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Jan 06, 2013, 12:38
Jan 06, 2013, 12:25
Andy Stott - Luxury Problems.

Well. What a beautifully packaged vacuum of ideas this is. Considering the incredible reviews this has received I was expecting a lot more. I was looking forward to something that broke new ground, or at least made me go 'oooh.. nice' on a reasonably regular basis. What I didn't expect was some extremely dull unimaginative and uninspiring tracks built around predictable flat four rhythms, with extraordinarily long intros and featuring just the occasional and passingly interesting transition. Ok, 'Up the box' does have a slightly altered Amen break.. yeah. Scorn and Porter Ricks did all this better, even Black Dog Productions recent(ish) work is better and thats some mostly poor stuff. Another thing, having a backdrop that goes all 'woooohummmm' on a track doesn't make it dark or unsettling, its just silly and always has been. I'd love to read the press release that went out with this to reviewers, it must be as stunning as the packaging is.

Brian Jonestown Massacre - Aufheben

Liking this a lot. Its one of those albums that creep up on you. Talking of bad reviews, I read somewhere this described as 'Kraut influenced surf rock'... er no.. its not. But it is good mind you.

Biblo - All finished EP

Now this netlabel release is definitely worth the time of anyone who likes dub techno. But to call it simply dub techno is to do it a disservice as its pushing the form a lot. Actually, its more a collection of tracks that have the form as an influence, among many others. A familiarity then, but with a lot more ideas than 'Luxury Problems'. Carter Tutti would be more than happy with the last track on it if they'd written it, it sounds a lot like something they've attempted a few times. Its available for free download here http://eicvirtual7inch.bandcamp.com/album/eicv7-no-29 and more of her work is available here https://soundcloud.com/biblo .

John White & Gavin Bryars - Machine Music

Inspired by the recent Gavin related thread I dug out this collection of mad compositions. Still most definitely different and entertaining.
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Edited Jan 06, 2013, 17:16
Jan 06, 2013, 12:31
Albums

Orchid - Heretic EP
Rodriguez - Cold Fact
Masters of Reality - Masters of Reality
Goat - 6Music Mix
Andrew Weatherall - Masterpiece
Dr. John - Locked Down
Pond - Beard Wives Denim
VA - Fort Worth Teen Scene Vol.3
Guapo - New album
Ulver - Oddities and Rarities No.1
Viva Voce - Artifaktz 1997-2001
Jake Bugg - Jake Bugg
Group Rhoda - Out Of Time, Out Of Touch
MV & EE - Space Homestead
Cult Of Luna - Vertikal
Ian Skelly - Cut From A Star
Arbouretum - Coming out of the Fog
Grouper - The Man Who Died In His Boat

Tracks

AEDI - Yaca
Mark and Rebecca Williamson - Seeing is Believing
Ofo & The Black Company - Allah Wakbarr
Roots - It's Been a Long Journey
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Jan 06, 2013, 16:58
Jan 06, 2013, 12:47
Hail to 2013

Thus...

Wintersun - ST. Completely ott and thus very enjoyable power/battle/prog/everything up to and including the kitchen sink metal. Brilliantly executed and apparently the long gestated follow up is even madder. Huzzah!

Nightwish - Imaginerium. Fab! This is one of those odd albums that come along every so often that, regardless of genre, when you're in the right mood for it, feels like the best album ever made. Gloriously silly and in extra large portions.

Om- Advaitic Songs. Love it!

Baroness - The Red Album/The Blue Record. Top band doing great things. Love their artwork too.
Acoustic Ladyland - Living with a Tiger.
Astra - The Black Chord. Second helping of expansive neo-prog. V good!
Boris - Smile. Ok, I shall 8^D

Muse - The 2nd Law. Very good. I know the notion of some rock bands incorporating dubstep elements in their music arrived with a crashing inevitability, but I think Muse pull it off with taste and discretion here. A strong album.

Diagonal - The 2nd Mechanism. Proglicious!

The Haarp Machine - Disclosure. As you may guess from the name, the lyrical thrust is from the David Icke school of lizard based conspiracy theory, but it's well meant and actually makes sense when it's aligned with some sterling, proggy djent metal with nice arrangements and eastern infused melodies and sounds. Some amazing guitar (and sitar!) work. And at a concise 33 minutes, it doesn't outstay its welcome and demands instant replay to delve into the maelstrom again.

The Contortionist - Intrinsic. Full on djent metal madness. Wheeeee poing chuggachuggachugga briiiiiiiiing aiieeeeee grrrrarrrk glim glim aroooga dunt dunt kaflooey! Like!

Ackercocke - Rape of the Bastard Nazerene. Apparently on hiatus, they remain one of my fave extreme metal bands of recentish years with their heady mix of blackened, melodic Death metal with proggy and occasionally electronic interludes. This debut album from years back suffers a bit from the constraints of a self-released production but still a corker. Think the title panders a bit to the Magic FM massive though.

Beth Hart - Boom Boom Bang Bang. I heard a couple of tracks from an album she recorded with Joe Bonamassa and loved her voice and when I saw this new album as a £1 promo I thought I'd give it a whirl. Nice it is too. Strong songs in the blues, trad r n b redemption from the fallen arena, albeit in something of a 'Later - Jool's' friendly coat, but her fab, damaged-goods voice rises above the backing. Doubt it'll be on huge rotation in my pod, but when I'm in the mood, oh yes! Someone should give her Jimmy Page's phone number.

Bat For Lashes - The Haunted Man. A welcome Chrissy pressie. Very much something of a slow burner and I think I'll always prefer her songs with a more organic coat than the electronic one she favours of late, but a few plays have revealed some excellent songs up there with anything she's done before and I'm looking forward to getting to know this better.

Lord of the Grave - Green Vapour. Aptly named miasmic fug of doom/stoner thrunch and riffage.

Imaad Wasif - The Voidist. Nice mix of folky elements with retro rock stylings and some lush, vintage guitar work.

Jex Thoth - ST. Great, female fronted occult rock.

Ian Skelly - Cut from a Star. After reading nice things about this on Unsung (thanks Andfurthermoreagain!), I was pleased when serendipity provided a promo copy out of the blue a couple of days ago. The ex-drummer of The Coral - a band I'd lost interest in really - turns multi-instrumentalist and produces a very fine slice of psyche/pastoral/folky and even prog-tinged whimsy and charm, evoking shades of early Floyd, Syd, Drake and others of that era. Good songs and lovely, tingly arrangements. Don't know how it compares to latter day Coral, but I like this a lot.

The Creature with the Atom Brain - The Birds Fly Low. Another serendipitous sniff for a quid and v pleased I am too. Excellent Belgian (I think!) 70's hued psyche rock; top tunes and performances and left me hungry for more.

That's me I think.

Have a nice week and a happy new year x
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Jan 06, 2013, 13:08
I think i saw Creature with the Atom Brain supporting Mark Lanegan in the summer - i think they shared a couple of members too. Not bad...
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Jan 06, 2013, 13:26
Now listening to bandcamp tracks from Solus 3's Corner of The Dub. Good stuff. Elsewhere:

Gaz Coombes presents Here Come the Bombs. Consistently good for me, from the lead singer of SuperGrass

Broadcast - Ha Ha sound. Started to dip into this. Broadcast getting a bit of favourable press at the moment for their Berberian Sound Studio album. Which i must also check out

The Pretty Things - Parachute

Colin Newman - Commercial Suicide

Hookworms - S/T

Anais Mitchell - Young Man in America. Not as strong as Hadestown, but still worth a listen.

Can - Future Days

Julian Cope - 2nd disc of Jehovahkill, Jehovahcoat demos, Skellington
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Jan 06, 2013, 14:10
Happy New Year from the South London/Croydon edgelands...

A minimalist start to the New Year:

Thomas Koner: Novaya Zemlya and subtitled "Towards a metaphysical geography" which is why a had to get it being a geography lecturer! Novaya Zemlya is an Arctic archipelago north of Russia (name translates as New Land). Three beautiful 10+ minute tracks - so much space in these tracks, very much headphone music but the distant rumbles sound great through speakers too.

Thomas Koner: Permafrost - my favourite of the 3 album collection of his earlier music released a couple of years ago (Nunatak & Teimo the others)

Pietro Riparbelli: Three days of silence (and subtitled "The mountain of the stigmata") - Field recordings from an Italian monastery associated with St Francis. Birds tweeting, footsteps on stone floors, drones (can't be field recordings surely but only instruments listed are Edirol recorders...) and then the beautiful organ/singing of the monks - sounding distant, the composer doesn't seem to intrude in the monks space. Not sure I'd recommend folks to rush and buy it, nothing much happens but I have been playing it lots - v peaceful and calming.

KTL: V - this is magnificent though I have to confess I struggle with the last track, which given it was recorded for an installation seems different to the rest of the album. But in any case I currently find the first 4 tracks (50+ mins worth anyway) fantastic, track 4 sounding to me like a natural conclusion to the album with the addition of the Prague Philharmonic orchestra adding great depth to Rehberg/O'Malley's sounds.

To counteract the above list, been rocking out to:

Six Organs of Admittance - Ascent
Teeth of the Sea - Your Mercury & Hypnoticon (looking forward to the new album due soon)

Oren Ambarchi: Sagittarian Domain - still on heavy rotation
Grails: Deep Politics

And then I had a couple of evenings of retro-krautrocking:

Faust: So Far/IV
Cluster: Zuckerzeit/Sowiesoso
Harmonia: Musik vom Harmonia
Ash Ra Tempel: s/t

And finally mustn't forget Nige and The Untied Knot - Rien N'Existe still on repeat listen.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index