Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 25 November 2012 CE
Nov 26, 2012, 09:44
zphage wrote:
Kid Calamity wrote:
And, what's this Nona Hendryx - Mutatis Mutandis? Is this the singer who worked with Talking Heads all those years ago?

yes, and primary writer for Labelle

BTW she's on "Later" tomorrow.
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Nov 26, 2012, 10:20
So I gather. I'm intrigued to know more about this new album.

I always take note of a heads-up from the likes of Moon Cat and several others here, whose tastes are in a similar ballpark to my own - and for him to rate it as a year's best, made my ears prick up.
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Edited Nov 26, 2012, 13:55
Nov 26, 2012, 10:22
Squid Tempest wrote:
Led Zep - Celebration Day
Thoroughly enjoyed watching this, but it made me sad (a) that I didn't get tickets and (b) because I'll never see them live.

Did you get the full package; 2 CDs and 2 DVDs?

I'm aiming to get that when the prices come down (fingers crossed), after Xmas. I believe the rehearsals were good, but believe the film of it is from a single camera angle.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Nov 26, 2012, 10:31
Kid Calamity wrote:
So I gather. I'm intrigued to know more about this new album.

I always take note of a heads-up from the likes of Moon Cat and several others here, whose tastes are in a similar ballpark to my own - and for him to rate it as a year's best, made my ears prick up.

I can't feign a lack of bias as I have had a hand in getting it out in the UK but I would still attest that it is a mighty fine record with great tunes by a properly committed artist. Can't ask much more than that!
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Edited Nov 26, 2012, 13:53
Nov 26, 2012, 13:52
It's so nice to see someone like her regaining a bit of spotlight - and being worthy of it as a credible and proper muzo, rather than a sleb personality or whatever. So, hats off to you, Ian.

Whether it's up my street or not, I reserve judgement until I've seen her on TV, tomorrow evening (but, have an inkling she'll be pretty tasty, if Moon Cat and you give her the thumbs up).
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Nov 26, 2012, 13:54
2 CDs 1 DVD. Didn't know there was a 2 DVD set.
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Nov 26, 2012, 14:22
Oops. Sorry. That's probably put a dampener on it, hasn't it.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Nov 26, 2012, 16:14
Thanks for the link Ian.

You say that it isn't the fault of the listener if they don't like something, ie Bjork (And for me, whilst she may not be my fav artist ever, i still think she has done some interesting things - the favs that i have heard being Vespertine, Homogenic and Medulla). Presumably though, you have an aesthetic that you try to articulate, and would prefer people to appreciate and approach music with? Otherwise why would you go into so much detail about why she pisses you off so much? Going into so much detail trying to persuade people why you are justified in thinking she is a complete waste of time?

I suppose what i am saying is i didn't really get why she annoyed you so much - lots of music isn't to people's liking, but you seemed to take it personally?

Maybe you don't have an intellectual palette then, maybe i got that completely wrong. But you certainly intellectualise the listening process, and what you like. Your posts are certainly very lengthy at times. Not a criticism, just an observation...

Mr Dalliard, i've started to talk drivel now...

Thanks for the link anyway - very kind of you.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Nov 26, 2012, 16:21
Kid Calamity wrote:
Oops. Sorry. That's probably put a dampener on it, hasn't it.

Yeah, you bastard! *bangs head on table in frustration at missing a DVD*
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Nov 26, 2012, 16:56
And, that on top of the fact you'll never see them live.

Oops. Sorry done it again!
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index