Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 25 November 2012 CE
Nov 25, 2012, 14:57
Siena Root A New Day Dawning
I think this is their first lp, hadn't realised til I went to check the lp title. Very much a recapturing of an imaginary time in the early 70s. Somewhen around 72, heavyish rock with vocals reminiscent of bands like Traffic though I'm not sure to what extent that means an emulation of individual singers.
Been meaning to pick up material by these for a few years and not got around to it. But this appeared for €2 in a local recordshop that has a sale section that tends to reward a peruse.

Rolling Stones Sticky FIngers
been a while since I listened to the lp but in this remaster it sounds pretty deeply immediate. So as per usual another lp i shouldn't have neglected I love the long instrumental section of Can't You Hear Me Knocking but was wondering who would be playing slide, I think I should be familiar enough with the band to now who but don't. Bitch has a great central riff and the lp throughout remains pretty high standard. I guess it is a recognised classic for a reason?

"" "" Goat's Head Soup
the lp after Exile and one I wasn't familiar with until this week. seems to be a lot better than I feared, but it's still Mick Taylor era Stones so it's likely to be. I'm not framiliar with much of their material post-Exile still. Not sure what I'm missing. Is it much?

Mebusas Blood Brothers
some level of dichotomy between the fuzz monster music, at least in quite a few places, and the club singing vocals. influence presumably does mean different things in different contexts but I'm just wondering exactly who the singer's major influence is, seems almost like he's trying to be too European or something, though that could be an artificial perspective.
Anyway when this cooks this cooks, can get deeply funky. Not the biggest fan of their attempt at reggae though.

Roberta Flack First Take
the great singer's first acoustic-jazz soaked lp complete with Leonard Cohen cover with a breakbeat and Ewan Macoll's First Time Ever I saw Your Face in quite breathtaking version.
This has been one of my favourite lps since I first heard it. Her Quiet Fire is also pretty fantastic.

Electric Wizard Tampere Finland 23/11/12
live set from a couple of days ago that somebody managed to up almost immediately. The band has a new rhythm section that sound like they've fully integrated here. not being the greatest connoisseur of the band I don't think I'd immediately recognise the differences between various EW rhythm sections. But this is good, fluid and heavy anyway. band is sounding 'kin great anyway.
Heard that there was likely to be a tour in the new year, that's something to look forward to. I've still only seen them a couple of times live but those were fantastic.

Velvet Underground various, mainly 69s.
I think largely because I've been reading the Richie Unterberger book n them White Light/White Heat I grabbed a lot of the live sets I had lost earlier this year when one of my hard-drives crashed. On top of that a few of the missing ones have just been upped, a collection of the Boston Tea Party sets over on Trader's Den which is very good.

Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here
ok mid 70s glossy version of the band. I think I prefer them earlier, up to around '72 mainly. But Shine ON You Crazy Diamond is a great track anyway.

Grateful Dead various from archive.org. Great soundtrack for course I'm doing at the moment. Also various other bands from the site, great music resource that is.

various other stuff taht I can't think of offhand.
Loads of great stuff coming through the walkman, lots of rockabilly, psych, prog, folk, jazz & George Jones. Still turning up a lot of stuff that I haven't heard on it before. Notably this week Peanuts Wilson's Cast Iron Arm a great rockabilly number that I figure people must have covered heavily.

watching
THe Sapphires
I was in a pretty lousy mood on Wednesday night so went to see this instead of waiting around to see the Master which started an hour later. I guess it was quite enjoyable, certainly has some great singing in. But the chemistry between the romantic leads seemed to be lacking.

Argo
Ben Affleck vehicle which I hadn't realised he also directed until the credits. Think it did have me thinking it might be Ron Howard or something but taht might also have been cos one of the embassy staff looked a bit like him with a dark wig on, though I think he'd be way too young. Anyway I found it quite enjoyable, think Affleck did a good job in acting & directing as did the rest of the cast.

reading
largely TimeMazine the Greek psychedelic fanzine. Pretty great, I'd check it out if you get the chance to and haven't already. New edition just about to happen too.

Stevo
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Nov 25, 2012, 15:00
Been preparing for a gig on weds which sees Serafina Steer support 'Twisted Folk - The Revival Hour'. Listened to a few of her Resonance FM sessions, plus The Cheap Demo, Bad science album

Elsewhere:

Earthling - The Insomniac's Ball, Human Dust. I have a soft spot for them having discovered them in 95' on Jools Holland of all places, and then catching them soon after at Glastonbury. Can't say i'm that enamoured with his vocal delivery, but they just about hold together.

Stone Roses live somewhere in the summer off dimeadozen. Gor Blimey, Ian Brown's voice is even worse than i remembered live. I've seen him solo a couple of times and he just about got away with it, but not in live recorded format.

Magik Markers - assorted live recordings from here and there

Shearwater - the same

Cinematic Orchestra - Man with a Movie Camera, that Pink Flamingos one... The Crimson Wing

Phil Manzenera - Diamond Head

Nissenenmondai - Destination Tokyo

Some Mississippi John Hurt Best of

Moebius, Eno, Roedilius - After the Heat

Expo70 - Animism

Alice Donut - Ten Glorious Animals

Lumerians - Transmalinnia

Most of those last 6 artists, discovered here and then explored.

Which reminds me: Kosmiche Boy - Clockwork and Wikan - Samhain EP come recommended by me too.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Nov 25, 2012, 16:07
Nov 25, 2012, 15:07
Hail!

Carlton Melton - Live at Roadburn 2011. Never owned or heard anything by this band before though noted they've been getting lots of nods on here of late. Thanks to Hunter T for alerting us to this live, download freebie cos I like it very much indeed and will def be sniffing out more by this band. Great stuff!

Christos Fanaras - Impermanence. IanB has written an excellent and, to my mind accurate, review of this upstairs so I don't have much to add to it beyond that that it really is a fine 45 mins of excellent ambient electronica that manages to recall the colossi of the past with its feet in the present. There does seem to be a classical influence in there - not in a Rick Wakeman way - but rather in the details and mixtures of subtle melody with soundscapery. Too often this stuff can sound like someone's left a sequencer on "quite pleasant brain-lick" whilst they go and sit by the fire with a sherry for half an hour. This is definitely composed and arranged but it doesn't feel rigid. It's by no means a 'polite' ambient album but engrossing and thoughtful and very much recommended to anyone with the remotest interest in this kinda thing. I only disagree with Ian in that I think it would sound mega in a cave. But then I think lots of things would!

Ramesses - We Will Lead You to Glorious Times
Old Man Gloom - No
Children of Bodom - Hatebreeder
Nona Hendryx - Mutatis Mutandis. Def an album of the year for me!
White Hills - Frying on this Rock
Weird Owl - Build Your Beast A Fire
Speed Caravan - Kalashnik Love
Goat Snake - Trampled Underhoof
Stealing Sheep - Into The Diamond Sky. Delightful!
BT - Escm
The Smiths - Hatful of Hollow. Need to get this on CD. Vinyl's a bit battered now!
Jannick Topp - Soleil D'Ork. Great and Mad!
Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier. Pretty much a full-on prog-metal band these days.
Mediaevel Baebes - The Huntress
Invasion - The Master Alchemist. Genius. Are they defunct? Hope not!
Get The Blessing - OC/DC.

Have a nice week x
Bolox2
110 posts

Nov 25, 2012, 15:12
Stevo wrote:
Not sure what I'm missing. Is it much?

No. It's downhill to "It's Only Rock & Roll", then much more steeply downhill & then after "Tattoo You" off the cliff.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Nov 25, 2012, 16:04
Stevo wrote:
Siena Root A New Day Dawning
I think this is their first lp, hadn't realised til I went to check the lp title. Very much a recapturing of an imaginary time in the early 70s. Somewhen around 72, heavyish rock with vocals reminiscent of bands like Traffic though I'm not sure to what extent that means an emulation of individual singers.
Been meaning to pick up material by these for a few years and not got around to it. But this appeared for €2 in a local recordshop that has a sale section that tends to reward a peruse.

Stevo

I've got "Different Realities" by them which I really like. It starts off quite stonery and riffy and gradually cascades down into a folky, psychey vibe and definitely with it's heart in the early 70s.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Nov 25, 2012, 16:19
Nov 25, 2012, 16:06
jb lamptoast-morsley wrote:
Bjork's great... giz us a copy of that Francine Luce album would you? Seriously, if you could see your way to giving me a copy, i would be ever so grateful. I would even try and reciprocate, though i might be hard pressed to find things to match your intellectual palette...even if you do like Kiss (which i don't).

Now of course you are perfectly within your statutory rights to dismiss Bjork. And the albums you chose to listen should have given you ample opportunity to get into her, if you will excuse my unfortunate turn of phrase. I respond to her music on a more emotional level perhaps. Analysis not needed

My "intellectual palette"? Splutter.

Happy to send you a copy of the Luce record. I am sure you will buy one if you can find a copy.

Do you want to DM me via Twitter or something?

I tried to get into Bjork emotionally but the self conscious Artiness keeps getting in the way. For me. I have the same reaction to her partner's visual art. Clever? Sure. Brilliant executed? Absolutely. Anything I want to experience twice? Not really.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Nov 25, 2012, 16:09
spencer wrote:
Ian, I read STOL week on week hoping to find other's heads up for music that I am left in no doubt that I will find indispensible. This happens rarely, but your comments about Fanaras are a case in point. I haven't heard a note, but I am prepared to purchase and know that I will not be disappointed. Thank you. As for Bjork, well, as far as I'm concerned that's her described in a four paragraph nutshell. I don't know where her distinct music comes from, but it is not the heart.

No worries. I hope it stands up. I am going to buy some copies as presents so I can always take it off your hands if you hate it!

As for Bjork there is a lot of great music out there that fans and critics come to call "Art" but I don't think its makers self-consciously set out to make Art Music. It's just what they do. Bjork, Walker and Sylvian (though only recently) seem to be setting out to occupy that Contemporary Art space and I don't think it really works like that. You can't noninate yourself an artist otherwise you end up like Hirst or Emin. An Art Personality not an artist.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Nov 25, 2012, 16:41
Nov 25, 2012, 16:12
Moon Cat wrote:

Christos Fanaras - Impermanence.

I only disagree with Ian in that I think it would sound mega in a cave. But then I think lots of things would!

Yes, you are right it would sounds mega in cave. I was just trying to hint that this isn't some dronetastic mock ancient thing that pretends the 40 plus centuries of music prior to the invention of the Mini Moog didn't happen!
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Nov 25, 2012, 16:18
Nov 25, 2012, 16:18
I quite like Bjork - not a major fan but own a few albums -but I take your point. I personally think she was more 'artistically' successful when she balanced her, for want of a better phrase, 'arty-weirdness' with her pop sensibilty on the early albums. Much as I appreciate the later stuff, the nagging feeling that "I am not pop anymore! I am ART" that permeates the music does impinge, for me, on the feeling I get when listening. That's not to say that I'm of a mind that an artist/band/singer should 'know their place' as such and only operate within certain parameters - far from it.
But when the journey from pop to art feels so pre-meditated, self-conscious and, for all the freedom you'd expect it to confer on the performer in theory, actually a little stiff and rigid, then I think something is sacrificed along the way. I like some of her music, but it's more of a distant admiration than a "FUCK YEAAAAH! response.
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Nov 25, 2012, 16:28
And, what's this Nona Hendryx - Mutatis Mutandis? Is this the singer who worked with Talking Heads all those years ago?
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index