Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 25 November 2012 CE
Nov 25, 2012, 16:32
Kid Calamity wrote:
And, what's this Nona Hendryx - Mutatis Mutandis? Is this the singer who worked with Talking Heads all those years ago?

yes, and primary writer for Labelle
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Nov 25, 2012, 16:43
Led Zep - Celebration Day
Thoroughly enjoyed watching this, but it made me sad (a) that I didn't get tickets and (b) because I'll never see them live.

Snow Palms - Intervals
Beautiful. Xylophones, glocks etc make Phil Glass style stuff that sounds like winter has arrived with lots of snow and twinkley lights.

Mono - For My Parents
Hualan - Asian River, Silver Daydream
Ana Never - Small Years
Snow Mantled Love - Romanace 126
These Hands - Endlessly
A whole batch of sort of post rocky things, with some suprising beauty in amongst. Lots of this was cheap off Bandcamp - go have a listen if you fancy. Hualan and These Hands in particular are very nice.

Astra - The Black Chord
Brian Eno - Lux
Cold Pumas - Persistant Maliase
Pelt - Effigy
Carlton Melton - Photos of Photos (live 12" in particular)
Eat Lights Become Lights - Heavy Electrics

V/A - Forge Your Own Chains (Heavy Psychedelic Ballads and Dirges 1968-1974)
Ace double vinyl from Norman Records sale. Been listening to this all weekend, brilliant!
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Nov 25, 2012, 16:58
you're not entirely wrong on Bjork but Vespertine has a few great tunes (Cocoon, Pagan Poetry, Aurora)
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Nov 25, 2012, 17:27
Who is her partner? Wasn't she involved with Lars Von Trier? Was your splutter an insulted splutter, or just an incredulous, how do you manage to be so stupid, you're so wide of the mark kind of splutter?!!! Do you have an email address? If so you can contact me through my red name if you like (as i note your name isn't similarly coloured). Don't know much about Twitter or direct messaging.

The intellectual palette comment was perhaps a rather crude allusion to the fact that you maybe have a more high brow aesthetic going on than my good self!

Sam
keith a
9574 posts

Nov 25, 2012, 18:15
I've kinda given up on Bjork these days, not intentionally, I just haven't got round to buying anything by her in some time (I think Vespertine was the last I bought by her). But I wouldn't slag her off, because she's trying to do something new, something different which is rare in music these days. I think, therefore, she should be celebrated not dismissed.

As for another comment here re head not heart - well surely that could be said a large percentage of prog? That's what it sounds like to me anyway. I loved Bjork's first two albums though. Hyperballad moves me more than most music TBH.
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Nov 25, 2012, 20:10
Urthona and the Asterism - Murmurations.
Urthona - Amid Devonia's Alps

Emeralds - Just to Feel Anything. This has grown on me since last time I reported. There are drumbeats unlike the previous album and that hid some of the depth and subtlelty for me, at least until I started to listen to it properly! Fans of Michael Rother's first solo albums might like this - at least that's a reference that strikes me from the guitar sounds.

Carlton Melton - Photos of Photos
Vincent Black Shadow - s/t.

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Slomo - The Grain. Marvelous, see Sethman's review.
Haare - The Temple. Likewise, even more intense yet strangely therapeutic

Grails - Deep Politics. 1st play in a while of one of last year's highlights for me. Classy.

Julian Cope - Woden
keith a
9574 posts

Nov 26, 2012, 01:15
Killing Joke - Killing Joke
Not the classic debut, but the 2003 LP, which whilst not as great as the 1st is still a really good shouty noisefest with some great tracks, most notably Blood On Your Hands, a track I played loads this week.

Into My Arms – V/A
Recent Uncut cd. Not much to my liking TBH – Cory Branan sounds like Phil Lynott had he have lived and gone chasing the David Gray market – but there’s a really good number by Thee Oh Says. And though I’m not a fan of Dinosaur Jr their track is pretty good, too.

Also...
If You'll Be Mine (CDS) – Baby Bird
Deadweight EP – Beck
Just Fascination / Crackdown 12” - Cabaret Voltaire
Photos Of Photos – Carlton Melton
Too Drunk To Fuck (single) – Dead Kennedy’s
Dead Magick – Dead Skeletons
Dirt (CDS) - Death In Vegas
The Cedar Room EP – Doves
S/T - Hookworms
Split (single) – Hookworms / Kogumaza
... All These And The Japanese Soup Warriors – Loop Guru
Pure Pleasure Seeker (CDS) – Moloko
Circles – Moon Duo
Hobbies Galore – R Stevie Moore
Woke Up Sticky (E.P.) - Peter Perrett & The One
Parallex Avenue 12” - Slab!
Descension – Slab!
Walk On By EP – The Stranglers
Radiator - Super Furry Animals
Modular Witchcraft EP / Samhain EP – WIKAN

Plus live stuff from The Rolling Stones, The Who and Joy Division

And music on the telly – The Genius Of David Bowie (that classic Jean Genie performance, a Space Oddity at the Ivor Novello Awards that I don’t think I've seen before and a great to hear Hallo Spaceboy with the PSB’s again!), Bowie and The Jam on an old TOTP and the Stones have been everywhere - Rock’n’roll Circus (great version of Sympathy For The Devil!), Crossfire Hurricane and even on the One Show. Don’t think I've ever seen them look so contented! I enjoyed The Joy Of The Single, too.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Nov 26, 2012, 10:37
Nov 26, 2012, 08:40
jb lamptoast-morsley wrote:
Who is her partner? Wasn't she involved with Lars Von Trier? Was your splutter an insulted splutter, or just an incredulous, how do you manage to be so stupid, you're so wide of the mark kind of splutter?!!! Do you have an email address? If so you can contact me through my red name if you like (as i note your name isn't similarly coloured). Don't know much about Twitter or direct messaging.

The intellectual palette comment was perhaps a rather crude allusion to the fact that you maybe have a more high brow aesthetic going on than my good self!

Sam

Totally (happily) amused splutter that anyone would use the word intellectual in relation to my musical taste. I like all sorts of things for all sorts of reasons but I when it comes to music the response is driven by heart and gut not head.

Trying to like something you don't like because a self-styled intellectual thinks it is "important" seems to be a road to listening hell. You need to give anything unfamilar a decent chance (hence my Bjork and Cerys marathon) but not at the expense of all pleasure. Some things take a while to sink in but not liking something is not a fault of the listener.

By the same token listeners shouldn't reject something in advance because our idea of what the music or musician is about doesn't fit our self image - that's the root of all musical snobbery. critic not liking something because he or she thinks that liking that music punctures his or her cool and isn't ironic/camp enough to be a guilty pleasure is another thing all together.

Also artists are on their own road to hell if they make a record a particular way because they think it will sell more or because it is more likely to secure critical approval or posterity. No one could accuse Bjork of playing to the crowd but there may be a bit of playing to the Art media.

Anyway .... Bjork's partner is an artist called Matthew Barney. I think they are still together. I don't get his work at all. I would be more impressed by her being with Matthew Barnaby!
I will e mail you re Luce.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Nov 28, 2012, 18:01
Nov 26, 2012, 09:08
keith a wrote:
I've kinda given up on Bjork these days, not intentionally, I just haven't got round to buying anything by her in some time (I think Vespertine was the last I bought by her). But I wouldn't slag her off, because she's trying to do something new, something different which is rare in music these days. I think, therefore, she should be celebrated not dismissed.

As for another comment here re head not heart - well surely that could be said a large percentage of prog? That's what it sounds like to me anyway. I loved Bjork's first two albums though. Hyperballad moves me more than most music TBH.

She executes what she does really well I just don't feel it.

As Mooncat points out, more succinctly than I could, it is the "I AM ART" thing. It might not be spoken but it entirely implied. It is only a short step away from Jackson's "King of Pop" and Glen Hughes' "Voice of Rock". It's for other people to say and for history to decide.

I am with Bryan Ferry on that one - there is something wrong if people can stretch their sensibilites to embrace the Velvets but their self image wont let them do the same for Lesley Gore. Denying music that you might enjoy because it isn't deemed cool seems like an insane waste of life's limited listening time. No one should be pandering to fans with that little imagination.

What the music makes me feel aside, it's also the Scott Walker issue that bugs me. People like Bjork, Radiohead, Walker and Sylvian borrow an aesthetic from the largely impoverished (in terms of media access and funding) "Contemporary Music" world (which is invisible to most people) and to my mind give bugger all back other than a little reflected glory.

This is not new, artists from Bowie to Madonna have made careers of taking stuff wholesale without giving due credit. Some artists (Bowie/ Zeppelin) make the material into something that is at least as resonant as their sources and takes the music to a completely new place. Most don't.

Say what you like about the Stones but at least they were humble enough to enthuse about their influences and actually give them a leg-up when they could. And not just in the early days either - putting the likes of BB King, Tina Turner, Stevie Wonder, Billy Preston and The Meters in front of 98% white audiences in the 69 to 76 era was no small thing. Who is doing that kind of thing today in terms of people paying homage to their influences? It's all take and no give. Which I suppose is really fucking Post Modern of them in one way at least!

Peter Gabriel would be one who has done the right thing at great personal expense. Blood and Fire was a nice thing while it lasted (and was an enthusiast's hobby rather than paying creative debt). Damon Albarn has done his bit at least on the world music end of things. But all those have a hint of that old school, first world - third world thing about them. I don't see anyone putting out a hand to Eliane Radigue or Pauline Oliveros or say Kevin Volans and making *their* music widely known. Whole labels that are promoiting nothern hemisphere music, with fantastic catalogues like say Atrium come and go with no one really giving a shit.

Anyway .... I really liked three or four Sugarcubes singles ("Birthday" and "Hit" in particular). I liked bits of the first solo album though I can't say there was much enjoyment to be had and her "jazz" album is to my ears a catastrophy. I guess she gets away with it because her fans don't know any other jazz albums. Either that or I am completely wrong and she is a genius and the entire school of 20th Century jazz vocalists were making a mistake concentrating on inconveniences like technique and having that thing of being embedded in the tradition. You need to know the rules in order to bust them open. Otherwise to my mind it is just pretension / affectation, playing musical dress-up.
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Nov 26, 2012, 09:10
Hello Skinny - Hello Skinny

Really enjoying this now after a few repeated plays. Various instruments lead on various tracks, some nice hooks & the drumming is nicely underplayed for a drummer's project.

Rome Pays Off - We Were Wrong -

Lovely ambient, bassy instumentals from Mark Beazley's outfit.

Kosmischeboy - Clockwerk

I think this is fucking awesome. Definite Meat Beat Manifesto influences

Quiddity - Broadening

More KB (with partner gribbles) brilliance, electro-tech-house. The final track, Exurbia is a thing of melancholic beauty.
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index