82 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Re: LZ - Celebration Day
Jan 01, 2013, 15:57
Mr Crowley wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Anybody notice that some of the songs were played a whole tone lower than the recorded versions?
I was just sat playing along on my telecaster (sad innit) and I noticed that stairway is in G (usually in A), Dazed and confused is in F (usually in G) and quite a few of the others are lowered by a whole tone too. However some were in the normal key, whole lotta love for example.

There I was getting all ready to duck walk across the living room to rock n roll wearing my zoso pyjamas, A shape at the ready, but no, it's in bleedin G! Devils work, I tell thee!

This must have meant that pages guitar was tuned down for some of the songs. To accommodate plants voice maybe?

A number of the songs were down-tuned for Plant and his range nowadays. He admits that by Kashmir his voice was going.

Another thing was that Page kept his solos more akin to the studio versions rather than impro versions - again, an age thing I think and probably having not played a live concert since 2000 didn't help also. His broken little pinkie also isn't much in use if you look at the DVD

Ah, makes sense.
The song remains the same sounds particularly unusual played in C, but it was a brilliant performance of it. The way they seemingly lose their way, or are drifting off and only holding it together by a thread, but then suddenly it's all back and tight as a ducks bottom, its bloody fantastic. And I really love Jason Bonhams notes in the booklet.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index