Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Aug 27, 2012, 13:11
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 26 August 2012 CE
Aug 27, 2012, 12:51
Mebusas Blood Brothers
mid 70s african stuff. Funky rocky psychy stuff with a few other influences bunged in.
Not the biggest fan of their attempt at reggae though the caustic laugh that punctuates the song need to be heard.
Guitar fuzz snarls in heaps that sound like piles of something looking at you nasty.
& this is nice when it doesn't get too poppy.
Would love to hear further chinese whispers of the sounds they'reincorporating from elsewhere. Just reminded of Led Zep doing D'Yer Maker which was based on reggae but when fed through LZ became something else that would've been interesting to hear developed inits own right. In a couple of places here the band picks up on what sound like Latin influences but take them somewhere else which would be interesting to hear developed similarly.

Rotomagus THe Sky Turns Red
Interesting French take on '71 heaviosity . The first batch of tracks were a demo of an lp that they never got further financing on. It rocks quite heavily as well as showing some level of complexity that isn't ramalama.
Recommended to those who like protopunk cos it does have some of that level of intensity.

Da Demons Contact High
Scuzzy psychy rock stuff from '09. Bought this cos I missed the limited run of their recent Cardinal Fuzz compi. Good thing I did get to grab this cos it is a great set. You can hear the major influence of 60s psych on it while they're not exactly slavish to it.
Plus there is a great deal of efx noise on this which I'd assume was created on guitar. Gets downright filthy inplaces.
I think the band name may actually be longer but I can never remember it.

Mothers Of Invention Burnt Weeny Sandwich
I think this was supposed to be the more classical of 2 compilations made of the old Mothers almost immediately after they dissolved.
The title was supposed to be from one of Zappa's favourite dishes, he alludes further to the idea of sandwich by placing the songs here between 2 doo-wop covers.
I think this new version sounds a lot more inviting than the old Ryko version, warmer.

Kiss Alive!
been meaning to buy a copy of this for years but never saw it at the right price until this week. Raucous 70s r'n'r, one of their best I think. Garage metal glam.
Still not sure what, if any, of the studio stuff is necessary. But this is their edition of that essential 70s icon, the double live lp. Wretched excess, oh yes, well that and beefy riffs.

Loudest whisper Children of Lir
I couldn't get into this previously but now find it quite listenable.
May have been prompted into listening to it because of the connection with the Corrib Project Tunnel Boring Machine being called Fionnuala after one of the characters of the title, which has brought the legend up in several circumstances recently.
I think this was done as the music for an early 70s stage or tv play.
Has been considered to be a psych folk classic by some for years but I think I found it too stagey. Might get more into it now though.

Gun Club various live sets
People have been torrenting quite a bit of the band(s)over the last few days. That has meant several different line-ups since it has covered 82-93 so far. Band sound changes quite a bit depending on line-ups though I guess there is a great deal of stylistic unity.
I hadn't realised how short Terry Graham's return tenure when he replaced Dee Pop was until I read notes regarding this series of uploads. I had hoped that there was more of him with Jim Duckworth since that was a quite formidable pairing & I tend to find Pop overly frenetic, while Graham's one of my fav drummers.

Tribal Stomp '78 sets by Big Brother & the Holding Co and Country Joe & the Fish.
Both of which were closer to the sound they had 10 years earlier than i'd feared, I think BB&HC was most of the players who'd been in the pre-Janis version though Peter Albin was definitely also playing with Country Joe. BB&HC were fronted at this time by a singer called Kathi McDonald who might be too close to Janis's sound. Nice psychedelic set though.
Country Joe & the Fish were in a line-up pretty much totally different to their heyday, though Peter ALbin did join the 2nd major line-up the one that played Woodstock (I think). This '78 line-up doesn't even feature 'The Fish' since that name was a nickname of Barry Melton the lead guitarist from their heyday.
This band does still make a decent account of itself though.

Sun Ra disco 3000 disc 2
the smaller lineup of the band that toured Italy in '78. Pretty funky throughout and long expansive pieces. This was a reissue of last year's Art Yard 2cd set, may still be some copies around. Worth getting if so.

various other bits & pieces taht will no doubt come back to me later

Walkman still throwing up a lot of unexpected segues European Son into Exile's Happy yesterday. Bits of Buck Owens, Albert Ayler, Charlie Feathers , Fallen Angels, Roberta Flack, Leonard Cohen, live Gun Club etc etc

Reading
Bob Mould See A little Light
This has been vilified by some who say that Mould comes off looking like a self-centred idiot.
I've enjoyed it. Still hoping for back catalogue remasters & expanded reissues but from what he's saying here, not sure how remotely likely that is going to be.

Flapper Joshua Zeitz
interesting read on sociology of jazz-age female hipsters. Does seem to leave out non caucasian influences a great deal though, which it has been criticised for elsewhere.
Stevo
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index