Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 17 June 2012 CE

38 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9573 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 17 June 2012 CE
Jun 18, 2012, 12:09
Tri Repetae++ - Autechre
I hadn’t heard this in some time, but there were times when I was in danger of being overwhelmed when I listened to it.

Rome – Danger Mouse & Daniel Lippi
This is such a seriously great album. It doesn’t exactly over-stay its welcome either (Ian B would approve!). No filler whatsoever. One of the best albums of the past few years AFAIC.

Ghostory - School Of Seven Bells
I was a bit underwhelmed by this at first, but it’s growing on me now. There are two or three especially good tracks though if you didn’t like their other stuff (and for some reason a lot of people don’t!) then it’s unlikely you’d like this one. Sure there’s a strong Cocteau/shoegaze influence, but they do have their own sound now (though one track sounds more like Liz Fraser guesting on a New Order track!)

Nonsuch - XTC
More proof that Andy Partridge wasn't the only talented song-writer in XTC. Colin Moulding was, of course, the man who wrote the classic Making Plans For Nigel, one of my all-time favourite singles, and this is the best track on the Nonsuch album for me. It earns bonus points for including the line "Everyone wants a slice of the jingoistic cake", too!

Also...
Low - David Bowie
Spiral Scratch EP – Buzzcocks
Time's Up – Buzzcocks
Let Love In - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
20 Mothers – Julian Cope
Head First - Goldfrapp
El Rockers - Augustus Pablo
Very / Relentless - Pet Shop Boys
Siren – Roxy Music
Phantom Power - Super Furry Animals
Inside The Ships – Tarwater