38 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Edited Jun 17, 2012, 20:56
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 17 June 2012 CE
Jun 17, 2012, 20:56
Dexys 'One Day I'm Going To Soar' - what could have been a fine album has been spoiled by comically overacted spoken interactions and an overkill on profanity. There's some decent songs here, but a mire of self-obsessed bile as well;

Rumer 'Boys Don't Cry' - inventive collection of covers by one of the best female vocalists I've heard in years;

Caravan 'In The Land Of Grey And Pink' (Deluxe Edition) - well, I had to succumb eventually to this, having only bought the album on two former occasions! There's precious little new on offer here, but Mark Powell's liner notes are good (if a little repetitive) and the 'Beat Club' video is essential viewing for Canterbury heads. I could've well done without Steven Wilson's crap remixes mind: why the hell does he keep cropping up everywhere?

The Monkees 'Head' - short, sweet and well well weird, this sounds fabulous in its recent Rhino vinyl edition;

Bruce Springsteen 'Wrecking Ball' - formula Boss on autopilot...and all the better for it. Looking forward to the Sunderland gig this week;

Frank Zappa 'Lumpy Gravy' - Jeez, and I thought 'Head' was weird;

Pink Floyd 'The Wall' - note to Mr Rowland: here's an object lesson in how to vent your spleen without making a tit of yourself. Mind you, it helps to have the world's greatest guitarist on your side as well.

And that, alongside a selection of Sibelius symphonies conducted by Sir Thomas Beecham and Sir Alexander Gibson, was my gas at a peep. Have a great week, erudite dudes.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index