Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 17, 2012, 11:26
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 17 June 2012 CE
Jun 17, 2012, 08:27
Super Furry Animals - Radiator
Thanks Mooncat, this is the sort of album I would never check out without a prompt. On this record SFA seem to have corralled the handful of things that I really like about Flaming Lips (especially the keyboard sounds)with all the things I find deeply annoying about them taken out. The song writing is still a bit elliptical for my taste but (neither all the way in or all the way out) but I will certainly be exploring up and down their catalogue.

Patty Waters Sings
Patty Waters - College Tour
Norma Winstone - Edge of Time
Joe Harriott & Amancio D'Silva - Hum Dono
Unsung isn't the half of it. For all Norma Winstone's relative obscurity (by which I mean relative even to the more experimental female singers in Rock) at least her name registers with most serious British Jazz listeners via Azimuth or Nucleus or perhaps an ECM release. I am not sure Patty Waters would be on the radar of even the majority of ESP aficionados let alone a wider Jazz public. Both singers come highly recommended for very different reasons. If Winstone was a horn player she would be Arthur Blythe on "Blythe Spirit" or perhaps Eric Dolphy on those Scandinavian recordings. Waters would be somewhere between David Murray of "Interboogieology " and Albert Ayler. She makes most of what passes for the avant garde in Rock sound positively restricted. No matter how far out she goes she never seems to forget that there was a "text", a starting point. Like the equally wonderful Joelle Leandre, Waters is like a trampolinist whose jumps go further and further from the starting point but always come back and refer to home. Winstone's music world is more "other", more like sc-fi in a way. There is no fixed earthly starting point it just is where it is in a universe of its own making. Neither artist does the tiresome make-an-improv-noise-here thing.

Sounds Like Work
Prompted by listening to Patty Waters and the recent ESP thread I had a Google for other 60s Waters recordings that may have leaked out and found this radio show for download. I am only just over half way through but this is a "keeper" I think

http://soundslikework.blogspot.co.uk/

These also got a play ....

Modern Lovers - s/t
Simply Saucer - Cyborgs Revisited
Nervous Eaters - Eaterville #1
The Pop -Go!
Nick Lowe - Jesus of Cool
Television - Live At the Old Waldorf (Live In San Francisco 1978)
Talking Heads - Stay Hungry from MSAB&F
Lydia Lunch - Queen of Siam
Rumer - Boys Don't Cry (Special Edition)
Greenslade - Spyglass Guest
Magma - Félicité Thösz
Rip Rig & Panic - I Am Cold
Heart - Little Queen / Dreamboat Annie / Magazine
Material - Bustin' Out
LKJ In Dub
Aretha - Live At Fillmore West : Don't Fight The Feeling
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index