Pink Floyd - Ummagumma

Popol Vuh - Einsjäger Und Siebenjäger

Cosmic Jokers - Planeten Sit-In
Cosmic Jokers - Gilles Zeitschiff
Cosmic Jokers - Sci Fi Party

Fairport Convention - Liege & Lief

The Beach Boys - Still Cruisin'
The Beach Boys - Summer In Paradise
The Beach Boys - That's Why God Made The Radio (In anticipation of the new Beach Boys album, I nervously revisited their previous two efforts, possibly so that I wouldn't be too disappointed if the latest one isn't up to scratch. Hate to admit this, but some of the tracks on 'Still Cruisin' aren't bad at all, although I'm still on the fence about 'Kokomo' and 'Make It Big' is corporate movie theme fodder at its worst. Then onto 'Summer In Paradise' the most reviled album in their catalogue. Mike Love's most unimaginative lyrics (he rhymes 'Wouldn't it be nice' with 'paradise' 3 times) and pro-tooled within an inch of its life. Awful programmed drumming and sax solos when you least want them. But a Beach Boys album is never going to be entirely useless, and that's because it features The Beach Boys. Just when you've decided a track has no redeeming features, then along comes a sublime bit of harmony singing and you no longer know what to think. Bastards! And it's got Carl Wilson on it. Comparing it with the new one, you really miss Carl's voice in the mix. Thankfully the material is generally much better. Not always top notch - there is a long stretch where the melodies just feel a bit too well-worn and bordering on cheesy, but the title track which I was initially cautiously positive about has bedded in as a right cracker, and the gorgeous closing 3-song suite nods back to side 2 of 'The Beach Boys Today' with its welcome change to melancholic introspection. My main gripe is that Al and Bruce should have been allowed to contribute to the song-writing, rather than have the new Wilson/Love compositions mediated through an outsider (who exactly is this Joe Thomas and how did he gain such a creative foothold?). And what is it with the frequent use of auto tune on this album? It's relatively subtle, but it bugs me more with each listen. Still, it is quite something to have a bona fide new Beach Boys album after 20 years of bad-feeling, and an incredible 50 years after their debut.

Flo & Eddie - Moving Targets

Emerson Lake & Palmer - From The Beginning (Disc 2)

The Kinks - Face To Face (Put this on because it was a rainy day in June, but by the time it got to that track the sun had come out).

Pram - The Stars Are So Big, The Earth Is So Small...Stay As You Are (Haven't listened to Pram in years. Still find them quite intoxicating).
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index