27 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 10 June 2012 CE
Jun 10, 2012, 16:03
John Cale 1978-03-09 Phase III, Pittsburgh, PA
Roughly Sabotage era Live set from the welsh ex-VUster. Some great guitar and punchy rhythms.
The guitar on a lot of this era's stuff heads in a twin guitar direction somewhat similar to Television but I haven't heard that kick in here so far. But he does sound like a great punk contemporary if he doesn't quite fit the year zero credentials.

Area crac!
intense jazz/funk/prog from Italian left leaning group with the incredible vocals of Demetrios Stratos as an important factor.
I've wondered if the band sub-title International Popular band had any influence on Bristol's Pop Group's naming which itself seemed situationist.
Anyway, glad to finally have the remastered versions of the first 3 of their lps. Do think these records are pretty necessary.

Nyl s/t
Italian reissue of French 1976 acidic guitar dominated lp. Reminiscent of acid rock but feel is a little different. Muscular abss might be a factor in this.
I think there are more instrumental tracks than vocal ones. Vocals tend to be pretty gruff on the lyric-ed stuff. Otherwise there are a couple of tracks that have voices doing wordless stuff reminding me of a cross between Magma and Focus.
can be bought from here
http://www.psychupmelodies.com/?p=musicians
and the guy behind the label also sells through discogs.
Seems to be a very small label so far, only having reissued 2 titles by variations on this band. Nyl & a predecessor Cheval fou. They've also put out one record by the label owners band Sistra.
soundbites for each can be found on that site.

Edzayawa Projection One
mid 70s african psych lp. Think this is growing on me but it wasn't as immediate as Hedzolleh.

Incredible String band live reunion set from '02
Had this on partly last night and partly this morning and I don't think I realised that it wasn't from the original band era. Does feature some jazz piano stuff that had me wondering who it was when it first came on.

various other bits & pieces that will come back to me no doubt.
Walkman still throwing up a lot of stuff in new context including quite a bit I noticed I haven't heard through it before. But 350 hours or whatever will give you that for ages. This player does still seem to pick an lp to keep returning to for tracks each session. different one every session. has been Buddy Holly, Bee Gees 1st, and a couple of others over the last week.

Watching

Prometheus
went and saw it in 3d which made for a good visual experience.
Plot has several holes but was an enjoyable film anyway.
People have suggested that edits made before release have removed some of the sense. Stoner scientists acting stupid because stoned for one thing.
Timelines get somewhat confusing. etc etc.
But worth a watch

Star Trek
the reboot movie from a couple of years back, somewhat fun. There's another one due with Benedict Cumberbatch as one of the baddies I think.

otherwise the course section of my course ended on Friday so I no longer need to wake up at 6.30 every day to get in there. Other part has a later start. So I might stop feeling tired all the time.

Stevo
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index