Miles Davis - Miles In The Sky

The Woolies - Ride Ride Ride

The Beach Boys - That's Why God Made The Radio

The Impacts - WIPE OUT !

Jerry Goldsmith - Escape From The Planet Of The Apes OMPS

Françoise Hardy - En Anglais

Johnny Winter - Livin' In The Blues

Paul & Linda McCartney - RAM (mono)

Ray Charles - Singular Genius (discs 2-5 of 5)

Hawkwind - Parallel Universe

Charles Mingus - Mingus Moves
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Edited Jun 10, 2012, 03:49
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 10 June 2012 CE
Jun 10, 2012, 03:43
Albums

Smoke Fairies - Blood Speaks
Wovenhand - Live at Roepaen (if you haven't heard this, why not?)
WIKAN - MONOLITHS EP (does the talent of this 'ere parish never end?)
Alt-J - An Awesome Wave (really grown on me)
Public Service Broadcasting - War Room EP
Catherine Ribeiro + Alpes - Ame Debout
Catherine Ribeiro + Alpes - Paix (stone cold classic imho)
Black Sabbath - Iron Man: The Best Of (all Ozzy, all the ones you'd expect)
Sylvester Anfang II - Sylvester Anfang II (new to me but lovin' it)
Sylvester Anfang II - Untitled
Cargo - Cargo
The Hives - Lex Hives
VA - Finders Keepers: Covers (another cracking download only comp)
Motion Sickness Of Time Travel - Motion Sickness Of Time Travel
VA - Istanbul 70 - Psych Disco Folk Edits by Baris K - VOL. I, II & III
Witch Mountain - South of Salem
The Pond - The Pond
Bo Hansson - Mellanväsen (I've always known this as Attic Thoughts. Very special to me)

Tracks

Goat - Goatman / The Sun The Moon
Los Colorados - I Like to Move It / Du Hast
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 10, 2012, 10:39
Jun 10, 2012, 07:25
Rumer - Boys Don't Cry (Special Edition)
What's this TV advertised major label BRIT-fodder doing here you might ask? Well. I liked the sound of her last record, the tunes were strong and her voice has enough Carpenter / Joni silk and Bonnie Raitt / Ann Peebles grit in it to keep things interesting but over time the lyrics were a bit of a let down. However, like the great divas of yore, she is a fantastic interpreter of other people's songs as is proven on this new all-covers album. The song choices are brilliant and unlikely (Townes, Ronnie Lane, Terry Reid etc), the production is close and personal and, like the best Dusty records, the playing offers the perfect frame without being MOR-bland. If you have a soft spot for Karen Carpenter, Jimmy Webb or "Dusty In Memphis" then you really should own this. Might even be my record of the year come December.

This week's story about the value of recorded music relative to its historical retail cost

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/permalink/2012/120606value#ilQg9YtZDmqNZwDbS5yrHA

had me going back to some old bargains ....

VDGG - 68-71
Young Persons Guide To King Crimson
Genesis - Live
History of Fairport Convention
Four budget vinyl purchases from my early-mid teens in 74/76 ish. Nothing from "Pawn Hearts" on the VdGG record and no "21st Century Schizoid Man" on the Crimson. In terms of sounding the least of its time it is probably the very oddness of the Van der Graaf compilation that means it fares best of the four after 36 years though going straight from this to "World Record" was a confusing jump in 1976. The Crimson was far and away the best package which went a long way towards drawing me into the world of Fripp and setting the stage for "Exposure" a couple of years later. Genesis "Live" is a horrible sounding artefact, absolutely bereft of subtlety and is a bit of a mess in every way though at the time it felt like £1.99 (the equivalent of £13.50 today) well spent. The performances are no where near as good as the music on the Sheperton film or the Rainbow recording from the SEBTP era. Or the Bruford-era bootlegs for that matter.The Fairports record was a huge influence on me at the time but, with the benefit of hindsight and greater familiarily with the source albums, some of the song choices seem beyond bizarre. Still, it got me into English traditional music in a big way and if I had never heard Swarb and Thompson dueling it out on this then I probably wouldn't have got into "Marquee Moon".

Chris Robinson Brotherhood - Big Moon Ritual
Speaking of budget I am not sure if the pricing of this (under a fiver) is a mistake or a piece of marketing. Either way this is the first studio recording from CR's new country-psych-soul-ish combo. The influence of CR's many guest appearances with Phil Lesh is easy to spot. The songs are long and never really get to a point but it is much better than the live recordings that have filtered out over the last year might have suggested. The individual band members don't really have an identity yet (at least not on record) and it is kind of hard to listen to this without thinking "what would Rich be playing right now?" but there is a lot here for for lovers of "American Beauty" / "Workingman's Dead" / "Live In Europe" era GD or the last Robert Plant band and album. If your tastes swing that way or if you liked either the Crowes unplugged best of record from last year or the one recorded at Levon Helm's the year before then there are very many worse ways of spending a £4.49. All it lacks is the Crowes two-pronged guitar lift-off and a memorable chorus or two.

Leno clip here

http://theaudioperv.com/2012/06/06/chris-robinson-brotherhood-rosalee-65-leno/

Gil Shaham & Goran Sollscher - Paganini For Two
Alban Berg Quartett - The Late Beethoven String Quartets
Bezerkley Chartbusters Vol 1
machineryelf
3681 posts

Jun 10, 2012, 07:46
Springsteen - Wrecking Ball found this a bit ho-hum another day another Springsteen CD, but it's really grown on me, manages to avoid having any really clunky tunes and has some big hooks in there, best thing since The Rising , it's not breaking any new ground and if you don't like Springsteen it won't convert you but if you've heard it and given up,try again

Patti Smith - Banga this is really good, funnily enough the first few tracks reminded me of The Mission & The Stranglers, a nice 80s plays 60s feel, but with better lyrics, all in all whilst it ain't Horses it is far better than you would expect from a pensioner

Squakett - thanks Seb for pointing this out, whilst the prospect of a Chris Squire Steve Hackett might appeal to some the final result is something that sounds as if they thought hmmmmmmmm Duke sold 10 billion copies, Asia sold a shedload, lets appeal to the smooth 80s prog market, maybe we can corner the watered down power ballads fans they must be at a loose end these days, complete tosh. Anyone remember that episode of Saxon where he goes back to the house of the big busty prog fan and then she pulls out a copies of all the wrong cds, she would love this
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Jun 10, 2012, 16:19
Jun 10, 2012, 15:52
Smoke Fairies - Blood Speaks. They've slightly upped the 'rock' on a couple of tracks - there's a new drummer laying down some extra heaviness in parts - but I've been caning this all week and really got into it. What they do I just really, really like a lot. Huzzah for the wuvly fairies!

Sex Pistols - Nevermind the Bollocks. Heavy metal band employ punk singer to explosive effect hee hee hee.

Crumbling Ghost - ST
Arafel - For Battles Once Fought.
Diabolic - Vegeance Ascending
Acid Mothers Temple - Ripper at the Heaven's Gate of Dark.
Duke Ellingon - Far East Suite.
Hedvig Mollestad Trio - Shoot
Stonephace - st

Ultrasound - Everything Picture (2cd versh). Can't remember when I last played this ambitious slice of neo-prog made back in the day before you were allowed to say things like neo-prog. Enjoyed it (again) especially the 22 minute freakout on the last track (on the extra cd). Seem to remember they got quite good press at the time - what happened?
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jun 10, 2012, 16:03
John Cale 1978-03-09 Phase III, Pittsburgh, PA
Roughly Sabotage era Live set from the welsh ex-VUster. Some great guitar and punchy rhythms.
The guitar on a lot of this era's stuff heads in a twin guitar direction somewhat similar to Television but I haven't heard that kick in here so far. But he does sound like a great punk contemporary if he doesn't quite fit the year zero credentials.

Area crac!
intense jazz/funk/prog from Italian left leaning group with the incredible vocals of Demetrios Stratos as an important factor.
I've wondered if the band sub-title International Popular band had any influence on Bristol's Pop Group's naming which itself seemed situationist.
Anyway, glad to finally have the remastered versions of the first 3 of their lps. Do think these records are pretty necessary.

Nyl s/t
Italian reissue of French 1976 acidic guitar dominated lp. Reminiscent of acid rock but feel is a little different. Muscular abss might be a factor in this.
I think there are more instrumental tracks than vocal ones. Vocals tend to be pretty gruff on the lyric-ed stuff. Otherwise there are a couple of tracks that have voices doing wordless stuff reminding me of a cross between Magma and Focus.
can be bought from here
http://www.psychupmelodies.com/?p=musicians
and the guy behind the label also sells through discogs.
Seems to be a very small label so far, only having reissued 2 titles by variations on this band. Nyl & a predecessor Cheval fou. They've also put out one record by the label owners band Sistra.
soundbites for each can be found on that site.

Edzayawa Projection One
mid 70s african psych lp. Think this is growing on me but it wasn't as immediate as Hedzolleh.

Incredible String band live reunion set from '02
Had this on partly last night and partly this morning and I don't think I realised that it wasn't from the original band era. Does feature some jazz piano stuff that had me wondering who it was when it first came on.

various other bits & pieces that will come back to me no doubt.
Walkman still throwing up a lot of stuff in new context including quite a bit I noticed I haven't heard through it before. But 350 hours or whatever will give you that for ages. This player does still seem to pick an lp to keep returning to for tracks each session. different one every session. has been Buddy Holly, Bee Gees 1st, and a couple of others over the last week.

Watching

Prometheus
went and saw it in 3d which made for a good visual experience.
Plot has several holes but was an enjoyable film anyway.
People have suggested that edits made before release have removed some of the sense. Stoner scientists acting stupid because stoned for one thing.
Timelines get somewhat confusing. etc etc.
But worth a watch

Star Trek
the reboot movie from a couple of years back, somewhat fun. There's another one due with Benedict Cumberbatch as one of the baddies I think.

otherwise the course section of my course ended on Friday so I no longer need to wake up at 6.30 every day to get in there. Other part has a later start. So I might stop feeling tired all the time.

Stevo
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jun 10, 2012, 16:17
IanB wrote:

Chris Robinson Brotherhood - Big Moon Ritual
Speaking of budget I am not sure if the pricing of this (under a fiver) is a mistake or a piece of marketing. Either way this is the first studio recording from CR's new country-psych-soul-ish combo. The influence of CR's many guest appearances with Phil Lesh is easy to spot. The songs are long and never really get to a point but it is much better than the live recordings that have filtered out over the last year might have suggested. The individual band members don't really have an identity yet (at least not on record) and it is kind of hard to listen to this without thinking "what would Rich be playing right now?" but there is a lot here for for lovers of "American Beauty" / "Workingman's Dead" / "Live In Europe" era GD or the last Robert Plant band and album. If your tastes swing that way or if you liked either the Crowes unplugged best of record from last year or the one recorded at Levon Helm's the year before then there are very many worse ways of spending a £4.49. All it lacks is the Crowes two-pronged guitar lift-off and a memorable chorus or two.

Ooh! Bargain. Might check that out next week!
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Jun 10, 2012, 16:22
Nathanial Mayer - Why Don't You Give it to Me: a Cope album of the month from a few years back. Detroit soul/rock featuring Mayer's wonderful voice.

Julian Cope - Psychedelic Revolution and Black Sheep

Rrreverberationsss - Music for Psychedelic People. A half hour lo-fi/handmade Austin psych, not essential I suppose but a grower nonetheless.

Sugar - Beaster.

Locrian and Mamiffer - Bless those that Curse You. Drone/ambient collaboration, though it's not all droney and not really ambient. Difficult to describe. A collection of atmospheric pieces featuring synths, electronics, minimalist piano, occasional acoustic guitar, mellotron and tympani - mixed by Randall Dunn of Master Musicians of Bukkake (plus SunnO))), Grails etc). My only complaint is the end of the album, the final bit of the last track, where there are some black metal growly vocals which just feel unnecessary to me (I suppose it's meant to contrast with the beautiful female vocals that start the track but I'd rather it finished with the atmospheric middle section). Can't have it all! The cd is v nice too with excellent photography and art by the female singer.

To Blacken the Pages - A Semblance of Something Appertaining to Destruction. I've owned and loved this for a few years now but been listening to it more than ever recently, Trek Out is sublime.

Motion Sickness of Time Travel - s/t. Thanks to Sin Agog for posting a link to this. A double album 4 track ambient/drone epic. Beautiful and works well at home or on the commute (although unusually it's longer than my commute!).

Gala Drop/Ben Chasny - Broda. Mentioned in June's Drudion. I have to buy anything that Chasny's involved with but this is likely to turn into a particular fave. After the acoustic playing on Asleep on the Floodplain and the 200 Years records it's great to hear him shredding the electric guitar again - the interplay with the synths underpinned by multiple percussion and repetitive bass lines make this. Check it out at bandcamp here, in particular the last track Brain where guitar and synths just soar and soar!

http://galadrop.bandcamp.com/album/broda
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Jun 10, 2012, 16:24
A Bill Bryson Audiobook - A brief History of almost everything.

Bill often reads his own stuff. He has a fine voice. Melodic and nuánced. This audiobook is really a history of science. Brilliant stuff. I will listen to it again some time in the future.

Also currently listening to another audiobook. This one is called "The World Without Us" by Alan Weisman. I've read the hardback, but that was a couple of years ago so it's good to go through it again.

It's basically a thought experiment. What would happen if humankind was to suddenly vanish from the planet? What would happen to the cities? To the atmosphere? To the animals and plants we left behind? To the plastics and toxins and pollutants we've added? And what would be our most enduring legacies?

All good cerebral stuff as I'm driving from one lesson to the next.
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Jun 10, 2012, 17:02
Bill Nelson: Practice of Everyday Life 8CD set

been giving this some time
loved BeBop alot, then moved on
followed some of his projects through the 80's as they became tougher and tougher to find in the US
The vocals become very Bowiesquese,
and the instrumentals have an Eno patina
but he wraps it in his own vision
there is some very enjoyable stuff here
but there also seems to be a creeping
sameness/low energy polite ambientness
I am about half way through, and there is a lot to digest
I really enjoy the instrumentals, the vocal tracks are hit and miss
I'll followm up after more fully living and digesting this set.

John Cale Vintage Violence
Better than any pop put out by any solo Beatles in the 70's
and better than anything the Beach Boys did in the 70's
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index