Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 10 June 2012 CE

27 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 10 June 2012 CE
Jun 10, 2012, 16:22
Nathanial Mayer - Why Don't You Give it to Me: a Cope album of the month from a few years back. Detroit soul/rock featuring Mayer's wonderful voice.

Julian Cope - Psychedelic Revolution and Black Sheep

Rrreverberationsss - Music for Psychedelic People. A half hour lo-fi/handmade Austin psych, not essential I suppose but a grower nonetheless.

Sugar - Beaster.

Locrian and Mamiffer - Bless those that Curse You. Drone/ambient collaboration, though it's not all droney and not really ambient. Difficult to describe. A collection of atmospheric pieces featuring synths, electronics, minimalist piano, occasional acoustic guitar, mellotron and tympani - mixed by Randall Dunn of Master Musicians of Bukkake (plus SunnO))), Grails etc). My only complaint is the end of the album, the final bit of the last track, where there are some black metal growly vocals which just feel unnecessary to me (I suppose it's meant to contrast with the beautiful female vocals that start the track but I'd rather it finished with the atmospheric middle section). Can't have it all! The cd is v nice too with excellent photography and art by the female singer.

To Blacken the Pages - A Semblance of Something Appertaining to Destruction. I've owned and loved this for a few years now but been listening to it more than ever recently, Trek Out is sublime.

Motion Sickness of Time Travel - s/t. Thanks to Sin Agog for posting a link to this. A double album 4 track ambient/drone epic. Beautiful and works well at home or on the commute (although unusually it's longer than my commute!).

Gala Drop/Ben Chasny - Broda. Mentioned in June's Drudion. I have to buy anything that Chasny's involved with but this is likely to turn into a particular fave. After the acoustic playing on Asleep on the Floodplain and the 200 Years records it's great to hear him shredding the electric guitar again - the interplay with the synths underpinned by multiple percussion and repetitive bass lines make this. Check it out at bandcamp here, in particular the last track Brain where guitar and synths just soar and soar!

http://galadrop.bandcamp.com/album/broda
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index