Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Edited Jun 12, 2012, 15:42
Re: Music You Just Can't GET
Jun 12, 2012, 15:39
Moon Cat wrote:
Astralcat wrote:

I don't know what's going on anymore. Yesterday, in retropsepct, I may have been a bit tetchy due to chronic toothache and a shite day at work (my impacted wisdom tooth is holding a festival in my jaw) and being dosed up to the gills on co-dydramol and being very tired and jazzmotional due to lack of a previous nights sleep doesn't help either.

It's only marginally better today. Not in the best frame of mind right now.

Speaking for myself dude I hope you don't go, flounce whatever....

Thing is, what I personally find a bit difficult to square sometimes is the notion of your good self as a kaftan-wearing, chakra-juggling, crystal nibbling, ley lining, incense sniffing hippy fellow, supposedly a purveyor of posi-vibes and melloness, that somehow always seems at their most animated and energetic when pretty much slagging every thing off in the cosmos. It kinda dilutes the good vibes, such as they may be, when one is faced with a 50 NEGAton blow-out of Victor Meldrewisms when the person concerned presents the world with a rainbow-hued peacenik aura, if you see what I mean?

I personally, and for good reason, have a problem with possible 'bitter hippies' and I shall tell you why. One Glastonbury, many moons ago, we were camping next to a friendly enough bunch one of whom had clearly just passed his "Hippie 101" and was very keen to show his credentials. So, this fellow was Chakra Chief, Crystal gazer, good vibes, Up the Tor, smoke me Kaftan incarnate. But, when he'd had a few drinks, the facade dropped and he was the moaningest, slag-offiest, conservative (with a small C), bitter cos the world wasn't like he wanted it, small minded fuck in Avalon. And it was worse cos he hid all this under the tye-dye bonhomie that was his armour and disguise. If he'd just been a moaning cunt, that woulda been better. But to spew buckets of bile relentlessly at everyone and everything and then suggest a group hug and bongo sesh after was the pits. So I'm understanably wary of these things.
His name was Steve by the way, if you wish to avoid 8^)

That's what I've been trying to say all along - it's intended to be just good natured tongue in cheek banter, and the Victor Meldrewisms especially! I'm a fully paid up hippy and proud and I caricature myself for a laugh as well. I thought that was obvious (by the way, my cosmic credentials are entirely genuine and I do hug ley lines and collect crystals). Anyway, I'm bigger than Jesus. So there.

Vibe-a-com.
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Jun 12, 2012, 15:40
keith a wrote:
As I unwittingly gave you a lead into that advertisement AND bigged them up for you, I'm wondering if I'm entitled to a percentage?

Emoticon.

Oi, Mr Ten Percent, you're entitled to a percentage of a big fat f*ck all! Angry emoticon. Grrr! Etc.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jun 12, 2012, 15:50
Astralcat wrote:
Anyway, I'm bigger than Jesus. So there.

They were shorter in those days though.
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Edited Jun 12, 2012, 15:54
Jun 12, 2012, 15:53
Moon Cat wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
Anyway, I'm bigger than Jesus. So there.

They were shorter in those days though.

Not him. He was a big bugger. From Texas, so technically speaking I'm not bigger than him. OK!?! (red faced mushroom cloud). Where's my fucking peppermints! GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY YURT YOU SLAGS!!!

Anyone for a spot of Donovan ?

_/\_
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Jun 12, 2012, 15:56
Astralcat wrote:
GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY YURT YOU SLAGS!!!

That's gotta be the title of your album, when you get your arse into gear and write a few songs, then play them, then do a few gigs then do a few demos in a studio then get a band together then do a few more gigs then get popular then do some proper recording then put and an album out.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jun 12, 2012, 16:03
Just thought. "The Emoticunts" would be a top name for a band.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Jun 12, 2012, 16:05
Popel Vooje wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:
Toni Torino wrote:
You really mean music you hate don't you?

Musice I can't get is avant-garde stuff and arrythmic stuff. My brain can't seem to process it. I don't hate them though, they don't bring out that strong an emotion in me.

Likewise I can't 'hate' Coldplay for example. It's like hating cardboard or something - it's just there and I'm not worked up about it one way or the other. Fair play to people that like 'em. They've just done a couple of nights at the City stadium up the road. Granted, a lot of the people streaming past my pod looked a bit like they buy two albums a year but so what really? I expect most of 'em had a good time. Good luck to 'em!

I remember once making a similar observation on here about how lambasting Coldplay seemed akin to lambasting fruit salad. They just don't stir any reaction in me at all (which some might argue is actually WORSE than being actively irritated by a band's music, mind...). I'll admit my hackles started to rise a little when I read about the singer and his film star missus being pals of the Camerons, though.

Wasn't that a Grauniad April Fool's gag?
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jun 12, 2012, 16:07
IanB wrote:
Popel Vooje wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:
Toni Torino wrote:
You really mean music you hate don't you?

Musice I can't get is avant-garde stuff and arrythmic stuff. My brain can't seem to process it. I don't hate them though, they don't bring out that strong an emotion in me.

Likewise I can't 'hate' Coldplay for example. It's like hating cardboard or something - it's just there and I'm not worked up about it one way or the other. Fair play to people that like 'em. They've just done a couple of nights at the City stadium up the road. Granted, a lot of the people streaming past my pod looked a bit like they buy two albums a year but so what really? I expect most of 'em had a good time. Good luck to 'em!

I remember once making a similar observation on here about how lambasting Coldplay seemed akin to lambasting fruit salad. They just don't stir any reaction in me at all (which some might argue is actually WORSE than being actively irritated by a band's music, mind...). I'll admit my hackles started to rise a little when I read about the singer and his film star missus being pals of the Camerons, though.

Wasn't that a Grauniad April Fool's gag?

They were friends until Dave left Gwyneth in a pub.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Jun 12, 2012, 16:23
Jun 12, 2012, 16:22
Toni Torino wrote:
keith a wrote:
Apparently they were brilliant in Manchester last night.

Can't make tonight in Camden... if someone wants my e-ticket I can email it to them.

I'd take you up on that if I wasn't already going to see Liars. Which gets me thinking ... what would an impromptu collaboration between those two be like? Angus Andrew strikes me as one of the few vocalists who probably would be capable of shouting loudly enough to be heard above Sunn)))0.
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Jun 12, 2012, 17:05
Astralcat wrote:
Toni Torino wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
Toni Torino wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
Well, it's not sour power, just pub table style banter, as well you know - good humoured banter,

Really? I thought it just was a chance for you to shoot fish in a barrel. I now know how much you despise Gary Barlow. That Michael Ball makes me want to embalm myself you know! :-)

Astralcat wrote:
but anyway, I shall not be posting again.

Oh lordy, why do flouncers always announce they're flouncing? See you soon no doubt. :-)

Astralcat wrote:
I'm a free surfing forward thinking mofo, you see.

Such Is Life.

Om Shanti :-)

Again, really? :-) I've always thought you were a person with one of the most reactionary
outlooks that posted on here :-)

Reactionary ??? I fail to see that. It's very hard to convey humour, and as for fish in a barrell, it's about having a laugh. There's only so many references to Scandinavian Death Metal that a fellow can take. I've been accussed of being po-faced, ha ha!..when there are so many other more worthy examples of po-facedness on this forum! :-)

Hahahahaha, well hello again Zebedee! :-) I do think you're quite reactionary, and I'm not coming from any position of strength myself. :-) Your patented Acme tut-tut-o-matic setting is quite high, I feel. :-). But this is the internet so I have no real sense of irony in your postings. :-)

Toni, you are quite wrong but that's your assessment of me so fair enough. I am reponding good naturedly, and not 'reacting'. :-)

You are responding with very good nature. :-) I didn't mean that type of reactionary, I meant in the more conservative, traditionalist. political sense of the word. Or perhaps you're proving a point about it being hard to convey humour. :-)
Pages: 19 – [ Previous | 114 15 16 17 18 19 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index