Re: Music You Just Can't GET
Jun 12, 2012, 11:41
shit
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Jun 12, 2012, 11:42
...and you can give me back my sequined rollerskates as well....
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Jun 12, 2012, 11:44
You can blummin' have the stupid things. They're for girls, anyway.
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Jun 12, 2012, 11:47
For blummin things for girls anyway, you spend an inordinate amount of time in them, doing pirouettes and flamingo impressions to Charlie Mingus. You can't fool me..
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Jun 12, 2012, 14:34
Moon Cat wrote:
Pursued By Trees wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
The Clash don't do anything for me (funnily enough I'm warming more and more to punk courtesy of the current shennanigans - I heard some Damned on the airwaves - great stuff! Far better than the Sex Pistols/Clash).

Imho, it's only really Brian James era Damned that's musically very punk. If you think in terms of punk as an attitude rather than a musical style then The Damned are a punk band. I tend to think of them more in terms of producing intelligent pop music ... which is quite an anarchic thing to be doing anyhow.

I concur!

Yeah, I'd go with that too - although I'll admit they lost me with their mid-80s goth phase. Even in the days when they were a punk band, they were always less pompous and earnest than the likes of the Clash - Captain Sensible admitted to once having thrown stink bombs at the Clash whilst they were playing because "they looked so po-faced and serious - I decided they needed taking down a peg or two").
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Jun 12, 2012, 14:39
Moon Cat wrote:
Toni Torino wrote:
You really mean music you hate don't you?

Musice I can't get is avant-garde stuff and arrythmic stuff. My brain can't seem to process it. I don't hate them though, they don't bring out that strong an emotion in me.

Likewise I can't 'hate' Coldplay for example. It's like hating cardboard or something - it's just there and I'm not worked up about it one way or the other. Fair play to people that like 'em. They've just done a couple of nights at the City stadium up the road. Granted, a lot of the people streaming past my pod looked a bit like they buy two albums a year but so what really? I expect most of 'em had a good time. Good luck to 'em!

I remember once making a similar observation on here about how lambasting Coldplay seemed akin to lambasting fruit salad. They just don't stir any reaction in me at all (which some might argue is actually WORSE than being actively irritated by a band's music, mind...). I'll admit my hackles started to rise a little when I read about the singer and his film star missus being pals of the Camerons, though.
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Jun 12, 2012, 14:42
When the Damned start dabbling with Psyche from their third album things got very interesting indeed. I saw them play some great sets. That 'Strawberries' album was fantastic. But, yes. When they got into that more commercial faux goth nonsense they lost me. A friend keeps on at me to tag along to see them whenever they tour - and I've just heard reports that they were really good at a nearby festival, recently. Maybe, it's time to dip into the dark.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Jun 12, 2012, 14:43
Moon Cat wrote:

Well put and I agree with all of that.

The talking at gigs thing though - kin ell, that's just getting ridiculous. That IS something worth getting in a lather about.

mmmm.. lather.

Well, the obvious solution is to play so loud that people have no choice but to either listen or go to the bar - although I'll admit that that might not be a workable option if you're the Cowboy Junkies.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Jun 12, 2012, 14:49
Astralcat wrote:
Toni Torino wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
Well, it's not sour power, just pub table style banter, as well you know - good humoured banter,

Really? I thought it just was a chance for you to shoot fish in a barrel. I now know how much you despise Gary Barlow. That Michael Ball makes me want to embalm myself you know! :-)

Astralcat wrote:
but anyway, I shall not be posting again.

Oh lordy, why do flouncers always announce they're flouncing? See you soon no doubt. :-)

Astralcat wrote:
I'm a free surfing forward thinking mofo, you see.

Such Is Life.

Om Shanti :-)

Again, really? :-) I've always thought you were a person with one of the most reactionary
outlooks that posted on here :-)

Reactionary ??? I fail to see that. It's very hard to convey humour, and as for fish in a barrell, it's about having a laugh. There's only so many references to Scandinavian Death Metal that a fellow can take. I've been accussed of being po-faced, ha ha!..when there are so many other more worthy examples of po-facedness on this forum! :-)

Well my reading of the situation is no more provable than yours, but I got the impression Mr Torino himself was being ironic with that last comment? Perhaps he'd like to explain himself in my office at 3.45.

And in case any of the moderators read this, no I'm not implying that I think emoticons should be introduced on HH.
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Jun 12, 2012, 14:55
Moderators?!! Read this?!!?
Pages: 19 – [ Previous | 114 15 16 17 18 19 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index