Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Re: Which Kiss albums?
Apr 20, 2012, 10:09
keith a wrote:
IanB wrote:
keith a wrote:
IanB wrote:

To my ear anyone trying to find some critical daylight between the Chuck Berry, MC5, The Dolls, Pistols and Kiss are kind of missing the point of what this music is for.

Surely Kiss have got more in common with Mike & Bernie Winters than any of those acts listed there?

It's all dumb-ass party music. Kiss do it best.

Maybe they do in your opinion, Ian. But there's far more to the others you mentioned than that. Chuck Berry's clever, storytelling lyrics are far from dumb ass, the MC5 and the Pistols have, whether you or anyone else likes them or not, had a social and political resonance that Kiss haven't ever had so, for me at least, the critical daylight between these three and Kiss is actually quite blinding.

Maybe you have a point with the Dolls, but even there there is an outsider, dangerous aspect that is worlds apart from Kiss. But I accept that some of the Dolls stuff could be described as 'dumb ass' - Dance Like A Monkey from the re-formed version immediately comes to mind - but it's got a swagger, a looseness and power that Kiss could only dream about.

In my opinion of course!

Don't want to worry you Keith, but I felt much the same as you about Kiss a couple of years back. As I've got older and dumber, I've grown to like them.
keith a
9573 posts

Edited Apr 20, 2012, 10:19
Apr 20, 2012, 10:13
Squid Tempest wrote:
I've decided to spend it on Morrisey CDs to burn instead.

Of course another good reason for this would be to at least put the money in the hands of man who is a committed vegetarian, one who takes every opportunity to highlight any abuse of animals, rather than to a band who insist that viewers of their official channel on youtube have to watch a MacDonalds advert before they get to hear one of their tunes.

Edit: Just tried another and that was Weetabix first so it's not just MacDonalds
keith a
9573 posts

Apr 20, 2012, 10:17
Squid Tempest wrote:
keith a wrote:
IanB wrote:
keith a wrote:
IanB wrote:

To my ear anyone trying to find some critical daylight between the Chuck Berry, MC5, The Dolls, Pistols and Kiss are kind of missing the point of what this music is for.

Surely Kiss have got more in common with Mike & Bernie Winters than any of those acts listed there?

Maybe they do in your opinion, Ian. But there's far more to the others you mentioned than that. Chuck Berry's clever, storytelling lyrics are far from dumb ass, the MC5 and the Pistols have, whether you or anyone else likes them or not, had a social and political resonance that Kiss haven't ever had so, for me at least, the critical daylight between these three and Kiss is actually quite blinding.

Maybe you have a point with the Dolls, but even there there is an outsider, dangerous aspect that is worlds apart from Kiss. But I accept that some of the Dolls stuff could be described as 'dumb ass' - Dance Like A Monkey from the re-formed version immediately comes to mind - but it's got a swagger, a looseness and power that Kiss could only dream about.

In my opinion of course!

Don't want to worry you Keith, but I felt much the same as you about Kiss a couple of years back. As I've got older and dumber, I've grown to like them.

But that's even worse, Squid!!

I can understand people who liked them when they were 16 feeling all warm and cuddly about them for nostalgic reasons. But not getting into them now - especially when you like some really interesting stuff.

You're being brainwashed by people here, man!!

I'm just trying to look out for ya! ; )
machineryelf
3681 posts

Apr 20, 2012, 10:21
Spaceship mark wrote:
Peter Criss on a stool?

Art imitating life, or life imitating art
machineryelf
3681 posts

Apr 20, 2012, 10:44
IanB wrote:
paradox wrote:
Me too!............Enjoy!

I actually played Hotter Than Hell earlier after all the talk on here...

Loved every dumb second.

... and that's exactly what it's for so why do they attract the snobbery?

I sometimes wonder if some of the HH readership think Cope is just being obtuse or deliberately arch. As he points out Kiss have classic songs for days. The Dolls have maybe six songs in the same class. For my money only Cheap Trick's catlaogue goes as deep in terms of the sheer number of power pop gems.

having dug out my copy of Double Platinum [which IMHO is the only KISS record you need ]I have to agree,I'd include Thin Lizzy with Cheap Trick, but for 4 minute pop metal gems they are hard to beat, though it's noticeable that the majority of Paul Stanley or co write tracks is probably what makes it great

I think KISS have a problem with many folk [including it must be said myself] with Image & back history.The music really is secondary to the makeup, the big show and the money machine, KISS make no bones about it, they'll climb on any bandwagon, churn out any old shite as long as they think it will turn a buck, not helped by the fact that Gene appears generally to be a rather odious individual and generally lacking a sense of humour.
It's not heped by the blanket ignoring of the fact by KISS fans that a big chunk of their output is at best average and at worst genuinely vile, Peter Hammill fans don't seem to have a problem with the fact that he may have had a few off points, no one is claiming everything Dylan has touched is gold but supposedly a house without Animalize or Psycho Circus is home with no heart, and I'm not even going to mention The Elder.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Apr 20, 2012, 10:50
keith a wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
keith a wrote:
IanB wrote:
keith a wrote:
IanB wrote:

In my opinion of course!

But that's even worse, Squid!!

I can understand people who liked them when they were 16 feeling all warm and cuddly about them for nostalgic reasons. But not getting into them now - especially when you like some really interesting stuff.

You're being brainwashed by people here, man!!

I'm just trying to look out for ya! ; )

What nonsense! Am I not allowed a bit of brainless fun at my age? How ageist of you! You might find yourself eating your words in a few years time while blasting out Hotter Than Hell and painting your face...
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Apr 20, 2012, 10:53
I felt much the same as you a couple of years back. In my youth they were positively laughed at, and generally despised as the odious end of rock. In recent times though I've ditched all those ideas and just started to enjoy them for a bit of fun that they are. Nothing serious, just a bit of rock and roll goofery.
keith a
9573 posts

Apr 20, 2012, 10:56
Squid Tempest wrote:

You might find yourself eating your words in a few years time while blasting out Hotter Than Hell and painting your face...

I am prepared to wager five English pennies that you are wrong, sir!

Well not about the face-painting obviously...
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Apr 20, 2012, 12:17
keith a wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:

You might find yourself eating your words in a few years time while blasting out Hotter Than Hell and painting your face...

Only five pence Keith?

The small wager tells me that you might just be on the verge of Rock N' Rolling All Night, and Shouting It Out Loud.....;0)
keith a
9573 posts

Apr 20, 2012, 12:47
paradox wrote:
keith a wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:

Only five pence Keith?

The small wager tells me that you might just be on the verge of Rock N' Rolling All Night, and Shouting It Out Loud.....;0)

Or that I'm trying to learn to be careful with my pennies! ; )
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index