Which Kiss albums?

Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9573 posts

Re: Which Kiss albums?
Apr 19, 2012, 16:43
IanB wrote:

To my ear anyone trying to find some critical daylight between the Chuck Berry, MC5, The Dolls, Pistols and Kiss are kind of missing the point of what this music is for.

Surely Kiss have got more in common with Mike & Bernie Winters than any of those acts listed there?
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Apr 19, 2012, 22:03
Having said that, the repro covers are CRAP - you can't read the track titles. And no deluxe booklet oh no. Bah *waggles tongue* Still, loving the music ;-)
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Apr 19, 2012, 22:23
Ah, but do you feel like a 16 year old dumb head?
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Apr 19, 2012, 22:33
paradox wrote:
Ah, but do you feel like a 16 year old dumb head?

As always!
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Apr 19, 2012, 22:43
Me too!............Enjoy!

I actually played Hotter Than Hell earlier after all the talk on here...

Loved every dumb second.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Apr 20, 2012, 08:26
paradox wrote:
Me too!............Enjoy!

I actually played Hotter Than Hell earlier after all the talk on here...

Loved every dumb second.

... and that's exactly what it's for so why do they attract the snobbery?

I sometimes wonder if some of the HH readership think Cope is just being obtuse or deliberately arch. As he points out Kiss have classic songs for days. The Dolls have maybe six songs in the same class. For my money only Cheap Trick's catlaogue goes as deep in terms of the sheer number of power pop gems.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Apr 20, 2012, 08:26
keith a wrote:
IanB wrote:

To my ear anyone trying to find some critical daylight between the Chuck Berry, MC5, The Dolls, Pistols and Kiss are kind of missing the point of what this music is for.

Surely Kiss have got more in common with Mike & Bernie Winters than any of those acts listed there?

It's all dumb-ass party music. Kiss do it best.
Spaceship mark
Spaceship mark
1686 posts

Apr 20, 2012, 08:45
I was watching episode 3 of Sky Arts' comprehensive 'Metal Evolution' last night. I'd never heard (or heard of) 'Beth' before, I mean what the fuck is that? Peter Criss on a stool? I mean, I Mean.... What?
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Apr 20, 2012, 08:54
Spaceship mark wrote:
I was watching episode 3 of Sky Arts' comprehensive 'Metal Evolution' last night. I'd never heard (or heard of) 'Beth' before, I mean what the fuck is that? Peter Criss on a stool? I mean, I Mean.... What?

It's the Every Rose Has Its Thorn of its era. Whether that is a good things or not is another thing altogether. Tongues are firmly in cheeks. At least I think they are tongues.
keith a
9573 posts

Apr 20, 2012, 10:06
IanB wrote:
keith a wrote:
IanB wrote:

It's all dumb-ass party music. Kiss do it best.

Maybe they do in your opinion, Ian. But there's far more to the others you mentioned than that. Chuck Berry's clever, storytelling lyrics are far from dumb ass, the MC5 and the Pistols have, whether you or anyone else likes them or not, had a social and political resonance that Kiss haven't ever had so, for me at least, the critical daylight between these three and Kiss is actually quite blinding.

Maybe you have a point with the Dolls, but even there there is an outsider, dangerous aspect that is worlds apart from Kiss. But I accept that some of the Dolls stuff could be described as 'dumb ass' - Dance Like A Monkey from the re-formed version immediately comes to mind - but it's got a swagger, a looseness and power that Kiss could only dream about.

In my opinion of course!
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index