paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Re: Which Kiss albums?
Apr 20, 2012, 21:10
Squid Tempest wrote:
keith a wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
I've decided to spend it on Morrisey CDs to burn instead.

Of course another good reason for this would be to at least put the money in the hands of man who is a committed vegetarian, one who takes every opportunity to highlight any abuse of animals, rather than to a band who insist that viewers of their official channel on youtube have to watch a MacDonalds advert before they get to hear one of their tunes.

Edit: Just tried another and that was Weetabix first so it's not just MacDonalds

You got a point there. Still, y'know - Iggy and insurance? Lydon and butter? We'll get Geoffrey Prime popping in and telling us we think musicians shouldn't make any money if we're not careful.

Shit!......Quick,close down the thread!
I can put up with most folk on here but Geoffrey ain't one of them...80)
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Apr 20, 2012, 21:52
Did remember to look for their stuff in the local HMV to no avail. Better than I managed with Dr John last week which i totally blaked on when I was in there.
Also discovered that they had the new Will Oldham/Trembling Bells in the now miniscule folk section upstairs. Hadbeen lookibng for that in rock a couple of weeks back. Should have asked.

But anyway no KISS section in the local branch. At least not visible in main rock/pop & not in Heavy Metal either, can't think what else it could be under.
keith a
9572 posts

Apr 20, 2012, 23:14
Yes, very like Smokie's Chris Norman I thought.

Which Rod song is that kinda rips off. Is it You Wear It Well?
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Apr 21, 2012, 09:03
Yep, I always thought that KISS should have let Peter Criss sing more songs.
Love his Rod/Chris rasp.
Seb
Seb
600 posts

Apr 21, 2012, 20:58
Fuck KISS, it's the Vinnie Vincent Invasion you want. Even though he allegedly sped the tape up on his solos.

Vinnie Vincent is simply a legend, except amongst dog-owners.

I'll be having no internet fights about this. The truth is the truth.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Apr 22, 2012, 15:40
Apr 22, 2012, 15:39
Seb wrote:
Fuck KISS, it's the Vinnie Vincent Invasion you want. Even though he allegedly sped the tape up on his solos.

Vinnie Vincent is simply a legend, except amongst dog-owners.

I'll be having no internet fights about this. The truth is the truth.

Vinnie V! The man that got kicked out of a band called "The Vinnie Vincent Invasion". That is indeed an act of complete awesomeness!

I liked his Ankh-Wizard make-up with its 24 carat conk. That's magic!

ps Always had you down as a Mark St. John fan m'self ;^)
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Apr 22, 2012, 15:44
machineryelf wrote:
Do you seriously consider KISS to be better than Wire or Magazine? I'm not being funny here but if so you need to take stock.
I'm not a huge Wire fan but the first couple of Wire albums were serious game changers and Wire have constantly over the years kept up a high quality output, slightly more biased on Magazine who I rate second only to The Ramones in Punk hero stakes and were the first band that took punk up the right path as opposed to that frantic crass/oi road that it became known for.
KISS have written a few good tunes and put on some spectacular live shows, so has Robbie Williams.By all means like KISS but don't make anything of them beyond being a successful pop metal band who have been treading the same boards since '78 bar the odd [in both senses of the word]career diversion.

No. SIGH. It's not a case of being better than or my dad's bigger than yours.

I used those bands cos I know KeithA likes them LOTS and I was trying (obviously failing. If I wasn't clear enough I apologise) to illustrate/ask how he would feel, as a big fan, if his actual RIGHT to like those bands, let alone simply like ''em was routinely called into question every bloody time their name was mentioned!

For the record, if it matters, I like Magazine, not that fussed about Wire.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Apr 22, 2012, 16:41
Apr 22, 2012, 15:53
keith a wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:

I have long suspected that part of this (now tedious IMO) routine stems from the fact that one Julian Cope happens to like the rock band KISS and this does not sit well with certain amongst his fanbase. Well, guess what - he also likes Van Halen "OH NO!!! RUNAWAY! HUGE TRUAMA! END OF THE WORLD! AAAAIEEEEE!"

Well to put this into context for those of us who loved the Teardrop Explodes, Julian Cope not being into Scott and becoming a Kiss fan is akin to the following...

Imagine if Ian Curtis had lived and then all those years later he said he didn't really like Iggy Pop anymore, but he now loved The Dooley's.

Don't you think some old Joy Division fans would feel a trifle disappointed and mention it on an Ian Curtis discussion forum?

; )

Maybe they would. Personally, I'd say to 'em, seriously, whats the problem? If I was 18 maybe I'd be more arsed about such things. People, including musical heroes, such as they are, have divergent tastes. Either you accept that and go about your business and let people enjoy what they like - and we're talking bloody pop music here at the end of the day, not voting for the EDL or something - or you don't. Personally I'm for the former. Lifes too short to get in a twiz if my mate likes music I don't. If, however, you prefer the latter path i.e you feel the instant need to point out shortcomings etc ,percevived (by 'you') in something someone likes, be it KISS, Wire, S Club 7, god knows what, then you should, I think, question your motives for doing so, and also expect responses you might not like.

This was a thread started by someone asking KISS fans for advice. It turned into a plop-storm (again!) because the very ACT of liking KISS seems to upset some people in a way that is quite bewildering to me. Especially on a forum where open-mindedness is supposedly a virtue.

This is not about KISS - it's about not being apparently terrified by, or unwilling to accept, divergent tastes.

That's all it is.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Apr 22, 2012, 16:58
Apr 22, 2012, 16:50
machineryelf wrote:
.By all means like KISS but don't make anything of them beyond being a successful pop metal band who have been treading the same boards since '78 bar the odd [in both senses of the word]career diversion.

Er.. "By all means...?" Is that some sort of 'permission' being granted?

Actually, why can I not do that? If they are a reasonably important band to me, which they are, why can I not place them on level of personal importance that might not converge with your appraisal? Are there forms to fill in or something?

They are one thing to me, something else to you, and the world keeps spinning!

Huzzah!
keith a
9572 posts

Apr 22, 2012, 17:06
Moon Cat wrote:

Personally, I'd say to 'em, seriously, whats the problem? If I was 18 maybe I'd be more arsed about such things.

So why are you getting in such a tizz abut all this?

It's ridiculous. How many times have you mentioned me and Kiss in the same posts in a daft manner - posts that previously had nothing to do with Kiss. It's a bit of fun that we both go along with so I'm wondering when the goalposts suddenly moved here? I posted some daft things here and a more serious discussive reply to Ian B about Chuck Berry and the Dolls etc.

You're making a mountain out of nothing and seem to want to personalise this matter ('prejudiced', 'bullish', 'you should...', etc). Honestly, I don't need your advice on what I'm allowed to say on here and what I'm not. It's not your forum. And not everyone is going to fawn about the bands you like.

Whatever you might think, someone starting a post on what KISS LP's to buy hasn't upset me in the slightest. I'm a grown man who lives in the real world. I couldn't care less. As you say you're not 18 anymore, so stop being so arsed about something that really doesn't matter.

And open-mindedness works both ways.

Now will the real Mooncat come back, please?
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 111 12 13 14 15 16 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index