Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 4 March 2012 CE

66 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9573 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 4 March 2012 CE
Mar 04, 2012, 23:26
Modern Music – Be Bop Deluxe
Some good moments here – I particularly enjoyed hearing Kiss In Light again.

Psychedelic Revolution – Julian Cope
I played this once or twice when I first got it but then kinda avoided playing it further for a few weeks whilst all the big discussion were going down here. I think subconsciously that I didn’t want to be too influenced by all thoughts and opinions. But anyway, after hearing it again I like it – not sure how much I’m gonna end up rating it but the signs are good despite the, er, odd lyrical reservation.

Lost Souls – Doves
I've loved hearing this one again – a genuinely great LP IMO. Not sure they ever bettered this tbh.

The Infotainment Scan / Middle Class Revolt – The Fall
Neither are their best by any means, but as always there are tracks well worth hearing. I didn’t even remember It’s A Curse on the former, but it’s great!

Six – Mansun
It’s all over the shop, but you have to admire their ambition! I've also played their earlier Wide Open Space single loads this past week – what a fab pop song, with lots of interesting little bits going on in the background with the guitars and vocals.

Dead Cities, Red Seas, Lost Ghosts – M83
I think this was the 3rd week on the trot I've played this. I don’t know why I haven’t checked anything else by this fella, because I rate this electronic pop highly. Mournful is a word that tends to spring to mind! And one track, Gone, is one of my fave tracks of the past ten years.

Estefonia The Great EP – My Laundry Life
The first track on this is brilliant – it’s lovely melodic pop song pitched roughly somewhere between The Boy With The Thorn In His Side and Driving Away From Home.

Revolution EP – Retribution Gospel Choir
New material available as free download from the official website.

Playlist November 2006 – V/A
Old Uncut cd with a nifty track from Dan Sartain, the aforementioned Wide Open Space and a live version of Rescue by the Bunnymen with lots of Doorsy organ on it. I like this song a lot apart from the chorus which has always sounded a bit limp to my ears. I've always liked the “Is the blues I’m singing?” bit at the end, and I still do but it does a bit daft now, because no, it isn’t the blues, Ian. It’s early 80’s alternative pop sung by a Scouse bloke with a funny haircut and being a bit on the short-sighted side doesn’t make you Blind Lemon McCulloch. Still, it's an enjoyable version all the same!

Also...
Ass – Badfinger
Green River - Creedence Clearwater Revival
Giraffe - Echoboy
Spunk – Sex Pistols
Now & Then – The Who

Plus Live stuff by The Doors and Michael Rother, an old Radio session from The Kinks and a few old Moby singles.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index