Pages: 27 – [ Previous | 122 23 24 25 26 27 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Mar 02, 2012, 17:11
Re: Psychedelic Revolution
Mar 02, 2012, 16:20
Addendum Copius:

Had a few more listens and some tracks are really standing out for me now - Hooded & Benign and Vive Le Suicide being two faves, though Ravin on the Moor is classic Cope.

Just to add to what I was gibberng on about- it really strikes me that, amidst all the revolutionary rhetoric, it seems that there's a real contemplation of mortality running through this album, ranging from a 'going out with a bang' style last hurrah to the inevitable mutability of the self. Some of this album reads like a defiant love letter to life and some of it comes over like a suicide note!

I can't help but wonder, what with the selling off of the record collection and a 4 album releaseathon promised this year, if Julian isn't having something of an 'end of days' of moment, whether it's fueled by the Mayan thing or just a general apocalyptic reaction to how things are in 2012. The 2012 thing has manifested itself in the artworks of other albums too.

Perhaps another phase is coming to an end?
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

Mar 02, 2012, 16:25
And, apparently, the hair has already been shorn into a mohican!
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Mar 02, 2012, 16:47
Moon Cat wrote:
Addendum Copius:

I can't help but wonder, what with the selling off of the record collection and a 4 album releaseathon promised this year, if Julian isn't having something of an 'end of days' of moment, whether it's fueled by the Mayan thing or just a general apocalyptic reaction to how things are in 2012. The 2012 thing has manifested itself in the artworks of other albums too.

Perhaps another phase is coming to an end?

As The Fear Blows Over Me.
FOMouse
FOMouse
228 posts

Mar 02, 2012, 16:55
As The Beer Flows Into Me!

ps Salami on rye, hold the Mayans.

fnff fnff!
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Mar 02, 2012, 17:41
Moon Cat wrote:
some tracks are really standing out for me now - Hooded & Benign

I think Hooded & Benign is one of the best tracks I've heard from anyone. Ever. I want it played at my funeral. He really is a gifted fucker, innit? :)
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Mar 02, 2012, 20:23
Yes, he must be hitting some sort of nerve, as the album is nearly the most talked about thing on the unsung forum, and a lot more than anything by himself, he may be reaching out more than in a long time, like he said the last mohican was the last time on top of the pops!!! look out world.
HI DEN
HI DEN
814 posts

Mar 02, 2012, 21:05
Kid Calamity wrote:
And, apparently, the hair has already been shorn into a mohican!

Cos' Brian Eno told him to do it...
valis23
valis23
111 posts

Mar 02, 2012, 22:59
It struck me last night, listening to PR for the umpteenth time now, that this is Julian's first salvia album. I've been trying to put my finger on whatever makes this album sooooo different than anything he's done, and maybe salvia is a factor. There's something so "of the earth" about this record - my feet feel dirty when I've got it playing. It's epic and subtle, playful and sublime. Damn!
MrsSevenrealm
MrsSevenrealm
204 posts

Mar 03, 2012, 09:07
Aye, but only because he wants to take off the hat he's had on since 1927!
beltaneboy
beltaneboy
39 posts

Mar 04, 2012, 09:00
Yep - I agree - after many repeated plays, I think it's one of his best albums for ages, I loved 'YOU GOTTA PROBLEM...' too, I think it's on a par with that. As for taking 'revolutionary man' seriously, I think we all should take it very seriously indeed - IT IS TIME!
Pages: 27 – [ Previous | 122 23 24 25 26 27 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index